Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Southampton , New York
Gun safe for Interstate?

We own a concealed carry pistol and a 26" shotgun which we would like to carry on our Interstate while traveling and camping. We are sure most Interstate owners must have similar needs, or at least need a place to safely stow valuables. Ideally we would lock both weapons in one of the the overhead compartments to the rear of the Interstate. We contacted Airstream and Sugatsune, the manufacturer of the pop-out knobs, but locks for the pop-out knobs are not available. Suggestions for where to stow a pistol and/or a short shot-gun are appreciated. Thx.
captrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Captrobbie. Welcome to Air Forums. You should know off the top that self defense-related posts have a track record of going sideways or south on this forum, and are frequently suspended and/or have their posts cherry-picked by moderators who are acting according to forum rules.

What I've found is that such discussions are more fruitful by starting with a self-defense-related forum and branching the discussion into the realm of the Class B, rather than starting with any given RV or Class B forum and branching the discussion into the realm of self-defense.

With that in mind, there is an active thread on another forum that deals with this very topic. I'll PM you with the information on it. Anyone else who wants the info is also free to PM me.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captrobbie View Post
We own a concealed carry pistol and a 26" shotgun which we would like to carry on our Interstate while traveling and camping. We are sure most Interstate owners must have similar needs, or at least need a place to safely stow valuables.
One possible place for a rifle or shotgun rack is on the back side of the rear overhead compartment, between the compartment and the rear doors. Reachable by a person lying in the bed but out of view except when the rear doors are open. And when the rear doors ARE open, too high for someone at ground level to reach.

For a large-frame pistol, there are two plastic map compartments in the front doors into which a holster can be fastened (probably a paddle-type would be easiest to modify).

For a small-frame pistol, a holster mounted underneath the rear cup holders (on the sofa/lounge models) near the low-point drain valves would be possible as well. Lift out the cup holder and reach in to retrieve the pistol— as long as the sofa/bed is in sofa mode. This is also good concealment for other small valuables besides firearms, especially if one normally leaves the sofa/bed in bed mode.

None of these options is really suitable for a gun safe, but are at least discrete.

If you don't anticipate using the firearms for self-defense in transit, another possibility would be a locked safe mounted underneath the vehicle and fastened securely to the frame. There is unused space under an Interstate where a small safe or hard-sided travel case could be mounted. Not easy to get to, but possibly the best way to carry hunting weapons since it places the (unloaded) firearms completely out of reach of anyone inside the vehicle and so provides compliance with a majority of state firearm transport laws.

Awareness of gun transport laws where one travels is of paramount importance to anyone considering traveling with a firearm, and those laws vary widely by state and sometimes by municipality, as I'm sure you know. My state, Louisiana, is very permissive with regard to firearms transport, and allows firearms to be carried loaded and concealed in the vehicle, even within reach of the (Louisiana resident, not necessarily visitor) driver, as long as they are not concealed on one's person— unless one has a valid concealed carry permit. But as soon as I cross the border into Texas, Arkansas, or Mississippi, the three states bordering Louisiana, the rules change drastically.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
lock box/safe

yeah I don't know about that first reply, but to answer your question Captrobbie, there are some good lock/strong boxes available. Look at Quadratec.com and 4WD.com . These cater to 'Jeeps' and Jeep accessories. I have two, so I know
Jeeps with soft tops and hard tops are always easy targets for thieves, so there are companies that specifically build lock boxes and storage boxes of various shapes and sizes to keep valuables.
Tuffy comes to mind. You can look over the secure storage and see if any fit a small space in your Interstate. I see in the Quadratec catalog they have ones that mount under the seats for concealment just as you describe
I have a Tuffy box in the back of my TJ wrangler, and its pretty tough.
You maybe able to take the dimensions of teh security box description and make a cardboard prototype before you order, That way you can test it out in you space.
I don't know about one long enough for the shotgun, you may have to break that down to store.
I hope you find something that works for you. Good question.
See, no hyperventilation on the answer
Have a good one!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Awareness of gun transport laws where one travels is of paramount importance to anyone considering traveling with a firearm, and those laws vary widely by state and sometimes by municipality, as I'm sure you know. ....
My guess is that the OP does know this. Looking at the ID tile, (s)he is from one of the most restrictive states in the union.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
A wall lock like this should work for the shotgun in the closet or under a cabinet: https://www.hornady.com/security/rap...tgun-wall-lock

This ‘gun vault’ might also make a good van safe (1911 not included)
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captrobbie View Post
We own a concealed carry pistol and a 26" shotgun which we would like to carry on our Interstate while traveling and camping. We are sure most Interstate owners must have similar needs, or at least need a place to safely stow valuables.
This question did cross my mind, but held back on asking due to the sensitivity of the topic & discussions getting side-tracked (as INTERBLOG so eloquently put). But certainly, the "safely stowing valuables" does not only have to be guns. Full disclosure before I give my opinion, I am a long time CCW holder & hunt every so often. With grandchildren (and one can argue, even with adults), I have to always worry about gun safety & proper storage in residence/vehicle.

There are really many areas to "safely store valuables" with locks if you want. But you would have to either add them or do some mod of the existing hardware. For example, if I wanted to carry a couple of rifles just in a rack, I would do what PROTAGONIST suggested. But if I wanted it in a locked case (inside the rv), I would probably remove the galley valance and shades (ala Tommy Bahama style) and create a custom enclosure with a lockable flip-down panel where the also locked rifle cases would be. Or you could hang those cases (weatherpoof kind) inside the bathroom aisle wall. For pistols (or jewelry, etc) handrests & headrests are usually zippered or velcro'ed, their foam could be hollowed out to store items or even the inside bottoms of the swivel captains chairs. They may not be locked bins but you can have trigger locks. Or you can bolt a small safe between the 2 front seats (or anywhwere for that matter) . They can be vertical (but may hinder swivel function) or horizontal on floor. You are only limited by your imagination and budget. Pics below are made by Titan Safes.

Name:   titan1-300x300.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  28.5 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-2020-02.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	308082

Click image for larger version

Name:	titan4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	308083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One possible place for a rifle or shotgun rack is on the back side of the rear overhead compartment, between the compartment and the rear doors. Reachable by a person lying in the bed but out of view except when the rear doors are open. And when the rear doors ARE open, too high for someone at ground level to reach.
This is the perfect spot for a couple long rifles & the 1st location I would consider if I needed it. May have to fashion a homemade rack because most of the store-bought racks may be too deep and hit inside of doors when closed. Have not done any hunting in awhile, so my need for a long gun rack is a low priority for now.

With regards to locks on cabinets, you can find locks that can retrofit our cabinets, just go to any locksmith or cabinet shop. But those would not be as strong as a safe. It is just as easy to drill a hole on the left/right sides of the rear center storage bin frame for a metal pin/rod to secure door without some fancy lock.

Your solution will depend on whether you are primarily concealing from sight or concealing to be hard to steal
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
We will be hitting the road full time for several months very soon... boondocking is in our future as my wife wants to roam free without a schedule (yes, I've done my best to add some sense to the conversation). While I believe in every sane person being able to protect themselves, I do not own one and my plan is this....

I plan on having a dummy wallet with a little cash and some expired credit cards. My cash will be hidden in envelopes in one or two of about 20 locations that you all know are available inside an AI.

I'll let you know if I ever need to deploy the dummy wallet. Oh, and I will advise the perp that he's being recorded and does he really want to continue with this transaction....
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
... I am a long time CCW holder ...
Both LB_3 and I are as well. And we know of others here who are, but who choose not to announce it.

I have actually been working on some related strategy issues in the specific context of the Interstate itself. I may have more to share on that later.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Both LB_3 and I are as well. And we know of others here who are, but who choose not to announce it.

I have actually been working on some related strategy issues in the specific context of the Interstate itself. I may have more to share on that later.
Very much looking forward to it.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gun safes for installation

This company makes gun safes for underseat as well as in variety of areas:

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
My intent is not to offend anyone, however if you are asking this question, not sure you should have a gun.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
Airstream owner 30 years

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bev Hills , California
alternative to guns

First, many National Parks do not allow guns. Be cognizant of the regulations.
Second, in some states, using a gun in "self defense" can be prosecuted as a felony and it must be shown you feel your life or family was seriously threatened. It is not as easy as one thinks
Third, an alternative with less downslde is to use one of the projectile devices that shoot cayenne pepper spray and capsain, as well as tear gas, up to 25-30 feet. The devices are inexpensive, do not result in loss of life, and result in far more incapacitating for 30 minutes than the pepper spray sold in most stores, which is basically ineffective
Just a thought, not a political statement
Keithkleinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I warned the OP, did I not?

Those of us who participate in this realm of ownership are ALWAYS asking questions. It comes with the territory.

Even if we think we already know some possible answers, we ask anyway, because we know that our individual knowledge is incomplete, and we know that we have plenty to learn from the suggestions and ideas of other owners.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #15
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
A wall lock like this should work for the shotgun in the closet or under a cabinet: https://www.hornady.com/security/rap...tgun-wall-lock

This ‘gun vault’ might also make a good van safe (1911 not included)
I concur.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the information in this thread. We need not debate the underlying premise to recognize that the information is a good resource for multiple purposes.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
2023 27' Globetrotter
2022 Atlas
Eaton Rapids , Michigan
We bought the Pacsafe from Amazon for our valuables while traveling in the 2016 Interstate GT. Looped cable around the rear lounge square tube framework below the seat; accessible from inside or while outside with the rear doors open.

Pacsafe Travelsafe 5L GII Portable Safe
Eatonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In some states, even the pepper spray may be an issue, so due diligence of the process under consideration is necessary down to the local town level, just in case, as they say.

A parallel thought is that Illinois and some other states have mandated the use of B20 diesel. That would ruin my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI v6 turbo diesel and 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins engines as they are explicitly limited to 5% bio-diesel. So I have to research now where I can get non-bio-diesel for every trip.

Just part of the exercise of attempting to use today's current freedom of movement in the States. Don't know what we may have tomorrow.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
In some states, even the pepper spray may be an issue, so due diligence of the process under consideration is necessary down to the local town level, just in case, as they say....
Pepper spray is generally illegal in Canada unless it is the kind with the bear's picture on the front of the can.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Since you have a 26" barrel shotgun I guess it was what you had in the closet at home for hunting. While my barrel length in the field, it would not be the length I would want for your purpose. Buy an extra 18.5" or 20" barrel to put on your shotgun and continue your search for a locking mechanism to secure it. Since I don't know what the inside of your Interstate is (you are in that forum) then I can't recommend a long gun box right off hand. Gunvault was mentioned earlier for handguns, you should also check out the vaults made by Hornady Manufacturing.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote