Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see.
The other is a 40'.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Airstream is coming out with a new motorhome that will likely be like the LTV but hopefully nicer that may start delivery in the Spring. Waiting to see what it looks like.
We were able to compare the AI alongside the Unity at the dealership and the QC of the AI was sorely lacking compared to the Unity. Like some of the AS "cheer leaders" here, we have had zero issues with our Unity in 3 years and almost 17,000 miles.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We are winding down a two month trek from Florida to California to Washington through Utah and Texas back to Florida and the AI became very small..

We are now considering a larger coach for when we head to Yellow Stone and Glacier National park..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
We are now considering a larger coach for when we head to Yellow Stone and Glacier National park..
My plan for next summer is to go from here in NC out west again. Up through Indiana to visit relatives, on to Rochester, MN to see our granddaughter (She and her husband are a nurse and doctor, respectively, at Mayo), on to Glacier, up to Calgary and Banff and Jasper National Parks, over to Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, visit Crater Lake, and Grand Teton, and then back home. We have been to Yellowstone but may visit there again as well. And that is why we are making a change to something larger. I haven't laid out the trip yet but I suspect it will be at least two months, maybe three.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
We are winding down a two month trek from Florida to California to Washington through Utah and Texas back to Florida and the AI became very small..

Seems to be an epidemic of us outgrowing the AI. It's a great coach that makes you want to get out there more. Unfortunately it's not a coach that you can get out there that much more. I'm heading to Denver in a couple of weeks to trade the AI in on the bigger rig and starting a National Park trip from there. In a bed. A real bed. Heck I might even get up while my wife is standing too and just walk around. Ahhhhh. Space.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Seems to be an epidemic of us outgrowing the AI. It's a great coach that makes you want to get out there more. Unfortunately it's not a coach that you can get out there that much more. I'm heading to Denver in a couple of weeks to trade the AI in on the bigger rig and starting a National Park trip from there. In a bed. A real bed. Heck I might even get up while my wife is standing too and just walk around. Ahhhhh. Space.
Ha, ha. We understand fully. On the Tiffin network there are many that say the Breeze does not have enough room or storage. We won't know what to do with all of the room and storage.

I only wish the Breeze, or any of the others, would drive as well as the AI. That is what I will miss the most. That and the fuel mileage. One of my other concerns is how comfortable the seats will be in any other motorhome. We have never felt fatigue from the AI seats even on a 12 hour day.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Big is great for use as a second home at favorite destinations. Big is not so great for easy traveling with much more planing required to find places along the way to your destination that can accommodate larger size rigs. We have a 45 Prevost Bus that is very comfortable to live in, but it requires a lot more room to maneuver and park. We use it for longer trips, primarily out to Colorado for the summer months, we are in Breckenridge now. We use our AI for shorter trips to smaller camping venues and for travel between our homes. This winter we drove the AI out to Colorado for a two week trip, and It was a great contrast to compare the difference in the ease of driving the small rig vs the Big rig. We only slept in the AI on the way out and the way back. It was fine for the five night trips, but I am not sure we would want to use it for a Month long trip. We do have an 80 lb dog we travel with. The compromises involved between big and small rigs seem to be all about the intended uses.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not to throw a wet towel on those movin' on up....but Doug and I traveled up to 4 months, and lived to tell the tale.

We never wanted bigger, even 146,000 miles later, when it became solo me.

But...small is not for everyone.

Maggie
Old 07-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Ha, ha. We understand fully. On the Tiffin network there are many that say the Breeze does not have enough room or storage. We won't know what to do with all of the room and storage.

I only wish the Breeze, or any of the others, would drive as well as the AI. That is what I will miss the most. That and the fuel mileage. One of my other concerns is how comfortable the seats will be in any other motorhome. We have never felt fatigue from the AI seats even on a 12 hour day.
I have been in a Breeze recently and comparing it to the AI you got yourself a mansion sir! Seems the people that feel short on storage are full timers. I can't imagine what I would put in there to fill it up? The Breeze I sat in the other day was very comfortable. The AI seats for me were pretty comfortable but being 6'3" tall the seat cushions were way too short for me. Now the new coach I'm picking up actually has air ride seats. I get goosebumps just thinking about them!
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Seems like you two may miss out on two - maybe three - important advantages of the AI: being able to easily drive into - and park - in a city; to drive into many federal and state parks with size limitations; and dry camping. I would hate to give up any of those. Perhaps that's not part of your scene?

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We have a LTV Unity that is 24'6" and 7' plus wide. After three years, we have had no issues with parking on the streets or navigating through citys. State and federal campgrounds generally restrict length to 25' or 30'. We boon docked last weekend in Utah.

Actually, a crew cab pickup with an 8' bed and dual rear wheels is probably more difficult to drive through LA than my Unity!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Seems like you two may miss out on two - maybe three - important advantages of the AI: being able to easily drive into - and park - in a city; to drive into many federal and state parks with size limitations; and dry camping. I would hate to give up any of those. Perhaps that's not part of your scene?

We have only dry camped once so that is not a big priority for us. We enjoy staying at nice RV campgrounds.

The Breeze, at 33' long and 11'2" high is still small enough to enter state and national parks. As an example, there were larger units than the Breeze in Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

In May of 2015 we did a two week trip which included stops in Philadelphia and Boston. That was our first trip pulling our Fiat Abarth. While the AI is relatively small, it would have been a challenge finding parking spaces for it in those cities. On the other hand, finding a parking space for the Fiat was very easy. The AI's fuel mileage was great but not even close to that of the Fiat.

Based on the above, we probably should have gone with a larger unit from the get go. But, don't get me wrong. We have really enjoyed our AI and will miss many of its benefits.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We custom-built a stick house to comprise about 2,000 square feet for living, 500 square feet for my offices, and 800 square feet for a workshop. Even though we have this rambling monstrosity, the end of the day finds at least three of us (two humans and a dog) literally within 15 square feet of space in the great room. We actually tend to spread out more when we are all in the Interstate vs. the stick house. Go figure.

The Interstate hasn't felt too small yet, but we haven't gone on months long trips yet either. But if anything, I've found that it keeps feeling bigger and bigger. Jeez, we even have a back porch on it now. As the old saying goes, it's not the size - it's what you do with it (although I suggest not taking that particular thread tangent any further). Customizing as much of the Interstate as possible has made it feel far larger than it originally felt to me.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote