Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
May be time to move up to a larger coach

We have really enjoyed our 2013 Interstate EXT and have put 24,000 miles on it during the nearly two years we have owned it. It was our first RV so everything was new to us. We have come to love RV'ing and want to do more and stay out longer.

While we have taken two separate month long trips in our coach and have enjoyed them, there are times we wish we had a bit more room...and a quieter AC. We are at the point where we want to travel for a couple months or more at a time so we have decided to look for a somewhat larger coach. I have been keeping the AI in a 25'x40' storage building with a 12' high door. Finding a small class A diesel pusher that will fit through that door, and have at least close to the quality of the AI, has been a challenge.

We recently discovered that the 32' Tiffin Allegro Breeze has a 11'2" height. Last week we looked at a used one and we were very impressed with the quality. While it will not get the mileage of the AI, it does get respectable mileage for that type of unit. When I turned the key on, the cumulative mileage was showing 12.5 mpg. I can live with that. We are looking forward to new adventures.

This is a great forum and I have enjoyed being involved. All new AI owners should be spending time here. They will learn a lot.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
We have really enjoyed our 2013 Interstate EXT and have put 24,000 miles on it during the nearly two years we have owned it. It was our first RV so everything was new to us. We have come to love RV'ing and want to do more and stay out longer.

While we have taken two separate month long trips in our coach and have enjoyed them, there are times we wish we had a bit more room...and a quieter AC. We are at the point where we want to travel for a couple months or more at a time so we have decided to look for a somewhat larger coach. I have been keeping the AI in a 25'x40' storage building with a 12' high door. Finding a small class A diesel pusher that will fit through that door, and have at least close to the quality of the AI, has been a challenge.

We recently discovered that the 32' Tiffin Allegro Breeze has a 11'2" height. Last week we looked at a used one and we were very impressed with the quality. While it will not get the mileage of the AI, it does get respectable mileage for that type of unit. When I turned the key on, the cumulative mileage was showing 12.5 mpg. I can live with that. We are looking forward to new adventures.

This is a great forum and I have enjoyed being involved. All new AI owners should be spending time here. They will learn a lot.
Funny I'm at the same place. My 2016 has 18k miles. The Sprinter platform has been totally problem free. But after a while it gets tiresome yelling "watch your head" for the front tv and "clear the deck" when you want to maneuver through the van. I'm getting ready for a longer trip this Spring so the time may be right. I have been looking at coaches up to 33' which I don't want to go past so that I can park it in my garage courtyard. What I have found is there are no real luxury coaches until you reach at least 40ft. Very disappointed that no one has addressed this segment. At this point I think I am going to wait and see what the new Airstream Class b plus (C) looks like and if it will work. If they do it right it may be the best option for me. Good luck!
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Funny I'm at the same place. My 2016 has 18k miles. The Sprinter platform has been totally problem free. But after a while it gets tiresome yelling "watch your head" for the front tv and "clear the deck" when you want to maneuver through the van. I'm getting ready for a longer trip this Spring so the time may be right. I have been looking at coaches up to 33' which I don't want to go past so that I can park it in my garage courtyard. What I have found is there are no real luxury coaches until you reach at least 40ft. Very disappointed that no one has addressed this segment. At this point I think I am going to wait and see what the new Airstream Class b plus (C) looks like and if it will work. If they do it right it may be the best option for me. Good luck!
You might want to check this out. It is a nice looking coach and I hear good things about Tiffin, the manufacturer. Family owned since 1972 in Red Bay, AL.

http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...zeBrochure.pdf
Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
jerhofer and Harleydeal,

We are looking for an Interstate. We had a 1998 Airstream B190 but want to upgrade to something newer. Please send us a PM if you decide to sell.

Thanks, Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There are small Class As built on the Sprinter chassis and drivetrain. The Winnebago Via and Itasca Reyo come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. Not really any longer than an Interstate, but the extra width can make a big difference to livability.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
You might want to check this out. It is a nice looking coach and I hear good things about Tiffin, the manufacturer. Family owned since 1972 in Red Bay, AL.

http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...zeBrochure.pdf
I researched that coach and Tiffin. Tiffin makes a decent coach. However if you are looking at a pre 2016 Breeze you will see it has the Navistar Maxxforce 7 engine. I don't think you want that. I researched the engine because I was looking at a used Monaco Vesta which was only made in 2011 and 12 and had that engine also. You can Google and read the history of Navistar and that engine. Many problems and issues. Last week I actually called a Navistar repair facility and talked to the service manager. I asked him if he would ever buy a vehicle with that engine and his answer was "no". Ouch!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There are small Class As built on the Sprinter chassis and drivetrain. The Winnebago Via and Itasca Reyo come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. Not really any longer than an Interstate, but the extra width can make a big difference to livability.
I have looked at them and have to say the Interstate has spoiled us. The interiors on those are sub par. The concept is great. The execution.....not so much.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Have you looked at the Leisure Travel Vans Unity model with the Murphy bed? They are hard to find but from the limited research I've done, they are top notch.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Have you looked at the Leisure Travel Vans Unity model with the Murphy bed? They are hard to find but from the limited research I've done, they are top notch.
I have seen the Leisure Travel product and they are probably 2nd to Airstream in quality and style. I am hoping the new motorhome Airstream is coming out with in December will be an even more stylized and upgraded version of the Leisure Travel..
Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think overall Tiffin manufactures a good coach that will last a long time, but they lack the style and simple elegance of an Airstream.
At Southaven RV Center, Southaven, MS, the Interstates are the nicest looking coaches there even among $400,000-$600,000 Class AS diesel pushers, Class C, fifth wheels, and travel trailers.
Some of those big diesel buses and huge fifth wheels are downright tacky and gaudy, but still look really cheap and low quality.
They are over the top, sensory overload on unnecessary bling and wow.
I'm not sure I could sleep in a place so flashy and shiny.
I like low-key understated elegance.
The travel trailers are just cheap looking, but more conservative taste in styling.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Enjoy the road ahead.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Well, I hear you. I have a '14 FC 19. My kids are 8 and 11. Starting to get tight. For me it all boils down to dollars. Upgrading FC 19 to a 27 is doable financially, but there are indirect things that needs to be done. First, I need another TV that can tow a larger AS. Then I need to redo my driveway to accommodate the longer AS. Dealing with three fronts like that is not doable for us. One of them is doable, 'maybe' two if I take the college fund from the kids. No way to do three.

Not sure what your situation is, but I understand where you are coming from.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I have personally met and worked with the Tiffin family, from Bob that started it, the sons, and grandson that all still work and run it. I have never heard a bad thing about them or the motorhome service. Go by Red Bay, Al. and check them out.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have often tHought the only step up from an Airstream trailer has got to be a Tiffin Allegro Bus.
"Roughing it Smoothly"

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Some of those big diesel buses and huge fifth wheels are downright tacky and gaudy, but still look really cheap and low quality.
They are over the top, sensory overload on unnecessary bling and wow.
I'm not sure I could sleep in a place so flashy and shiny.
I like low-key understated elegance.
The travel trailers are just cheap looking, but more conservative taste in styling.
I agree. The Breeze has too much wood trim on the surrounds around the slide-outs. But it is far less gaudy than some I have seen. What i like about it is that the cabinet doors and the cabinet fronts are all hardwood. They even round the corners on the cabinets which makes them look richer.

The traditional style cabinets doors give it a completely different vibe from the AI. I looked at the photos of a Monaco Vesta which showed cabinets looking more AI like. However, after viewing a used model and finding that the cabinet doors were cheap laminated material which caused warping of some of the larger doors, I ruled them out. Plus, if I get a Class A, I don't want a front engine model. Very noisy as you are sitting on the motor. I am also told there is a lot more heat generated which makes it more difficult for the AC to keep up while driving.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
I have personally met and worked with the Tiffin family, from Bob that started it, the sons, and grandson that all still work and run it. I have never heard a bad thing about them or the motorhome service. Go by Red Bay, Al. and check them out.
Tiffin sponsors a forum much like this one. I read every post that mentioned "Breeze" in the title that was posted during the past year. Took me awhile. One thing that struck me was the lack of negative comments about the company. For the most part, the opposite was true as there were many instances mentioned where the company went above and beyond on warranty issues. There were many mentions of being able to directly talk to Bob Tiffin for the lowdown on some issue.

Another poster here mentioned the reliability of the Maxxforce 7 engine. I saw very few posts regarding engine issues with the Breeze on the Tiffin forum. And most of those were for minor issues that were related to building the motorhome. Navistar had a class action lawsuit about reliability issues on their line of larger motors used in over the road trucks.

When doing a Google search for the Maxxforce 7 engine, I did find some issues with it but I also found some companies had good reliability with them. Lots of diesel school buses use this same motor. Also, some installations of this motor have them much more highly stressed than the one used in the Breeze. Breeze motors are rated at 210hp/560 ft lb for the early ones and 240hp/620 ft lb for the later ones, while some companies use a 300hp/800 ft lb version.

One owner with his coach for sale was on his second Breeze. He put 35K miles on the 2013 that he traded for his current 2014. It has over 20K miles and he said he did not have issues with either motor. He surely would not have bought the second Breeze if he had issues with the first one. So who knows.

If it doesn't work out for us to make a change, that will be fine as we would continue traveling in our AI. And enjoying it.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Tiffin sponsors a forum much like this one. I read every post that mentioned "Breeze" in the title that was posted during the past year. Took me awhile. One thing that struck me was the lack of negative comments about the company. For the most part, the opposite was true as there were many instances mentioned where the company went above and beyond on warranty issues. There were many mentions of being able to directly talk to Bob Tiffin for the lowdown on some issue.

Another poster here mentioned the reliability of the Maxxforce 7 engine. I saw very few posts regarding engine issues with the Breeze on the Tiffin forum. And most of those were for minor issues that were related to building the motorhome. Navistar had a class action lawsuit about reliability issues on their line of larger motors used in over the road trucks.

When doing a Google search for the Maxxforce 7 engine, I did find some issues with it but I also found some companies had good reliability with them. Lots of diesel school buses use this same motor. Also, some installations of this motor have them much more highly stressed than the one used in the Breeze. Breeze motors are rated at 210hp/560 ft lb for the early ones and 240hp/620 ft lb for the later ones, while some companies use a 300hp/800 ft lb version.

One owner with his coach for sale was on his second Breeze. He put 35K miles on the 2013 that he traded for his current 2014. It has over 20K miles and he said he did not have issues with either motor. He surely would not have bought the second Breeze if he had issues with the first one. So who knows.

If it doesn't work out for us to make a change, that will be fine as we would continue traveling in our AI. And enjoying it.
My research on the Maxxforce 7 engine was while researching the Monaco Vesta. I never buy used vehicles but when researching small diesel coaches I found nothing I liked. I really liked the look and concept of the Vesta and thought if I could find a "cherry" used one I would customize it to suit my needs. That is when I researched the Maxxforce 7 engine. Not in the Breeze but in all vehicles. As is said, I was so concerned by it I called the service manager at Navistar. He told me in no uncertain terms that he would not buy it and that is why they no longer make them. I assume that is why Tiffin switched to the Cummins, a tried and true, in the '16 Breeze. That being said, Im sure there are people that have had no problem. but for me and the long distance travelling I plan on doing.....too risky.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
All roof mounted AC units are loud. The ONLY quiet ACs I've seen were AC units that were installed in the basement and just ran the cold air up to ceiling ducts. Not many RV builders do it that way.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
My research on the Maxxforce 7 engine was while researching the Monaco Vesta. I never buy used vehicles but when researching small diesel coaches I found nothing I liked. I really liked the look and concept of the Vesta and thought if I could find a "cherry" used one I would customize it to suit my needs. That is when I researched the Maxxforce 7 engine. Not in the Breeze but in all vehicles. As is said, I was so concerned by it I called the service manager at Navistar. He told me in no uncertain terms that he would not buy it and that is why they no longer make them. I assume that is why Tiffin switched to the Cummins, a tried and true, in the '16 Breeze. That being said, Im sure there are people that have had no problem. but for me and the long distance travelling I plan on doing.....too risky.
The Maxxforce 7 did not require DEF as they used a gas recirculation system to meet emissions. Those rules changed recently and their motor would no longer meet the standards. The Cummins they are now using requires DEF and the tank takes up one of the storage areas. The guy who had the 2014 unit that I talked with said the Cummins has less horsepower and was not as economical.

I read some posts on a school bus site about the Maxxforce 7 where they were discussing the subject of extensive idling. The company warned against idling the motor for long periods of time as that could be harmful to the EGR system. One of the guys, who was in charge of a school bus system, commented on how upset his drivers were when he installed a timer that would not let the motor idle longer than five minutes. He said they had a lot fewer issues once the timers were installed. If I recall correctly, Mercedes does not recommend extensive idling either.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The company warned against idling the motor for long periods of time as that could be harmful to the EGR system.

If I recall correctly, Mercedes does not recommend extensive idling either.
Diesel engines run for long periods at idle speed are subject to a phenomenon called "wet stacking" because the engine runs too cool, leading to unburned fuel being exhausted. You normally hear about it with generators, but it can also affect automotive and truck diesel engines that idle for long periods. This can play havoc with any kind of exhaust treatment system, whether EGR or DEF. It's not very good for turbochargers, either. Some engines have a separate "high idle" setting to help avoid wet stacking.