Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It Velcro’s down on both sides to about the last 18” above the step, so she could get out if she really wanted to, but I am teaching her this is a door she does not go thru unless I tell her she can.

Don’t need her letting herself out, off leash, with me unaware.

This would not deter very determined insects, but I have used it, it is reasonably attractive and does quite well.

An easy, do it yourself project for one who sews.

Maggie

Old 02-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
"Are we there yet?"

"Yeah, we're there. That fish told me."

My husband pulled some electronic guts out of the Sprinter portion of the rig yesterday, on account of lingering codes that are being thrown following our glow plug problem. He thought he had that fixed, but I've loooonng since learned The Drill: Take it for a thorough test drive after every alteration. Don't wait for a trip for the inevitable unforeseen complexity to crop up. Because there WILL be one.

So it was down to Galveston this morning for the drive and to log the next code. Of course there was another code.

Tips on Galveston:

(1) Go early when there's nobody there.

(2) A few light showers never killed any of the power walkers, but they sure kill the crowds.

(3) While the other early birds are out searching for the latest crop of shiny shells that were thrown up by the most recent high tide, it is worth keeping your eyes open for dark objects. 99%++ of the time, it'll just be oysters or miscellaneous junk. But Galveston is dredge-nourished and there's a surprising quantity of Pleistocene-ish material in the area. I'd put a wager on this vertebra being about 10,000 years old. Even if you don't find fossils, there's some interesting anthracite coal left over from the steamship era, and well-solidified tar balls from Ixtoc or Deepwater Horizon turn up from time to time. Souvenirs of the industrial world that lies just beyond the sea fog.

Anyway, there's the new privacy curtain in daylight - it looks impenetrably black when viewed from the outside, which I like. We had a good morning walk to go with our new Sprinter code. More on that later on another thread.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
PSA peripherally related to this thread:

Consider appropriate genetic testing to identify strengths and limitations in your children and grandchildren (and maybe yourself). Something important could be missed if this is not done.

I was nerdy, bookish, and quiet as a child. I never discovered that I had athletic capacity that exceeds the population average until I was in my late 30's. My first reaction was to feel a great deal of disappointment, and my first thought was "I wish someone had let me know" because I would have enjoyed applying it to some competitive pursuit while I was still young enough to do that.

In my mid-50's, I'm considering "senior games" competition. I can meet Texas qualifying times in the swimming pool (but I'd need training to sustain those times long enough to win!).

I bring it up because they've recently developed a genetic test for this kind of thing. It's important and it's useful. If there had been a genetic test 40 years ago, I would have lived a different life.

This also serves as a useful response for when people on this forum make comments about me (and sometimes to me) such as, "OMG, what is up with that chick?!?!?! She never stops doing van projects!! Sewing projects and electrical projects and metal projects and wood projects and storage projects and more projects! It's just one project after another after another after another! Is she NUTS?!"

I cannot sit still. I HAVE to be moving and doing stuff. I'm a mutant. See? It's true:

Old 02-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #18
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It's just one project after another after another after another! Is she NUTS?!"
INTERBLOG -
The Project Life Cycle (big & small, for the young & old):
Step1. Planning a project keeps the mind exercised.
Step2. Executing a project keeps the body exercised.
Step3. Completing a project rewards & recuperates the mind & body.
Step4. Go back to Step1. If unable to perform Step4, skip to Step5.
Step5. Make sure the Will & Final Arrangements are in place.

Projects, like exercise, will keep you young longer (not forever). Those who say you are nuts, they probably will fast forward to Step5
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Step5. Make sure the Will & Final Arrangements are in place.

Projects, like exercise, will keep you young longer (not forever). ...
Like this prolific blogger did? He kept working on his camper truck project until the very last second of his life, apparently.

https://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/
Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #20
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Like this prolific blogger did? He kept working on his camper truck project until the very last second of his life, apparently.

https://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/
INTERBLOG - So sad reading those last few posts. But yet, that's the best way to go, working on your <insert favorite> project until the very last. Every hobbyist community has a TIOGA GEORGE <RIP>. I never followed his posts, but I stumbled into it looking at info on the Silver Strand camping options in San Diego, CA last summer. Had no idea until now that he has a following. Amazing adventures.

We had an identical guy for cycling wrenches by name of SHELDON BROWN <RIP - still missed a decade later>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldo...cycle_mechanic)
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
There are some really interesting materials coming onto the market at relatively low prices. This is the SOL "all season blanket" which I picked up at REI yesterday.

Blanket?? Really, it's a tarp. But because it wasn't marketed that way, it didn't occur to me to investigate its sewing potential previously (nor its entire class of products).

In other words, there's a perceptual paradigm - buying a "blanket" and chopping it into pieces to make new products is not an obvious strategy. For one thing, "blankets" are typically too small for the conversion economics to work well. Buying a tarp-like product... yeah, moreso. I've already done that with conventional mass-produced tarps, with great success.

Anyway, this thing will either become a successful sewing mini-project, OR it will become an example of why this type of product ultimately proves to be not optimal for certain sewing applications. Stay tuned for that verdict.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Looks are a bit deceiving on this one - it looks like I replaced one gray cooler cover with a second gray cooler cover, big whoop (the original gray tarp gasoline can cover is still beside it - I haven't re-sewed that one yet).

The mylar-coated material does not photograph well. It's actually quite bright to the eyes, and should perform better for summer heat rejection than plain tarp.

I used belt webbing as piping for this new cover around the side seams and bottom hem, so that it will be neat and fully reversible. I may want to turn the safety orange side out at certain times. For instance, when we are in Angelina National Forest during hunting season.

This material is much easier to sew than conventional tarp fabric and it certainly is better quality. What remains to be seen is how it stands up to road abuse. This area catches a lot of flak due to the wake turbulence that characterize a square-backed vehicle. It's always getting oily and filthy.