Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hi , Saskatchewan
To EXT or not to EXT?

Looking for recommendations...Planning to buy a 2013 Lounge/REG or 2014 Lounge /EXT. We can see the advantages of the REG for parking and the advantages for the EXT for storage. We recently sold our 40' coach after traveling in it full time for 2 years. Our current goal is to downsize to a B (not full timing) to "travel" (small towns and back roads) without the challenges of parking. Any insights from an experienced B-er on REG or EXT would be appreciated.

Thanks,
phaeton313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
I've had both, a 2009 regular and now a 214.5 lounge ext. for two years. I would go Ext. for sure as there just isn't much difference at all in handling or maneuvering an Ext. in my opinion. The extra two feet make a lot of difference inside.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hello phaeton313, welcome to Air Forums. Hopefully you'll find it useful to be a long and active member on these forums.

My wife and I are having the same dilemma. We like the size of the mid 2000's Interstates for parking reasons. However, we really like the storage and functionality of the more recent EXT models.

Our only direct experience is a 1998 Airstream B-190 that we owned for a few years. That particular Airstream Class B motorhome was based on a 19' Ford Econoline van. The size was perfect! The only situations we had to avoid were parking decks and fast-food drive throughs. Other than that we could go almost anywhere!

Now that we're looking for a used Interstate we are definitely concerned about the overall length. Ultimately, we think the overall length of the mid 2000's models is preferable to the longer length of the EXT models. Yes, the new EXT models have plenty of room inside and probably have other useful features but they required so much more room to park. I test drove both the mid 2000's models as well as the new EXT units and the newer units will not fit in parallel parking spaces and require two end-to-end spaces in most parking lots.

The mid 2000's models can be parked in many parallel spaces and you can fudge on the parking lots in most big-box store parking lots. Neither unit is as easy to park at the 19' B-190 but 2-3 feet longer is manageable compared to 4-5 feet longer for the EXT models.

In the end it's your decision. My vote at this point is for the relatively shorter, slightly older mid 2000's models.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I find that people are quite considerate of our extra length . I park everywhere I park my regular SUV. We love every extra inch we have seeing how my wife and I travel with two large dogs. This is our first RV and despite and I rarely worry about the extra length.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Welcome to the forum Phaeton. The extra space is always welcome in such a small RV, but whether it's right for you is down to your usage. I carry "stuff" in that space including folding bikes, chairs, lantern, etc. And living in the southwest parking isn't a big deal for us - in towns we look for malls, etc.
The downside for us is that long rear overhang which frequently strikes the ground especially when we go dry camping! In fact it's happened so often we're always talking about a baby 4x4 Sprinter conversion.
Bottom line is to think carefully about how you will travel in your AI!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
We purchased a 2013 non-EXT Interstate in November. Our travel plans include some more urbanized areas and we were concerned about maneuvering and parking. We tend to travel light, so we think that this was the right choice for us. We haven't had the chance to do any traveling yet so we will find out in the Spring if we made the right choice.

This is our first RV so we don't have a downsizing perspective. Our only similar experience is spending time in our 24 foot boat in the San Juan Islands in Washington and the British Columbia Gulf Islands.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you ever want to tow a small trailer, it is my understanding that the EXT will not handle the task as well, because of the increased distance from rear axle to the hitch being more prone to cause sway issues. FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
In three years and 36,000 miles I can think of few instances where the 18" difference would have mattered for parking, manuvering, etc. The main issue has always been front end swing and the large turning radius. The extra space is worth far more to us than any problems caused by the extra length. I have had more issues with scraping between the front and rear wheels and the propane box immediately behind the rear wheels (grr - what a stupid design) than I have with the rear overhang. Towing capacity is a valid consideration - but not relevant to us.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
EXT for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
In three years and 36,000 miles I can think of few instances where the 18" difference would have mattered for parking, maneuvering, etc.
I second that emotion.

Plus, there are those that will tell you that a loaded down EXT has a smoother ride sitting on the rear lounge.

The AI is small enough that the extra space is very useful.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
We have the Ext and would be lost without the extra storage. Granted it is a little longer, but usually if I can, I will find a site that I can back into and let the rear hang over. Otherwise I park in the least congested spots and park lengthwise.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
Timberwolf

1972 23' Safari
AKRON , Ohio
Hi phaeton 313,I have owned several vans / class b campers/ motor homes .Currently I own a 1996 Dodge Ext. Sportsmobile 1 ton.This is my fifth Sportsmobile, 3 regular length and 2 extended. In my opinion if you're going to use the vehicle as a daily driver then I would go with the regular length. If you are just going to use the vehicle for weekend and travel then I would definitely go with the extended version . I just purchased a 1972 Airstream 23 foot Safari which I will be towing with the Sportsmobile. I have had no issues towing the camper so far, however if I do then I can add a rear anti-sway bar. I am single and have a large dog that travels with me so that extra couple of feet really is nice to have.I use the Sportsmobile as a daily driver and have no issues parking it or turning around unless you want to go into parking deck.Hope that helps a little,Enjoy! Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160702_210931.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	277318  
HAPPY210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We have a 2007 with a sofa and two side chairs in the back that convert to a full large bed.
Under that sofa (and below the floor) is a generous storage compartment that really helps.
In addition, there is a compartment above the sofa in front of the back doors. The back tire was mounted on the back in these years (which is only a small hassle occasionally - but you adapt).

I believe the newer models do not have the spare tire mounted on the back but still have a storage compartment under floor - in at least some models. Anyway, something to consider if storage is part of your decision.

Different years have different storage and bed layout (some with the extra storage below the floor and others without), so check the next level if important to your needs.

Given that ours has a back tire mounted and i have to allow for that when i park, i don't think the extra few inches would have made a difference in being able to park. it is really little difference between a King Cab truck with extended bed.

If you are in an urban environment daily and use as a 3rd vehicle in a city often, it might make a difference occasionally.

We downsized from a 34 foot AS motorhome and have been very happy with our choice and have camped and traveled much more since downsizing.

Not sure if this would matter in your case - but one other consideration for the EXT... We are short enough that we can sleep on the sofa only - no need to make up the entire bed. I am an early riser, so this means that I can stay near hubby but work on the computer etc. The EXT has the two flipper arms that give a little more girth if sleeping crossways on the sofa only. This would make it more comfortable in our case.

A lot depends on how you will use it. Many like the twin configuration so one can exit out the back easily and use as a conversation area. There is much merit to this as well. Several of the twins covert to a king size also. These are very versatile vehicles and we are extremely happy with our decision to downsize. After traveling 12K miles in ours in 2 years, we definitely made the right decision for an AI.

Good Luck in your decision!

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We have a used 2011 non-ext AI. We haven't put a ton of travel miles on it (yet), but use it as a road trip vehicle for weekend trips and tailgates. As mentioned in a previous post, my impression from forum comments is the "short bus" has a slightly rougher ride in the rear (but still bad). I am occasionally envious of the extra storage in the Ext but a hitch mounted Gearspace 34 partially makes up for it when we need to carry bikes and camping stuff (of course you lose the parking advantage). Bottom line, if I was going to do trips longer than a week, I'd go with the Ext. If you are certain that you will be doing
brief trips or staying in hotels, the short bus will suffice.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
We decided to go with the EXT for the additional storage and have not regretted it at all. Our longest trip was to Canada from SW Florida and involved 3 weeks on the road mostly staying in the RV. We used every inch of space for storage and convenience. I have not found parking an issue yet and driving has been very enjoyable.

Good luck with your choice and welcome. We have learned a lot from the knowledgeable people who participate in the forum.
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Phaeton, and welcome to Air Forums. You might get along well with our mythological dog, who is named Nyx.

I took these pics this morning with you in mind, although they probably won't tell you anything that you don't already know. Ours is a 2007 Interstate, thus is 22 feet long, BUT, we installed a custom hitch carrier that I like so much that it never comes off. Therefore, effectively, we're now 23.5 feet long, but without the departure angle problems that ordinarily come with the extra length.

The pics were taken at my gym (I swam my first kilometer at 22:11) and illustrate that back-in parking is often the way to go. I never miss an opportunity to practice backing in, especially in a place like this where the fire lane is well-enforced (lots of heart attacks and other health episodes at the gym, lots of EMS calls).

The problem you can see, though, in using a rig as a daily driver for things like gym and grocery runs is that, if my tail were any longer than this, I'd block many types of pedestrian areas entirely. As it is, I routinely decapitate shrubs that are planted too close to curbs. Have you noticed that many McDonald's parking lots are very small? It takes skill to park an Interstate in a McDonald's - the only way to do it is tail-in. If there's a public sidewalk on the other side of that curb, someone is likely going to get PO'd because it'll end up blocked.

Anyway, FWIW, I wouldn't want an EXT. My husband and I have created, and are continuing to create, a sufficient number of workarounds so that our foreshortened Interstate does just fine for us, storage-wise.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I'd recommend the Extended model. I can't imagine traveling without those extra 16 inches in back for storage. Since you are downsizing from a 40 foot Class A you will need the extra space. There is a reason Airstream now only makes EXT models. They are just as easy to drive and only take a little more space to park.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
The photo above makes me think that locality of use might be an issue. In the northeastern US, a hitch carrier overhanging a sidewalk like that would likely result in both injury lawsuits and vandalism to the vehicle.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
The photo above makes me think that locality of use might be an issue. In the northeastern US, a hitch carrier overhanging a sidewalk like that would likely result in both injury lawsuits and vandalism to the vehicle.
Most of the time we have a Yeti cooler on the hitch carrier, so that it looks more like the pic below (except we also have a dirt-repelling cover / sleeve that covers it). Thus if overhanging a sidewalk, people wouldn't tend to trip on it because of this huge blocking obstruction on top of it. If anything, I'd be afraid that they'd sit on top of it, cop a squat, which I myself do from time to time! Right now we are doing projects that require both back doors open, so the cooler has been temporarily dismounted.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Thus if overhanging a sidewalk, people wouldn't tend to trip on it because of this huge blocking obstruction on top of it.
Apparently Texans aren't as litigious as the rest of the country or don't walk around texting and running into all sorts of things.

Never will forget the mall video of the gal falling in the fountain in the center of the mall while texting.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Apparently Texans aren't as litigious as the rest of the country or don't walk around texting and running into all sorts of things.

Never will forget the mall video of the gal falling in the fountain in the center of the mall while texting.
Anyone with a Gear Space or a Stowaway or another hitch product who overhangs a curb would face a similar risk. And of all the risk management that those manufacturers put into their product development, apparently they never considered that a high enough priority to dissuade them. Whereas they DID believe that arm swing direction was a deal-breaker, to the point where apparently all hitch carrier manufacturers except one refused to swing left because of the perceived liability of it.

Personally I've been more worried about municipal ticketing for impinging upon pedestrian space, because muni law enforcement will ticket for ANYTHING that they can find. There have been times where I've inched my Interstate back and forth repeatedly to strike a balance between sticking my nose out and sticking my tail out. And if there's a question, I never leave a parking lot without a phone pic of my rig. If I get a ticket, I want to be able to go to Court and illustrate how I may have been intruding somewhat into a muni easement but wasn't posing an obstruction to pedestrians (normally there is a grass strip between a parking lot curb and the sidewalk... in those cases I stay within the grass strip).

City core pay lots can be tricky this way. Of course in the inner cities, we're all restricted to surface lots because no Interstate can fit into a parking garage. Because of the parking congestion, I often have to overhang my tail onto something that doesn't belong to the pay lot operator.