Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Betting pool II: The worst that could happen (version: 2019)

Last year I launched what unfortunately turned into an epic 153-replies thread. It was called Betting pool: The worst that could happen, and I posted it before I set out on my 6,300-mile annual round trip to Canada.

It was originally intended as a tongue-in-cheek lighthearted competition - whoever could guess the worst thing that WOULD go wrong with our Interstate - because something always goes wrong - would become the proud recipient of bragging rights plus I would mail that person a souvenir from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

It was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek lighthearted because LB_3 and I had spent so much time and money redesigning, upgrading, retrofitting, and preemptively hardening the Interstate that whatever could go wrong was supposed to be pretty minor. We had spent thousands of dollars and countless ours of DIY labor minimizing the chances that something really impactful would go wrong.

Heh.

Nobody won that betting pool, but these were our on-the-road failures in order of occurrence:

(1) ALTERNATOR FAILURE - Our 17-month-old 200 amp Bosch alternator died. Fortunately I had the good fortune to be able to limp into Philadelphia where Million Mile Sprinter replaced it for me. Lost only half a day of time in the process (plus met a great guy). But it was hella stressful as I spent a couple of days not knowing if I was going to get stranded in some random part of America.

(2) BLACK WATER VALVE FAILURE - A 3-inch Valterra Bladex valve (only about 3 years old) began leaking badly enough to jeopardize the use of the black water system. I limped along with that until my husband LB_3 flew to Sydney Nova Scotia (to join me and enjoy his portion of our vacation) with a replacement in his carry-on bag. That's the first thing he did upon landing in Canada was to get down on the ground and replace that thing.

(3) TURBO HOSE CLAMP FAILURE - Our 24-day-old turbo hose blew off the engine in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Unfortunately we could not determine the problem immediately in the wild, so this cost us a day of time plus 100 painful miles of limp mode (scary and dangerous when we were going 30 km/h in 100 km/h zones after dark!!). The problem turned out to be a bad hose clamp which LB_3 was able to remedy himself.

(4) DOOR LOCK SYSTEM FAILURE - The Sprinter door lock system began failing for reasons we never did determine. I tried to work through it and the behavior lessened, but never did totally resolve. We still have not solved this one, although it happens less frequently now.

(5) GLOW PLUG FAILURE - Lost a glow plug and presumably the van's glow plug control module. However, this did not impede us because we were traveling during summer temperatures when diesel engines can start without them. Husband replaced both components after we got home.

(6) CAB A/C FAILURE - Lost pressure in our cab air conditioner during record heat on the return trip through the Shenandoah Valley. We stopped at an auto parts store, and my husband purchased both coolant and gauges for an on-the-road DIY coolant refresh, then returned the gauges for a refund (because we already owned a set back in Houston). This year, we will be traveling with both the gauges and extra coolant in the van (R134 is not sold to the public in Canada despite the fact that it is non-ozone-depleting chemical).

(7) EXHAUST TRAIN DAMAGE - A clamp broke on the exhaust train due to excess shaking on New York state's legendarily-miserable rough roads. I was so over-saturated and mentally exhausted by repairs and failures by that point in the trip that I just allowed the danged thing to make all kinds of noise until we got home to Houston. Retrospectively, I should not have done this - leaving it flapping around could have damaged the exhaust line. So this year I will carry hardware for that kind of repair also.

Since the time of all those repairs and failures, we have:

(1) Replaced our entire engine with a new long block because the old one essentially blew up at 72,000-ish miles in May 2019.

(2) Replaced the potable water pump because we could not repair a back-flow issue that was plaguing the old one.

We are at the point where there are very few functional components remaining on our Interstate that are original to it. The frame, chassis, transmission, the Sprinter computer system, certain Sprinter-based electrical parts, plus the sink, stove, and microwave are about all that remain of either the vehicle itself, or the Airstream upfit. Everything else has either been repaired, upgraded, or replaced.

Part of me would really like to build a custom off-grid van that is ACTUALLY RELIABLE, but we are so upside-down financially this Interstate by this, our 5-year mark (especially with the new engine installed this year), that it's out of the question.

ANYWAY, does anyone wish to try their hand at guessing what will go wrong on my upcoming trip (planned departure a few weeks from now, although that schedule is subject to change due to issues beyond my control)?

Same perks apply - bragging rights and a souvenir to reflect them.

And my fingers are crossed that this thread does not unexpectedly become an 11-page tale of woe like last year's.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I wish you an uneventful trip.

But to play the game.

What mileage on the tires?

You did not mention changing the hose clamps on the turbo hoses for proper ones...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0537F02-5261-46B9-A9C5-9E516115149B.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	345580  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I assume you bought used?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I prognosticate problems with water pump.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
I assume you bought used?
Yes, we bought used in September 2014 with about 25,000 miles on it. The first owner owned an auto dealership, so we assumed that it had received good maintenance (and we had his paper copy maintenance records for those things he paid for himself, presumably vs. having his own staff perform the work). The van was impeccably kept... or so we thought. But we were total newbies at the time.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I think it's time for you to seriously consider switching to an Airstream trailer.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I think it's time for you to seriously consider switching to an Airstream trailer.
With our travel style, we can't. Back in 2014, a trailer was my initial choice, but my husband convinced me to go with the van. I'm glad we got it - it was the right choice, and there's no way I could solo three thousand miles at a stretch if I were towing something. I need one compact, efficient, very fast van for cross-continent solo excursions.

Plus I have a full-timer insurance policy on it, and I use it as a vehicle to support my small business, taking it to places where trailers simply cannot go. In other words, it is not merely a "vacation" vehicle - it's also a workhorse like it must be, to justify itself financially.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
"door lock system failure" located in the driver door is a small black box (window, lock,mirror module) there are 5 color coded wires. Easy fix, but part only sold through Chrysler. Cost about $150.00
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
IB obviously didn’t learn her lesson about tempting the auto-gods last summer so now she’s doubling down on this insanity.

Quick, does anyone know of a green Chevy Nova I can set ablaze as a sacrifice to the auto-gods?
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
What could go wrong ???

My only guess is that your transmission, rear end, water pump or generator will push you to your wits end, Good Luck though. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
This is so easy. If you put in a long block three months ago, it will blow up the moment the warranty runs out.

...and the transmission.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Furthering on the afore mentioned intro.......

....Your door lock will fail leaving you stranded outside whilst you're showering (naked) on your not yet improved minimalist shower pallet when a bear wanders into the clearing and you rush to retrieve your rifle from it's new rack but the door is locked so you break a window with your punch (you do carry one of those) but can't remember the combination to the new rifle lock so you pelt the bear with ice cubes and he wanders away confused by the naked lady in the boondocks lathered with soap.

Later, after taping up your broken window you need a drink but no ice cubes.

Wishing you a safe and mechanically unchallenged journey this year.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #13
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
You're going to hit a deer or moose and total the rig. Sry, call em as I see em.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Furthering on the afore mentioned intro.......

....Your door lock will fail leaving you stranded outside whilst you're showering (naked) on your not yet improved minimalist shower pallet when a bear wanders into the clearing and you rush to retrieve your rifle from it's new rack but the door is locked so you break a window with your punch (you do carry one of those) but can't remember the combination to the new rifle lock so you pelt the bear with ice cubes and he wanders away confused by the naked lady in the boondocks lathered with soap.

Later, after taping up your broken window you need a drink but no ice cubes.

Wishing you a safe and mechanically unchallenged journey this year.

Close this thread. Nobody's going top this!

Hittenstieh, thanks for the laugh and for including the poor bear's perspective.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Close this thread. Nobody's going top this!

Hittenstieh, thanks for the laugh and for including the poor bear's perspective.
No kidding!! OMG, that's the best laugh I had since late 2014 or early 2015 when someone said something really funny (I can't even remember what) and forum members reporting shooting coffee out of their noses because they were laughing so hard.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
The Best

I like hearing no problems and it all went well. Same for your trip
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Absolutely nothing this time! You’ve experienced the worst, now for the best. Oh possibly traffic, mosquitoes and ugly sites...but nothing out is the ordinary. Have a great trip!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Two letters, AC
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I should say it- but mine has been quite reliable. MUCH MUCH better than the VW Eurovan...
11k around the country trip and a small water pump leak (I chose to replace it at the VERY expensive MB dealer).

I’m still going with the fusebox under the steering column.
Although if you have had to fill your AC a couple of times...it most certainly has an issue that should be addressed. It shouldn’t loose refrigerant.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote