Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fairhope , Alabama
I completely agree with Boxter1971. Mike and Lew provided advice on my solar/battery upgrade to my 2016 Grand Tour. Attached file is a summary of my changes showing locations for equipment. My goal was to accomplish the upgrade without sacrificing any interior space.

I very seldom post, put have obtained invaluable advice from this page. Hopefully others can gain some ideas from my upgrade, which is very similar to Mike's.

Steve
Wiring upgrades.pdf
EA-6B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
I was just at Jackson Center OH a month or so ago and I can tell you based on my experience with the tech wasn't a positive one. He just kept telling me
"that's why they have generators installed". I spent hours there and left with the same issue, very disappointing. Any and all solutions that I came up with, because they had none other than the generator comment, which included adding two additional batteries was extremely expensive and their hourly rate is $180. My workaround would've also involved modifying the battery tray to house 6V batteries which they never done for my year, make and mode rig. The price they quoted me ridiculously in my opinion considering that at the time I paid good money for my righ, owned my rig for 1.5 months and I couldn't boondock for more than 30 minutes before the generator kicked on.
It's bad when you spend that much money, wait for delivery, then have that kind of experience at Jackson Center. Sounds like you got a new rig whose batteries were abused before delivery (it happens), but whatever, Airstream should make it right. Our 2012 AS Avenue class b with a very similar floorplan to your "19" model, has a compressor fridge could go all evening and night running the fridge, tv, lights, and Maxxfan or Furnace and still have over 50% batteries the next morning (13 hrs. later). So something is definitely wrong with yours.

I recently did a 200Ah lithium upgrade mainly to power a larger inverter so we could use the microwave and get rid of the corroding lead-acid wet cells. But if not for wanting to run the microwave, we could have just upgraded back to sealed AGM's to solve the corrosion problem and still been satisfied. You should not be having your problem. Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
It's bad when you spend that much money, wait for delivery, then have that kind of experience at Jackson Center. Sounds like you got a new rig whose batteries were abused before delivery (it happens), but whatever, Airstream should make it right. Our 2012 AS Avenue class b with a very similar floorplan to your "19" model, has a compressor fridge could go all evening and night running the fridge, tv, lights, and Maxxfan or Furnace and still have over 50% batteries the next morning (13 hrs. later). So something is definitely wrong with yours.

I recently did a 200Ah lithium upgrade mainly to power a larger inverter so we could use the microwave and get rid of the corroding lead-acid wet cells. But if not for wanting to run the microwave, we could have just upgraded back to sealed AGM's to solve the corrosion problem and still been satisfied. You should not be having your problem. Good luck.
Since I live in the midwest (MO), upgrading to lithium in a cold weather climate that we have, wouldn't be the best move for me. There are now low temperature lithium battery but those seem to be relatively new batteries. Currently my work around is a automatic transfer switch and a Goal Zero which gets me through the night as long as I change the Magnum control to not to charge the house batteries.

Do you have 4x 6V or 12V batteries because that's makes a difference compared to my 2x 12v which gives me 80 amp hours total. I've had issues with the dealership switching out my batteries, the first go around which is questionable rather the work was done or not but they've agreed to switch one out during my next visit later this month.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
What is the approximate cost?
Robkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Since I live in the midwest (MO), upgrading to lithium in a cold weather climate that we have, wouldn't be the best move for me. There are now low temperature lithium battery but those seem to be relatively new batteries. Currently my work around is a automatic transfer switch and a Goal Zero which gets me through the night as long as I change the Magnum control to not to charge the house batteries.

Do you have 4x 6V or 12V batteries because that's makes a difference compared to my 2x 12v which gives me 80 amp hours total. I've had issues with the dealership switching out my batteries, the first go around which is questionable rather the work was done or not but they've agreed to switch one out during my next visit later this month.
We originally had only a paultry two group 27 batteries (75Ah each; 75 total useable for two) and were able to easily do one overnight of 15-16 hrs when reaching boondock location about 5-6pm and leaving at 9-10am the next morning.

The only unique thing we did was use a 12v tv so we never had to turn on the inverter which would have added additional drain. As I said, we used lights, tv, compressor fridge, and furnace or Maxxfan (depending on temperature). Your model is much newer and may have different components than our old Suburban furnace for example, plus multiplex panels, but I maintain you batteries should get you through the night. I'm surprised AS thought ypur generator auto start was normal in a shorter period than over night. Especially as frequently as you have described.

I hope others with your model or even late model Interstates will chime in here.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
We originally had only a paultry two group 27 batteries (75Ah each; 75 total useable for two) and were able to easily do one overnight of 15-16 hrs when reaching boondock location about 5-6pm and leaving at 9-10am the next morning.

The only unique thing we did was use a 12v tv so we never had to turn on the inverter which would have added additional drain. As I said, we used lights, tv, compressor fridge, and furnace or Maxxfan (depending on temperature). Your model is much newer and may have different components than our old Suburban furnace for example, plus multiplex panels, but I maintain you batteries should get you through the night. I'm surprised AS thought ypur generator auto start was normal in a shorter period than over night. Especially as frequently as you have described.

I hope others with your model or even late model Interstates will chime in here.
I started this topic on Facebook Airstream page and got alot of responses. The consensus seems to be that the 2x 12V 80 usable amp/hrs isn't enough to support overnight boondocking. When you add inverter, lights, laptop, tv, consoles, heater fan, refrigerator, charging phone and any other item that maybe drawing amps. I'm hoping replacing the 2018 battery resolves my problem but I serious doubt it because other AI 19 owners are having issues.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
...The consensus seems to be that the 2x 12V 80 usable amp/hrs isn't enough to support overnight boondocking. .
2017 GT. I have 4 x 12v 80AH batteries, and confirm they are barely enough to get through one night if I run refrigeration & freezer. Turning off freezer overnight helps a lot. In future I will convert to the 6v batteries.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Ventura , California
Photo of 4 solar panels on an Interstate

Those of you who h ave installed 4 100 watt solar panels on your Interstate...Do you have photos as to where you placed the panels? Advice?
Land Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	373735Not a great view of it. There are 2 panels, side by side at the rear.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Installed mine in two phases; two 100W panels forward in 2013 by reversing the MaxxAir fan housing. Added two more panels behind the A/C unit in 2015 along with a battery and inverter upgrade. System has been trouble free for last five years. My Interstate has gone over 120,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	400 watts on AI.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	373782  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Installed mine in two phases; two 100W panels forward in 2013 by reversing the MaxxAir fan housing. Added two more panels behind the A/C unit in 2015 along with a battery and inverter upgrade. System has been trouble free for last five years. My Interstate has gone over 120,000 miles.
Boxster1971, Did you fabricate the roof rail crossbars and brackets, or are they available for purchase somewhere?
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
I have an appointment in late August for the same reason, I’m looking forward to the extra power. I’m not a boondocker, although one nighters off the grid do occur. Our big issue is when we stop on the road for the day for a tour or hike, when we return the batteries are down significantly.
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
Boxster1971, Did you fabricate the roof rail crossbars and brackets, or are they available for purchase somewhere?
The crossbars and upright brackets are from Rhino-Rack. I did have to fabricate a special plate to go under the awning. Just made it from a piece of flat aluminum. If I was doing it today I'd use the brackets from DIYvan.

https://diyvan.com/
Old 07-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
I’m curious why a battery upgrade requires you going to Jackson Center. What problems are you having? Are you relocating the batteries or just swapping for new ones?
Adding battery tray and two more batteries like the 2019 GT. My local Airstream Dealer was not helpful AND his pricing was clearly saying I don’t want this job.
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by billramp View Post
Adding battery tray and two more batteries like the 2019 GT. My local Airstream Dealer was not helpful AND his pricing was clearly saying I don’t want this job.

Since Airstream is adding Lithium batteries to their 2021 models as an upgrade, you might want to investigate what it would take to have them do that upgrade if you've considered lithium as an option.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Since Airstream is adding Lithium batteries to their 2021 models as an upgrade, you might want to investigate what it would take to have them do that upgrade if you've considered lithium as an option.
What is the source of your information on lithium option on 2021 models? I've looked at the Airstream web site and the 2021 brochures. There is no mention of a lithium battery option.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:30 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Interstate Battery & Solar Panel Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
What is the source of your information on lithium option on 2021 models? I've looked at the Airstream web site and the 2021 brochures. There is no mention of a lithium battery option.
My source is our FB Airstream Nineteen page and me calling Airstream and speaking with customer service Mike. We have communicated via email and phone all last week. Also, I called Airstream yesterday and requested a quote to upgrade my 2020 AI19. The service tech said they haven’t created a price list for an upgrade but will get back with me Monday with a quote. The picture attached is part of a 2021 AI19 build sheet which mentions this much needed option. I will say that a half of the parts are already on my rig based on my conversation with Mike.

I also called and spoke with BB to confirm the partnership between Airstream and BB. They assured me that the batteries will be warrantied. I asked about the warranty because Airstream is housing the batteries outside the chassis. In my neck of the country, we get below freezing during the winter months.

There are several FB members who have confirmed with their dealer that their rig will include the lithium package.

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	374004
Old 07-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #58
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Nice, it’s about time they caught on to the idea of lithium batteries in Class B camper vans.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Ventura , California
Mounting solar panels on roof

First, thank you so much to those who responded with photos of 4 100 watt panels on the Interstate roof.

See that AM Solar recommends 3M tape and Dicor sealant to fix the panels on a fiberglass roof. Same for the Interstate? No need for screws?
Land Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
My source is our FB Airstream Nineteen page and me calling Airstream and speaking with customer service Mike. We have communicated via email and phone all last week. Also, I called Airstream yesterday and requested a quote to upgrade my 2020 AI19. The service tech said they haven’t created a price list for an upgrade but will get back with me Monday with a quote. The picture attached is part of a 2021 AI19 build sheet which mentions this much needed option. I will say that a half of the parts are already on my rig based on my conversation with Mike.

I also called and spoke with BB to confirm the partnership between Airstream and BB. They assured me that the batteries will be warrantied. I asked about the warranty because Airstream is housing the batteries outside the chassis. In my neck of the country, we get below freezing during the winter months.

There are several FB members who have confirmed with their dealer that their rig will include the lithium package.
OK - thanks for the info. Battle Born like other lithium batteries do have well documented issues at freezing temperatures. Here is what Battle Born's web site FAQ says about temperature restrictions:

"Battle Born Batteries protect themselves from charging in cold temperatures and won’t accept a charge once the internal cell temperature drops to 24°F. At this point they will continue to discharge even down to -4°F. At this temperature we recommend no longer pulling power to avoid damaging the batteries.

Insulated battery boxes, heating blankets, and placing your battery bank inside your RV will help keep the temperature stable. On the high end of temperature range, the batteries will shut down once 135°F is reached."

Source:https://battlebornbatteries.com/faq/

If Airstream just installs these Battle Born batteries in the current outside battery trays in place of the AGM batteries they will limit their coaches to moderate climates. A better solution would be insulated battery boxes with built-in heaters as recommended by Battle Born.

Since the Airstream Interstate and Atlas have no capability to use the water systems in freezing temps this will likely not be a significant limitation. But I use my Interstate year round as a second vehicle so this type of lithium installation wont work for me.