Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Dog yard for the trailer

I spent most of today making a little 'dog yard' for our trailer.

Most of the time was spent trimming a panel to fit under the step. I took one panel and cut it into half and then cut one half in half again to make this three piece unit.

I trimmed the edges of the panels with some leftover Pex, and I want to get something soft to wrap the panels that might touch the sides of the trailer so it doesn't get scratched. It looks like it will work nicely though, I can open and close the door with it all set up.

We have a rally coming up and it's our new pup, Navi's, first trip. She's not as mellow as Barclay, our dog who has been camping with us since he was a pup. I thought this little yard would help prevent her running off, and also allow us to let them out for potty breaks without having to harness them up and all that. Plus a little extra space is always nice when you're all squeezed into a little trailer.

Does anyone else have a 'dog yard' they use when camping?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some places we camp do not allow cages of any kind and dogs can not be tied out. Hope it works for you. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
navi'sgate?

one minor leap and Navi's gone with the wind looks good, how does Stephanie navigate it? BTW, I never can figger any humorous play on words like ol' 2air....
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
For some reason these guys have never jumped out of the pen. They're fast runners, but not much jumpers

The places we go are pretty rustic, so I'm thinking this will be fine. But it's good to know it wouldn't be ok in some places. They would never be left unattended either way.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
noodles

I am thinking that some of those "noodles" that are used in swimming pools might be rugged, yet soft enough for your edges on the wire so they don't rub the trailer. They are easily cut to lengths. Split and slip on?? Looks like a good solution for little dogs.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Thats what I was thinkin Lou,nice for little dogs but Im not sure about the COPPER man. He would get out if he wanted.
Anyway nice job on the fence,should work fine.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
^Heater hose, vacuum line available at automotive store for cheap would be a good choice, less bulky and more resiliant. After seeing this post thats my plan. Thanks for posting OP!!! Great idea. My Bostons would jump right over but all I need to do is find a taller fence and make it happen with a "gate".
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We use this wireless fence at home, and just take it with us when travelling; PetSafe by ThePetStoreOnline.com: PetSafe PIF-300 Instant Wireless Dog Fence
It keeps our 70# lab safe, contained, and gives him the ability to "patrol" the entire camp site without being locked up, chained up, etc...

We are usually boondocking so we plug the transmitter into an inverter if we need to contain him. This system gives "Shadow" a great amount of freeedom and flexibility as you can adjust the range to suit your surroundings...up to 1/2 acre.

We wouldn't be without it...

B
Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
[I trimmed the edges of the panels with some leftover Pex, and I want to get something soft to wrap the panels that might touch the sides of the trailer so it doesn't get scratched.]

Some foam pipe insulation would work it is already split down the middle .Like a pool noodle but smaller.
Jo
Old 05-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
We use this wireless fence at home, and just take it with us when travelling; PetSafe by ThePetStoreOnline.com: PetSafe PIF-300 Instant Wireless Dog Fence
It keeps our 70# lab safe, contained, and gives him the ability to "patrol" the entire camp site without being locked up, chained up, etc...
B, you would trust your dogs life with it? Shadow would/couldn't decide to chase a car or a squirrel despite the wireless dog fence? The wireless dog fence makes me nervous and I think its thread appropriate:

Im totally ignorant when it comes to the wireless fences (ZERO personal experience), please school me (us) about your experience with the instant wireless dog fence. It sounds like something I should be considering for my Boston Terriers for boondocking. TYVM
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Me too! We have a Lab, a Husky and a Pyrenees/Lab mix, and we don't want to keep them in the trailer unless it's really necessary...
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalStreamr View Post
B, you would trust your dogs life with it? Shadow would/couldn't decide to chase a car or a squirrel despite the wireless dog fence? The wireless dog fence makes me nervous and I think its thread appropriate:

Im totally ignorant when it comes to the wireless fences (ZERO personal experience), please school me (us) about your experience with the instant wireless dog fence. It sounds like something I should be considering for my Boston Terriers for boondocking. TYVM
Yes...he is that smart. It is suggested you spend 2 weeks training your dog...we spent one afternoon...he got "zapped" once...and he has NEVER gone into the zone again. The collar beeps to give a warning...if they continue...they get zapped.
The ultimate test for Shadow is when someone else walks by with another dog(s), or a squirrel runs by...he is VERY tempted...he has never...not once...gone through the zone. We live in a Historic sea port town and get lot's of Folks walking by...he has lots of temptation.
We are so confident that we will leave him in the yard for an entire work day (he has plenty of shade, food, water,shelter, etc) and he is perfectly fine and comfy.
While camping we have left him at the camper and been gone for several hours, he is lying under the awning sleeping when we return.

He knows that beep...and he will not mess with it.
Shadow is 4 1/2 now...and has used this wireless fence for ~ 4 years.
It is a much better alternative (for him and for us) then tieing him up or locking him in a small cage. He can roam our property (or a campsite) freely and safely.
Keep in mind; he is a med size (70#) very active breed...and we have never had an incident.
Will it work for your dog? Don't know....
It has been great for us...

Good luck, Bill
Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
What about other animals ,dogs, crossing into his zone?
Jo
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Jo
This is why the electric fence won't work for me. It doesn't prevent other animals from coming in.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
I do a lot of work with my dogs training (Barclay has passed his CGC and his testing for Therapy work, Navi was a rescue and didn't have as good a start, but she's coming along) and I am a firm believer that every dog has different methods that work well for them, and that different types of dogs have different capabilities. I wouldn't trust my dogs with a wireless fence. There are independent, hard-headed dogs that will blast right through it (I've heard terriers mentioned) and then once they are on the other side the shock keeps them from coming back into their territory.

However labs are extremely trainable and have a desire to please which makes it entirely possible they would respect the fence without question. For the smaller more stubborn/independent dogs, it may not be as good a choice.

There's a reason you never see Jack Russels being used as seeing eye dogs Some dogs spend their lives challenging their training, some just accept it and do their job. It's good to know what category your dog falls into!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Jo
As a lab, he would welcome a visitor...he has chased many a squirrel/rabbit/etc and has yet to catch one! (Did get a little too close to a black/white kitty once...)
As far as bear or other large game, we would never leave him alone in a remote area...bears are few/far between in New England anyway.
One of those little fences...like shown above...sure wouldn't help either, in fact it may hinder your pet by constraining him.

You really have to think about what would work for you and your pet...the wireless fence has been great for us under many different circumstances, and Shadow loves being able to roam around the yard, campsite, etc...he does NOT like being chained or corralled.We even bought a second transmitter to keep at his "Grandparents".
For those that are interested...we have had a very positive experience with the wireless fence.

B
Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
grand dogs

We have two furry black labs that are our "grand daughters". We take them often when we go camping. One is a therapy dog and medic alert dog and has done lots of training. She does "reading" with children with reading problems and she does "safety town". She is well known and loves everyone. I would never leave her out because she is way too valuable, and a great companion. The other younger lab is just a "lover" of everyone, and a friendly little sprite. She would go with anyone and we would be heart broken. We would be worried about people coming in to their space and taking them.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
We have two furry black labs that are our "grand daughters". We take them often when we go camping. One is a therapy dog and medic alert dog and has done lots of training. She does "reading" with children with reading problems and she does "safety town". She is well known and loves everyone. I would never leave her out because she is way too valuable, and a great companion. The other younger lab is just a "lover" of everyone, and a friendly little sprite. She would go with anyone and we would be heart broken. We would be worried about people coming in to their space and taking them.
How wonderful! I want Barclay to do the 'reading' with children program, but the therapy organization we certified with doesn't do the program in our area, so I need to get him re-certified with the other group.

Please remember, I'm not advocating anyone leave their dogs unattended. Ours are never out of sight, and sleep in the trailer at night. I wouldn't let anything happen to ours either!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #19
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
We use the same size x-pens with a short panel under the steps for our dogs. I also put rope lights on the bottom or top to add interest. Keeps them happy and they can go in and out when they want. I would NOT trust them without supervision...my dogs are little heathens and would bark at everything that passes.
1963 Bambi
owenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
How wonderful! I want Barclay to do the 'reading' with children program, but the therapy organization we certified with doesn't do the program in our area, so I need to get him re-certified with the other group.
Please remember, I'm not advocating anyone leave their dogs unattended. Ours are never out of sight, and sleep in the trailer at night. I wouldn't let anything happen to ours either!
Stef, I think you will find that you don't need any more qualifications to do the reading thing. Ask some of the special ed teachers and remedial reading program supervisors in your school system, or check at some of the colleges that do teacher training programs. Some of them may be interested and have more information. Our public libraries are often involved with those types of programs too.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Tags
dog