Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
60 lbs. Holy cow! You folks eat a lot. Or you eat the same food for days at a time.

A lot of that weight is the interstitial ice. Plus there are 4 of us at the cottage and then when we return to my off-grid property, we get together with our neighbors (also off-gridders) and share meals with them. So the blocks supply multiple meals for multiple people across 3 weeks or so.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Missed the edit window.

To say the same thing another way, this is an exercise in the Texas mentality of "go big or go home". If I'm going to go to the trouble of taking food, then I need to take A LOT of food. Otherwise, why bother?

The menu this year:

1. Chicken and shrimp gumbo (I made a special trip to the fish market for the very best Gulf shrimp).
2. Spaghetti sauce, very basil-rich, made with grass-fed, grass-finished beef.
3. Texas chili
4. White bean and kale stew (with pork sausage)
5. Cuban black beans (made with London malt vinegar and cilantro-based sofrito)
6. Green New Mexico chili-based chicken stew
7. Mexican (not Tex-Mex) style pork and calabaza stew (Texas definition of calabaza, not the West Indian definition).
8. HEB brand tamales (Texans will understand the HEB reference)
9. Various other Texas delicacies that I could shoe-horn into those blocks in small quantities

Sauce-based and stew-based dishes freeze best, as they trap no pockets of air. Plus it is a matter of efficiency - everything goes with rice and/or noodles and/or potatoes and/or bread, which I can cook or purchase at the destination. No need to consume valuable ice block space with those components that can be easily prepared on site.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Missed the edit window AGAIN.

Incidental comment - this meal-hauling practice of mine is getting more and more important due to wage-related pressures in the province of Nova Scotia, which raised minimum wage to $11.55 four months ago.

As a result of that rise, rural grocers drastically reduced hours. As a result of the drastically reduced hours, some employees resigned, further increasing the operational pressures, because they can no longer get enough hours to make the jobs worthwhile (my father spoke with one such ex-employee this morning).

It has a downward spiral effect. We notice that the local tourism traffic is conspicuously reduced where we are right now (the Cape Breton Highlands National Park area). There are "vacancy" signs where usually we do not see them. The tourists drive in and find that stores are not open, so they keep going, because how are they supposed to rent a quaint housekeeping cottage by the sea if they are unable to buy any groceries?

A tourist intercepted my father this morning and asked, "Where did you get that gallon of milk?" That is where this area is right now.

Politicians who don't understand the simplest laws of supply and demand are just plain DUMB. Raise the wages to unsustainable levels, and it kills both employment AND tourism -- could there possibly be a worse outcome?! Duh.

And it makes it even more important that people like me drag huge quantities of food to areas where we might otherwise be pumping dollars into the local economy.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #104
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
A lot of that weight is the interstitial ice. Plus there are 4 of us at the cottage and then when we return to my off-grid property, we get together with our neighbors (also off-gridders) and share meals with them. So the blocks supply multiple meals for multiple people across 3 weeks or so.
INTERBLOG - Now that makes more sense. I thought it just you, LB3, and your dad
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - Now that makes more sense. I thought it just you, LB3, and your dad
Not a prob.

Food-sharing is a great ritualized tradition anywhere, but especially in rural Cape Breton. And it's especially appreciated when the proffered dishes are not local to the area.

I can't physically bring enough food to meet every social need here. When we attend community meals that are potluck, I have to contribute cash instead of food. The average church or other nonprofit supper here can easily attract a thousand people. It's A Thing. Lucky is the tourist who stumbles upon one of them.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
IB,
I think we are interested in also getting a food saver.

Do you know what model you have?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:02 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
IB,
I think we are interested in also getting a food saver.

Do you know what model you have?
FoodSaver FM2000 Vacuum Sealer Machine with Starter Bags & Rolls | Safety Certified | Black
Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Sounds wonderful. You could create a campers cookbook with those recipes. I might add freezer slaw. My German grandmother made it for big family meals. I make batches in gallon zip lock bags. Freeze flat. Thaw before serving. Usually a hit at pot lucks.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Here (below) is what my in-freezer tray looked like on the outbound side of this year's trip. I've learned to get more efficient about packing it, over time.

This thread has mostly been about the Yeti cooler, but we use the FoodSaver to optimize storage for the Vitrifrigo freezer as well. This cache tends to be "food of last resort". I tend to hold it in reserve in case we want to extend a stay somewhere, and I don't care to go for groceries or start the cooking cycle all over again.

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but the FoodSaver packages do fill most of the space, including the vertical space. They appear more shallow in the photo, but there's no wasted volume. I should have taken a side-on pic as well.

Pic from a few years ago showing a less-well-packed freezer tray at the bottom:

Old 06-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Five and a half years after this thread began, meal transport improvements are still being made.

On tap this year: New tarp covers. Plus, I sewed a fitted thermal blanket (Insul-Bright, which is the same insulating filler typically used in pot holders) for underneath the tarp layers. Previously, I had just been wrapping with Insul-Bright. That was awkward.

During my summer 2019 trip, I noticed a big improvement in freeze longevity from the use of the reflective tarp. I had less than an inch of melt water at the bottom of the Yeti after being on the road with my ice monoliths for 5 days.

But silly me to think that a reflect tarp was anything other than a gimmick product, though. It turns out that NONE of them on the market right now are UV-stabilized (there are perhaps 4 brands). They are essentially fusing Mylar to their own tarp products, without stabilization. It flakes off after just a month or two of exposure.

Why are they neglecting this?? Tarps are made to be used OUTSIDE. The sun shines OUTSIDE. The manufacturer of my Heatshield windshield and side window covers used a reflective polymer that looks a lot like Mylar, but it shows no degradation after 5 years of use. So, the disintegrating tarp took me by surprise.

I had gone to all this trouble last year to make my original reflective tarp all spiffy - fabric piping on the seams, nice hem, careful measurements, etc. Aaaaand it literally disintegrated in no time.

To hell with that. This new one shown in the pic below got chopped up and sewn together in about 15 minutes.

I'm also making my series of Yeti covers looser now, because I am piling up more layers. On top of this reflective will go another conventional tarp sleeve for protection. And a new set of sleeves for the fuel can too, because that one fell apart also.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I did not mention in my previous post the reason for the continuous improvements and the even-greater need for large-scale meal transport this year.

My husband and I are planning to quarantine for 2 weeks off-grid in our van as soon as we cross the Canadian border in a few more weeks. While we have lined up multiple local delivery sources for groceries, it creates an even greater urgency to deepen our capacity for self-sufficiency. We are not the type to rely on other people.

My head is splitting as I try to work out how to pull off this quarantine efficiently when my planning is originating 3,000 miles southwest of it. Iíll have a bit more to say about the ice blocks later, but I also need to put in another plug for Cookwell and Company stew products such as those shown below (I am not associated with the company - Iím just a fan). They are great starters for one-pot meals, and they are a sterilized, sealed commercial product that should not cause issues at the border.

This year for the first time, Iím taking the raw products with me (glass containers - ugh!!) so that I can do more in-field cooking. I can say to my local grocery suppliers, ďBring me any piece of meat of any species, and any vegetables that you can find, and I can make that into a meal.Ē

These jars represent the base of 3 daily main meals right there. Three down, eleven to go. In a van.

Wachuko if you are reading this post, one of the reasons why I wanted the largest possible Ukrainian skillet that will fit the Magma grill is that I am hoping to make the Texas ranch casserole in it. That skillet has an unusually tall lip, so it might work. With the Magma on low heat, I might be able to turn that cast iron into a mini-oven. If I can pull off the casserole, who knows - a Shepherdís pie might also be possible.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Two cross-linked posts, one here, the other on the sewing thread, each presenting different aspects of the same project.

In normal times (does anyone remember them?), I don't have to worry about how I carry my ice blocks. I toss them in an IKEA shopping bag and muscle-fight* them up the stairs and into my father's chest freezer until they are needed, a process that takes 5 minutes and no thought whatsoever.

(*to use a sanitized American military term).

But of course during normal times, I am legally permitted to participate in society, which is no longer the case.

Cue the 28 years of environmental health and safety professional work experience, much of it in contingency planning:

-- Every detail of the process must be identified and accounted for in advance.
-- Every step-by-step of the scenario must be run in advance.
-- Every resource must be developed in advance.

We will need to retain one ice block at the quarantine site for our consumption. My 83-year-old father will need to collect the other, drive it 40 minutes to his place, and lug the awkward 30-pound thing up the stairs and into his freezer, himself, without assistance.

An IKEA bag is not adequate for that task - it is neither ergonomic, nor would it prevent melt water from getting all over his car. So I designed this purpose-built insulating carry bag out of tarp, with a fitted Insul-bright insulation liner, plus extra space available for an additional wrapping layer to be added once we get there.

There is no bag on the market that is fit for this purpose - I had to make this myself. No manufacturer makes any such item because of the liability issues. They intentionally scale tote bags to be smaller, in order to minimize the chances of spinal injury claims from carrying extremely heavy weight on one side of the body (that's also why disposable grocery bags are so tiny).

It's not fancy - most of my sewn creations are rough. Tarp doesn't last long enough to justify fancy hems, trims, etc. I've learned that the hard way.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
IB those ice bags look fantastic. Nice work. And on this trip there will be two of you to carry those.

One might also take the straps all the way under the parcel. That would allow the strap to be part of the load carry and to reduce rip out of the strap at the attach point.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #114
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Those meal starters look fantastic.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I havent tried it yet but I did buy the Coleman camp oven. I already had a butane burner to use outside. I hate to cook in the rig except for microwaving. I was missing an oven. This oven, folds up flat. You unfold and put on the burner to heat up. It has a temp gauge on it and was rated pretty well.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I havent tried it yet but I did buy the Coleman camp oven. ....
We sort of hijacked the Airstream Weber thread into a discussion of other grills.

Wachuko already owned a Magma grill, and I bought one about a month ago.

Wachuko then located a Ukrainian cast iron deep pan with a removable handle. He bought a 9.4 inch size. Ever the optimist, I ordered an 11-inch size and it proved to be too large for the Magma because of the grip extension opposite the handle. I shipped that one back, and am waiting for delivery of a 10-incher.

I am hoping that the Magma, in itself, as its own structure, can furnish some measure of oven-type capability when used in conjunction with the cast iron. Maybe for rudimentary casseroles and such.

However the Coleman oven also looks interesting. And it is not expensive. Hmmm....
Old 07-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I havent tried it yet but I did buy the Coleman camp oven. I already had a butane burner to use outside. I hate to cook in the rig except for microwaving. I was missing an oven. This oven, folds up flat. You unfold and put on the burner to heat up. It has a temp gauge on it and was rated pretty well.
Do y'all remember a couple of years ago when Wachuko first got his Interstate, and then he proceeded to buy up half of Amazon for it?

Well, now it's my turn. I keep telling my husband, "Wachuko is causing me to spend money. Mansderm is causing me to spend money."

Oven received. And, I found these aluminum foil muffin tins in my local grocery store. My regular ovenware has a non-stick coating and I would not want to put them on the campfire in case they got too hot and the incinerated coating killed an innocent parrot somewhere downwind of me.

The campfire. I'm going to see if I can make this thing work over hot coals for a number of purposes.

Fresh bread is a challenge with quarantining. It would be nice to have some fresh baked goods. I am preparing to make tortillas on the Ukrainian cast iron skillet which I am praying will fit the Magma grill. But it would be nice to bake some corn muffins too, for instance. Corn muffins are a very easy and useful food to take on a camping trip.

Obviously I'll be taking redundant equipment with me, but I want to see what works best. I think I will also hunt down some aluminum singleton muffin papers, so that I can try baking muffins in the Magma also.

Ideally I will get my system set up so that I order milk, bread, eggs, onions, potatoes, and meat via the grocery app - keep it simple, just the basics, less chance of it getting screwed up somewhere between order and delivery. And everything else I've hopefully already got in the van, with the ability to cook it.

This is a neat design:

Old 09-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Update to this thread -

Our Yeti ice block food transportation method saved our bacon (pun intended) this year as we consumed the ice blocks during 14-day quarantine in Canada.

As is the case every year, we arrived at our site after 4 travel days, almost 3,000 miles from home with our ice blocks still intact, enabling us to stretch out all that food for weeks.

That, in turn, took a great deal of pressure off our quarantine support team. They brought us some perishable groceries, yes, but their burdens were light compared to what would have occurred otherwise.

I donít even want to think about doing it any other way, because what must be figured into this equation is the pandemic-related item shortages and shopping hassles (line-ups, social distancing, etc.) to which all other people are ALREADY SUBJECT, before they even start shopping for someone else outside of their own households. It would be an enormous pain.

But not a pain for us as we holed up in the woods for two uninterrupted weeks:

Old 09-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And looooove those vacuum sealers.

One of my best purchases, ever.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote