Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
You do not need to remove the panel. Just remove the screws in the overhead holding the panel and pull it out enough to reach the adjustment screws.
Thanks Mc. I'll give that a try!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:57 PM   #22

2013 30' International
RIO VERDE , AZ
Anyone ever tackle replaceing the motor to these shades? If so, is this an easy DIY or worth the $700 for the shop to do it?!!!!! Thanks,
Old 08-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisatravels View Post
Anyone ever tackle replacing the motor to these shades? If so, is this an easy DIY or worth the $700 for the shop to do it?!!!!! Thanks,
Not the easiest DIY, but with patience it is doable. It will take an hour or so the first time.

I have replaced several motors over the past few years. The window boxes are attached with multiple screws down from the cabinets above plus the clear angles underneath. You can feel the slightly recessed screws with fingertips about an inch from the outer wall. The rear boxes have one more screw pointing up, way back at the back doors that can be hard to locate. I never bother to put that screw back in and I have never missed having it. It helps to have a second person to help dismount a window box since it is awkward to handle, though I have done it by myself. Be careful with the long wires.

It takes a lot of turns to initially set the limits, so I adjust them fairly close by eye to the motors I pull out. Once the limits are close, it takes very few turns to fine-tune the stopping positions.
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
2016 GT EXT Shade Adjustment

I ran out of DIY energy after replacing our macerator pump, so while our van is at a 5-rivet dealer to repair a bunch of other annoying expensive things, I’m going to let them take a shot at our failed power shades. Each of the three windows on the driver’s side of the van have what I believe to be a failed, or failing, shade motor. They will test each one to verify a failed motor / controller vs bad wiring, but given that two of the shades failed with exactly the same behavior and the third is showing the same pre-failure behavior, I’m pretty confident that it’s the motors or controllers, and not the wiring. That behavior is that just before failure the shade still readily responds to “down” and “stop” commands, but becomes very very slow to respond to an “up” command, and eventually stops working altogether. We shall see what the dealer finds.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote