Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
What to do with my service dog when swimming?

If I am spending a lot of time snorkeling, should I put her on that "Pets R us umbrella stake and cool pad on the beach in front of me? Even with a life jacket she would get bored quickly . And There's nothing faster to attract a shark than a dog struggling in the water. Any suggestions? silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Will you be snorkeling in the US or elsewhere? If it is a public beach or park, perhaps you could call the beach in question and ask. They will allow service dogs, of course, but maybe not left unattended. I am also assuming that you are not going out into the water without a (human) buddy - is it absolutely necessary to bring the dog to the beach, if someone else can assist you?

Try your umbrella and cool pad idea at home first (or at the local park, a place where you can control the situation). Stake her out, and go back inside, or around the corner where you can watch her, but she can't see you, and see what she does.

One other thing, it may upset her to be tied up and see you go into the surf without her, one must assume that your well-being is always uppermost on her mind.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I snorkel by myself and have for quite a long time. Unles of course my husband has vacation, then we snorkel together. I wear a life jacket that is gas charged an fills up with a slight tug. My family clearly knows my wish that if I am going to die let it be in the ocean with the fishes. I rarely swim with someone else. First of all they dont have the desire to stay in the ocean 3-4 hours at a time, as I do, since I love marine biology and animal etc behaviors. I refuse to swim with a group as all they do is flail around and scare away anything worth observing. For instance, octupi lovr to decorate the entrance to their dens with shiny shells in a semi- circle. I of course, sneakily reverse a shell to the dull side and if I'm patient, pretty soon a tenticle comes out and puts the shell back to it's pretty side. Great fun! and I've done it too many times to know what I see is an abberation. One just has to be VERY PATIENT to observe this!! This kind of stuff can make my day. I wouldnt have my dog if I had some one with me. gotta go suz
Old 05-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Now I understand better! Sounds like you've done this many times before, and you are just trying to make your dog as comfy as she can be while she waits for you. If that's the case, the umbrella, cool pad and a bowl of water sound fine. The pad may not even be necessary if she likes to hollow out her own space in the cool damp sand. She could follow the shade of the umbrella that way too, if you are out for a long time.

Your description of your snorkeling adventures sound like something I'd like to do some day. Fascinating info on the octupi, I'd really like to see that. Cactus wrens do that out here in the desert with their nests, but with stuff that's laying around here, not shells, of course.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Cool octopus story! Where do you snorkle at? Of course our coast is too cold and harsh to do things like that. People don't generally even swim in the Pacific up here in the NW. I can't imagine a place where you could snorkle and watch sea life for hours. Puts my aquarium to shame!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
I know she's a service dog, but would it be better for her to stay in your trailer while you're snorkeling? She won't be able to assist you anyway if she's tied up on the beach. Would it be okay if you go straight to the beach and straight back to the trailer?

If you are snorkeling in the summer, it can be brutal on a beach with the reflected sunlight. It's already in the 90's here and summer hasn't started yet.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Wdie I think you are right about Orca.I tried to stay at a park and have her see lots of dogs, people and kids, while my son got the car surviced. She was really good until a dog sniffed her rear (sitting down) pretty had and she did one of her half bark half snap with teeth showing. Didnt touch the other dog but still it startled us.

snorlKing key west, puerto rico, bahamas, especially provinciales and another island, turks and caicos when I swam by myself with a wild dolphin and took a picture of an 8' black tip reef shark, USVI especially St Croix, BVI the octipi were in Bewer's Bay and then all the lesser antillies mostly by tall ship- windjammer so we got to go to small places. did 3 weeks. Princess Charlotte's bay in tobago is my hands down favorite. the coral is so incredibly healthy- that's heaven for me then going up central america, costa ricA HONDURAS BELEZE (OOPS) GUATEMALA. MEXICO BOTH VERY SOUTHERN PACIFIC COAST AND OF COURSE CANCUN . and a brief but very memorable stop at caymans,COZEMEL where I should probably live. ** I don't know what's going on with the caps.** Lots and lots of time in the water. best water- turks and caicos hands down, saw nurse sharks mating. Fun snorkel- to cat aamran to bucks Island and got to swim by my self the whole landward reef, about 3 miles not including meandering back and forth. Slight current with me, just floating along ,observing things. First time I had an aggressive barracuda, kept coming back to make unfriendly passes at me. findly I held my ground and when it was 2 feet away I flashed my camera light at him, that was the end of that! Turns out that baracuda has a mean reputation. I've never had a problem with a barracuda before.or after. I usually go for 3-5 weeks at a time because it takes me the first week to 10 days to clear out. But it's been 2 years and I need the ocean. Oh, Edie- It's already in the 90's here- but no sea breeze. Gotta go- last day of school!! suz
Old 06-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

My service dog in training is doing wonderfully! She is very well behaved except for large unleashed dogs whom she snarls and snaps at. Should I get her a soft muzzle? My friend with a very fancy computer embroidery maching, made her a cape that says "service dog in training" on both sides. Even matches the red of her equipment.! Lucky dog. Seems cooked chicken breast is the fastest training lure around. But she has picked up some bad habits -like thinking she can sleep on the couch from her "floppy puppy training". That one was a no problemo from the get go. She is also learning begging and putting her feet up on you for attention. something she NEVER did before. I litterally can't keep up with her. I forget to do all the voice and hand commands even though she still does what I want. Silver suz
Old 06-07-2004, 11:29 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Just got back from a blitzkrieg trip to St Louis. Orca had her service dog in training cape on and was great Even through the 13 hour rides. Now I just have to figure out a way to get her to respond when I'm having a seizure. The air was wonderful! We went for a 2 hour walk in Shaw's garden. I can't remember the last time I had a walk that long. The legs are willing but the lungs usually arent.

Tin Can Luv -I put a note on your latest masterpiece- hope you got it.! What a great place to live! silver suz
Old 07-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Silver suz...

Hi Silver suz....
Not the easiest answer here, but as a LAST resort, U R most welcome 2 send yr " PUPPY " over here...& I'll willingly L@@K after the little might 4 U...LOL...Chris.....