Old 08-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Yes. I'm half tHinking with the valve extensions, and ability to check and add air, may not need TPMS

Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
Yes. I'm half tHinking with the valve extensions, and ability to check and add air, may not need TPMS
Nothing wrong with half thinking. I'm a half-wit, so I half-think all the time!

The proof that I'm a half-wit is that I'm a smartass and a dumbass all at once, so that averages out as halfassed…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I went with the ones in this link about two years ago and have had no problems. They are designed for Alcoa outer and OEM steel wheels like we have on our Interstates.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...-valve-dl1spal
If you are a member of Good Sam, I would recommend ordering these from them. They are about $35.00 less expensive. If you live near a Camping World they may have them in stock, but I would not recommend having them installed by Camping World.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Nothing wrong with half thinking. I'm a half-wit, so I half-think all the time!

The proof that I'm a half-wit is that I'm a smartass and a dumbass all at once, so that averages out as halfassed…
I opened myself up to that one! ha
Old 08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post

But TPMS will warn you of leaking tire, wheel or valve.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
But TPMS will warn you of leaking tire, wheel or valve.
But if you do decide to install TPMS on your duals, be advised that you'll first have to replace the rubber valve stems of the inner duals with metal ones. The extra weight of a valve-stem-mounted TPMS will actually damage the rubber valve stem as the tire rotates and cause the very leaks you're trying to detect.

Oh, and don't forget to TPMS your spare tire, too.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
So I'm going to get these, but have a few questions:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/image/...it-dl1spal.jpg

1) I assume the long stems are for the inners, and the shorter, curved ones for the outers?
2) are there only 4 in a set? what about the front? do I buy another set and, if so, which stems would I use...I presume shorter, curved ones? (my vehicle isn't close by, so I'm not looking at the wheels right now)
3) what are those flat "trays" at the bottom of the photo?
4) how specific is the model number of these to the exact wheel I have? (again, don't know precisely because I'm not looking at the vehicle) OR are they pretty universal?

Thanks for any input. I"m going to have my MB dealer put them on, but he suggested I buy the exact ones I want and they'll install

Will probably get the TST tpms as well.

Thanks again for all the helpful info in this thread.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
1) I assume the long stems are for the inners, and the shorter, curved ones for the outers?

Yes correct.

2) are there only 4 in a set? what about the front? do I buy another set and, if so, which stems would I use...I presume shorter, curved ones? (my vehicle isn't close by, so I'm not looking at the wheels right now)

Only used on the rear axle as the front is easy accessible.

3) what are those flat "trays" at the bottom of the photo?

This will fill the cutout in the rim where the extension passes trough. It will support the long extension.

4) how specific is the model number of these to the exact wheel I have? (again, don't know precisely because I'm not looking at the vehicle) OR are they pretty universal?

I am not sure if there is any specifics but I have the same and they fit OK. You may have to bend them a little to make the TPMS to fit. They are bendable bit easy but they will bend without breaking.

You also need the rubber valves in the steel rims ( inner dually ) replaced with steel valves.
This is important as otherwise the rubber valves will leak slowly.

I would go to a tire place to get this installed as the have more experience then your Mercedes place.

I have them installed on my Interstate as well as on my Skydeck including my toad and they work real well.

Safe travels

Peter
Old 08-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Standard "snap-in" rubber valves like TR413 are only rated 65 psi MAX. But they are cheap so are used many times.
There are some special "high pressure rubber valves" but bolt in are a better option.

Yes the large rubber "trays" are wheel specific as different brand (Ford, Chevy, MB etc) have different size "hand holes" the folks selling the valve should have the correct rubber supports for your vehicle.

One thing few people think about when using air chuck or pressure gauge is the stress they are placing on the tire valve rubber grommet (where valve goes through the wheel) and they just push hard with the gauge or air chuck.
You should ALWAYS support the valve stem with your hand when pressing on the stem. Only time you can get away with not supporting valve is with a short straight stem as you probably have on the front.

Bottom line if there is any bend in the valve stem support it and keep it from bending or moving when using air chuck or pressure gauge.