Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is such a hard time and such a difficult decision to make. Kimmie's quality of life will tell you when it is time to let him go.

Take care,

Maggie

Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Laura,

We're all so very, very sorry to hear about Kimmi.
Although it sounds as though you and Kimmi could hardly be closer, your sub-Q treatments just might accomplish that. We were able to prolong Dahli's life for over a year after her diagnosis of kidney failure by keeping her hydrated in the same way. The three of us became very close, and in fact relied on each other and enjoyed the time we had been granted.

Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #31

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Enjoy your time with her, and give her as many opportunities as you can to enjoy herself, and when her time comes you'll know it. It still won't be easy, but you'll know you did the right thing. Hugs from us too, we've been there all too recently.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm not a doctor nor a vet, but did have a cat with renal failure (yeh, I've had a lot of cats and dogs and they all have died before me; it's never easy). From what I saw and what I have been told, renal failure takes them pretty painlessly and the end is quiet and peaceful. I don't know if there's much comfort in that, but I hope so.

Gene
Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Kimmi had a bad night... she vomitted and was then very lethargic. She would not eat this morning and hardly wanted to get out of bed. After some convincing, she agreed to a walk and seemed to gain alertness. Chased a squirrel, but not with the same gusto as before. She wanted to go on a longer walk but I was worried about her becoming more tired and dehydrated. I called our vet and asked that she come to the house to take Kimmi.... The vet arrived much earlier than I anticipated... the scene was more tramatic than I hoped as I couldn't stop crying and shouting about how terrible this all is.... Kimmi past very quickly... and now I'm wishing I could take it back. Feeling like I took away any/all chances for hope - for the situation to turn around. I just pray she knows that I did not give up but that I wanted to ensure she did not become so sick that she was really suffering. My last pup did suffer at the end of his kidney failure - a situation that I didn't want my sweet Kimmi to endure. She was very loved - and I dedicated most of my life to her as my companion. I can't imagine ever feeling good about this decision.... thanks for helping me through this, the most awful time of my life.
Laura
Old 09-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #34
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Kimmi had a bad night... she vomitted and was then very lethargic. She would not eat this morning and hardly wanted to get out of bed. After some convincing, she agreed to a walk and seemed to gain alertness. Chased a squirrel, but not with the same gusto as before. She wanted to go on a longer walk but I was worried about her becoming more tired and dehydrated. I called our vet and asked that she come to the house to take Kimmi.... The vet arrived much earlier than I anticipated... the scene was more tramatic than I hoped as I couldn't stop crying and shouting about how terrible this all is.... Kimmi past very quickly... and now I'm wishing I could take it back. Feeling like I took away any/all chances for hope - for the situation to turn around. I just pray she knows that I did not give up but that I wanted to ensure she did not become so sick that she was really suffering. My last pup did suffer at the end of his kidney failure - a situation that I didn't want my sweet Kimmi to endure. She was very loved - and I dedicated most of my life to her as my companion. I can't imagine ever feeling good about this decision.... thanks for helping me through this, the most awful time of my life.
Laura
<hug>

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
as someone that has gone through renal failure, you did the right thing at the right time.

she was as lucky to have you as you were to having her. have no regrets.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Laura, you did your best, Kimmi had a good life with you, longer than expected with her problems. Comfort yourself inthat you didn't make her suffer a long drawn out death, with it's associated pain. Hard to call the shots on life, we can do it for pets but not humans.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry to hear of the loss of your pet.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Laura,

You will always question what you could have done versus should have done - but you know you provided nothing but love and attention for as long as Kimmi and you were together, and you did every thing you could to cause her the least amount of pain. That is the choice you made today - to ensure that she passed with dignity, and with love, and without pain to make it a traumatic experience for her. Tough for you but the loving thing to do for your little puppy.

We've had to do this. It hurts deeply for a long time, but we also know the extent of our hurt is just a reminder of the depth of our love for our little friends.

You did what you had to, she is lucky to have had someone in her life who was willing and able to do so.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Bummer! Hang in there. Adios, John
Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
It's never an easy decision. I still get a twinge of quilt for a similar situation I had 14 years ago, and again two years ago. And now I have a 14+ y/o Westie. He's pretty healty but loosing his sight and hearing. Not looking forward to losing him, but it's part of life. Not letting them suffer is a good thing!! HUGS!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Condolences. Hang in there.

Keep an eye on your dreams in the next few months. I've had a dog come back in a dream and tell me how well they were doing in the next world. It's weird, but it was a comfort after having to have her put down.

You did the right thing. Mourn for yourself, not for Kimmi. She's free of the pain and suffering now.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Laura,

Here is waht someone said to me as I went through the same thoughts, emotions, with my Hannah ehen I let her be free from cancer.

"As we live this life, we can only do the best that we can do, with the right decisions and the wrong ones. When we make a decision for the right reason, how can it be wrong? To decide to stop Kimmi's suffering and assure that she doesn't experience more is a right decision. It is the right time to make that decision and you know it because you do it out of love and a desire to bring her peace." Hugs to you

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote