Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Lost and Found

Francis the Wonder cat has been gone for two weeks. We called him, opened neighbors garages, called the pound and placed a report, etc, etc.

Well today while chatting about Thanksgiving plans and raking leaves we heard this aweful meowing. That cat was desperate. It was coming from the neighbors garage which is loaded full with old Jaguars and parts of Jaguars. We finally get the door open and....voila....Francis!

Our neighbor is in and out of the garages a lot, but for some reason Francis had to wait two weeks to come out.
Attached Images

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
He burned up a couple lifes there ! He must have run out of mice to catch in there and figured it was time to go back to cat food !

Glad you found him, he is one lucky cat.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
It's been proven that cats can live up to three weeks trapped in places, if they can get some source of water. Even vermin are a source of water for them. I'd agree he is a lucky cat; however, he would probably say you are lucky to have him back. I have four of them that let me live here in the house with them. Boy, am I lucky.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Glad Francis got your attention. Must have been the Jaguars that lured him in there

When I was a kid our cat "Boots" did the same thing, got trapped in the neighbor's garage, only he was only in there a few days. Cats, they get into so much trouble!

We have been recently going 'round about what to do with our cat, who seems to not be happy being an inside cat, and wants to go play outside. So we let her out this week and she plays in the yard (that's 3 acres of yard) and on the porch and has a great time. But still, there are dogs and cats and cars and coyotes, and all sorts of hazards for her out there - the further she goes the more hazards there are. But I guess a short happy life is better than a long boring one...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'll bet you all sleep better tonight! Yay Francis...welcome home!

Shari & 'Miss Lily'
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Glad you found him. Jay Mega, our silver cat, did not come when he was called one morning. I had been working inside the Airstream one afternoon and he snuck in behind me. He was there all afternoon, all night and into the next morning. I opened the traielr door, he jumped out and headed for the garden to do his business. Good cat! I did the smell test for 2 weeks to determine if he did a #1 anywhere but he hadn't.

Henry Cat walked up the pull down stairs to the attic one day and we didn't notice. That evening I heard a racket in the garage, opened the utility room door and found him hanging from the access opening to the attic in the garage. A quick grab for the ladder and he was safe again.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

We have been recently going 'round about what to do with our cat, who seems to not be happy being an inside cat, and wants to go play outside. So we let her out this week and she plays in the yard (that's 3 acres of yard) and on the porch and has a great time. But still, there are dogs and cats and cars and coyotes, and all sorts of hazards for her out there - the further she goes the more hazards there are. But I guess a short happy life is better than a long boring one...
Stef,
Ours are indoor outdoor cats and with almost 60 acres to roam they will get into trouble. But I think they are happier that way so out they go. House rules says they can't go out until the sun is up (gives the birds a fighting chance) and they have to be in by dark....yeah right! For the most part i works. We have had one go out and not come back. The other got beat up by a feral tom and cost a $200 vet bill. The tom died of lead poisioning

Aaron

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
It Is Now 7 P.m., Do You Know Where Your Cats Are?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
It Is Now 7 P.m., Do You Know Where Your Cats Are?
Yep...sitting on my lap trying to help type on the laptop

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Ditto, Francis is on my lap, pawing the keyboard, and hissing at Cady the dog.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Glad Francis is home. We have two cats at present, Cricket is 19 years old and still loves to sit beside me while I type - she's in her fuzzy basket and my left arm is usually draped over and scritching her. We also have Smoky Bear who is 10. We only let our cats out when we are with them. They come when called, know what the word NO means, and have a pretty good life. We've had several cats live to 17 to 19 over the years and we believe it's because we don't let them out to prowl without us being with them. We love all nature and since our cats are well fed at home they don't need to be out killing birds, etc or become coyote/eagle food. They do like to catch and eat the occassional grasshopper in the summer, and on occassion I've had to put them into my shop for a few hours which always takes care of the mouse situation. I found Cricket as a frozen kitten at a closed campsite during a sudden blizzard. We were fishing the Crowsnest river just on the east side of the Rockies and the blizzard rolled in. We dashed to the campground to use the outhouse and there she was, frozen to the floor, just the ice around her nose melted. Mother abandoned her I suppose to survive herself. Vet figured she was 3 months old at the time. When I was going through chemo and radiotherapy 15 years ago she stuck to me like glue the whole time I was sick. My wife says she nursed me back to health far better than the doctors were able to do. She's my buddy. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
When I was going through chemo and radiotherapy 15 years ago she stuck to me like glue the whole time I was sick. My wife says she nursed me back to health far better than the doctors were able to do. She's my buddy. Barry
Wow! That is an incredible story, and I'm sure it will be hard to say goodbye to her.

Kathleen
Old 11-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
I'm very happy Francis was found . It gives you a sick feeling when our little friends go missing.

I grew up on a farm and all of our kitties were inside/outside. My mom always had her special cat, it was always a siamese. She had one named Sally that was quite the hunter- always wanting out and always bringing home gifts.....well, anyway one day Sally went out and she didn't return. Not for over 6 months anyway!!!!! One day she walked up the lane, missing her tail and all of her ribs were showing and she was carrying on like only a siamese can. I think that she did nothing but sleep and eat for a week. Needless to say, she never stayed out overnight again.

PEACE!

Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
Wow! That is an incredible story, and I'm sure it will be hard to say goodbye to her.

Kathleen
Yeah, when the time comes it will be tough. She's still reasonably spry for an old gal, but we know the day is coming. She gets very special treatment, brushes from my wife every night, the vet comes to our house to check her out so she's not overly stressed - quite the life. Like Francis and Sally and some of the other cats mentioned, they each leave a lasting memory. Life will be pretty goshed darned lonely for us but we'll go rescue someone from the pound and turn a sad event into a new life for someone else with fur.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Another lost and found

Several years ago friends of mine were camped in late fall in the rim area of Arizona. Their black lab (Hombre) wandered away from camp and was lost. Hombre was 10 years old and around 120 pounds. They search for Hombre into the night, but give up and return to Phoenix. They return the next two weekends and search the area, but never find their pet. Winter sets in to the high country, lots of snow and sub zero tempertures. They have lost thier friend of 10 years and fear the worst. They expect a call when someone finds the remains and Hombre's collar.

Six months later they get a phone call that Hombre had been found by some other campers. They bring him back to Phoenix and deliver him at my friends house. Hombre had lost 45 pounds and was looking quite fit. We have always wondered how he made it though that winter up north. Hombre lived another three years with my friends and the new dog they had replaced him with. He never wandered away from camp again.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:47 AM   #16
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Maybe Francis was upset beacuse he didn't get to go the the Beverly Beach Rally!

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote