Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Cats and Canada

I visited Travelpet.com for information regarding pets entering Canada. It said the pet has to be inspected by your vet no earlier that 10 days before departure to Canada. We will be leaving Texas in late April and will not be getting to Canada until June. Has anyone had experience taking there pets into Canada and how was the date the animal was examined handled by Canada ? Sure would appreciate to information.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
I visited Travelpet.com for information regarding pets entering Canada. It said the pet has to be inspected by your vet no earlier that 10 days before departure to Canada. We will be leaving Texas in late April and will not be getting to Canada until June. Has anyone had experience taking there pets into Canada and how was the date the animal was examined handled by Canada ? Sure would appreciate to information.
Why not call ahead and have you animal "inspected" in a northern state. There are plenty of vets up in Montana.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Crossing into Mexico has the same requirements

and we did it the first time.......got our certificates($20 per critter) We have been across the border with our 2 dogs and cat at least 20 times and have never been asked for any documentation. We carry their shot and health records with us and have never been asked for those either. Hopefully some folks who commute from US to Canada can chime in with their experiences.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Took our very large black lab to Calgory a few years back. Had all the papers and Canada didn't even ask about them, however, coming back into the US the Border Agents ran us through the mill. I think without papers they wouldn't have let our dog back in.

Probably would have to have her swim the Rio Grande to get home.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
My understanding is that you only need to have an up to date vaccination certificate. This is the case for dogs, but I'm not positive about cats. A quick call to Canada Customs would answer any question that you might have.

More info here:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Health of Animals - Pet Imports
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm not sure where the Travelpet.com website got their information from regarding the 10 day visit to a vet.

All I can find on the Canada Border Services website, as well as on the above-mentioned CFIA website is that a cat older than 3 months must be vaccinated against rabies, and you have to have rabies documentation showing cat's breed, colour, weight, etc. as well as date and duration of last vaccination. Same goes for dogs as well.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Health of Animals - Importation of Pet Cats

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Health of Animals - Frequently Asked Questions on the Importation of Domestic Cats

I've never been stopped yet for checks to my pet, and no one's ever asked for my paperwork. Doesn't mean I don't have it with me though, it's just that pet checks aren't all that common I guess.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I've been stopped for my dog going to Canada and back to the US. This was years ago and pre-9/11 so it may be out dated info. I would have all the shot records and a photo of the animal attached for ID. Canadians were great and passed us through once they looked at the shot records, wish I could say the same for the US side. It was an hour delay and a nasty question/answer session over my dog that led to an additional truck inspection.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
My experiences have varied as I have gone back and forth with multiple dogs for dog sports events. We've always had current health certificates from a our local veterinarian. Just part of our ongoing care program.

As suggested earlier, things used to be pretty easy. Since the advent of "Homeland Security, the finding of Mad Cow and the resultant border skirmishes over that issue, both sides of the border are cracking down on documentation, if only to penalize the other side. It really depends where you cross as to how much grief they give you. My best suggestion is to visit a local vet in the state you plan to cross from. Keep all documentation with your passport (also a "must have" in the near future or YOU won't be allowed back in to the USA). If in the foreign country for an extended period, a visit to the local vet prior to return won't hurt your credibility with either side.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Canadians were great and passed us through once they looked at the shot records, wish I could say the same for the US side. It was an hour delay and a nasty question/answer session over my dog that led to an additional truck inspection.
Ouch. Where did you cross?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Crossed back and forth with two cats at least half a dozen times last summer and no one on either side asked for any documentation.

We had their vaccine records and health certificates ready just in case.

The Canadians almost universally asked if we had any weapons and the U.S. guys were very concerned whether there was anybody in the trailer. That seemed to be the extent in their interest....

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote