Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
A camping cat? problem. We camp with our Miss Lily just about every trip. She is a real trooper and loves to hang out in "her trailer". We may have an interesting "next trip" though...we recently got a puppy, who should be calmed down a bit by next spring so both can go with us next time ~

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I definitely am all for traveling with cats. It's really a matter of being a responsible guardian and making sure they are safe and comfortable. The rest will be handled by them. The younger they are when they first travel thebetter but I think most will adapt. It's more about their relationship with you than where they are. If you have a strong bond they will be happy to be with you. If they have a buddy it makes it more enjoyable during the times when you're off walking or socializing and they're left in the AS. Plus, they sleep a lot. Cats are pretty easy. One thing to consider is fabrics and curtains. Sometimes covers or different fabrics and blinds might be better for climbing kittens. But usually if they have somecardboard scratchers and toys they figure it out

Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
I'm getting to like cats more and more. Do you know why? Because they taste like chicken!...........JUST KIDDING.
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Lordy, we've been owned by so many cats over the last 40 years that it's hard to keep count. They were all great owners, some of them really outstanding. But once our two current felines go to catheaven, I think that'll be the end of our cat days. (Schatzi will be 20 this spring. Beast is only a year or two behind her.)

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Well, update - I adopted the 2 kitties, and I am so happy with how things have turned out. They've been with us a few short weeks but they're already troopers. They went from an apartment living with an older, quiet woman to a single woman in a townhouse their foster home. Now they're in a house with 2 larger dogs, 2 boys - it's not quiet, that's for sure.

They're not afraid of the dogs (everyone is still getting used to one another, but the cats are the bosses ultimately) and will follow my husband and I like little dogs. When it's time to go to bed at night they hop up and start purring and chirping and kneading their paws, ultimately settling down in between us or under the covers. I just can't believe how sweet they are.

I'm really eyeing them for future Airstream trips. Too bad it's in storage now, would be nice to get them accustomed to the trailer now, but I'm sure things will be fine. Our first trip next season is going to be to Florida, a 1500+ mile adventure. That won't be the time to turn them into camping cats. I'll wait until we have a trip that's a wee bit closer before we do that.

I'm planning on having them ride in the truck with us - 'cause not every car trip has to end up at the vet's, right?

Also planning on putting the litter box in the shower, and jimmying the door so that it can't accidentally close all the way.

Will post pictures next spring.

[SIZE=1]Michelle & family
[COLOR=Blue] 2005 28' International CCD
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote