Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Traveling with large dogs

My wife and I have two good sized boxers that we bring with us everywhere. Zeus (the right) needs to be put in a crate while we are gone because of anxiety issues that a previous owner caused. If he is not, he will pee everywhere. Since my 24' Argosy has some limited space, does anyone have any suggestions for crating them while camping? We generally try not to leave them alone for long but sometimes we need to. With the hot summer coming up I would prefer to leave them inside with the AC running. They are quiet dogs when locked up, even while camping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_145446.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	215429
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I don't know your layout, but a soft-sided crate can be folded and then set up inside. And you can use a smaller than normal crate if it's only a short time he'll be in it.

I'm assuming that he's crate trained and won't dig out of a soft-sided one.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I would use a smaller crate than he is used to but acclimate him to it at home before you leave. That will make the transition on the road easier for him. If he chews on bones establish some super yummy treat that he only gets when he goes in the crate. That will help him pass the time.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
We have a center bath model. Our one crate might fit in the main doorway but it will be a little tight for the two. They have managed in it before so it shouldn't be a hug deal. I will look into the soft sided crate, but as for this weekend we will make due with what we have.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Our are already trained with a treat and do not mind being in the crate while at home. In the past when we have stayed with my parents, the crate would fit in their trailer's living room [large slide out] or on the porch. The neighbors always say they were angels, even while on the deck. My Argosy is much smaller than their 40' monster trailer so I was just looking for ideas in a confined space. I think I got some good ones.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Can you fit a crate under the dinette?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Put the crate up on the bed?

Also - consider some sort of alarm/notification system that can reach your smartphone in the unlikely event you lose power/AC at the campground while you're away. You might also consider leaving the trailer unlocked and letting your neighbors know in case of an emergency. Might sound like overkill, but I work at an insurance company and am thinking about risks all the time. Yes - DW thinks I'm just a riot to be with... :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Wayne&Sam, I will look into the dinnete idea, never through of that. Our table uses the two posts mounted on the floor so i will have ot come up with some platform for the crate to sit on. I cannot get the flush mounts (or so I think) because I have an additional fuel tank mounted under it. But thats not a bad idea! Thank you!

SteveSueMac, thanks for the tip! I will have to figure out how to build something like that. I usually leave my doors unlocked while camping in case there is an emergency, however, this weekend will be my first time camping in the Argosy so I might lock it to avoid nosy people from poking inside.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
This is one of my concerns as well. My dog has to be crated when alone due to major anxiety. His crate is his happy place. He's even sleeping peacefully in it right now with the door open rather than choosing another location in the house he has free reign over.

I think the dinette option is your best bet. I'm still looking for a trailer, but I am hoping to find one with a dinette and then have someone (or myself) fashion some sort of custom collapsible crate that goes right underneath it. May be wishful thinking, but the area is certainly large enough for a big dog (mine's 60lb) and if you can design it, someone can build it. Ideally it would be collapsible enough to slide right into the under dinette storage when not in use.
fleurdenola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
My wife and I have two good sized boxers that we bring with us everywhere. Zeus (the right) needs to be put in a crate while we are gone because of anxiety issues that a previous owner caused. If he is not, he will pee everywhere. Since my 24' Argosy has some limited space, does anyone have any suggestions for crating them while camping? We generally try not to leave them alone for long but sometimes we need to. With the hot summer coming up I would prefer to leave them inside with the AC running. They are quiet dogs when locked up, even while camping.

Attachment 215429
Wow those are a couple of great looking Boxers!

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Suggestion, hard crate under the dinette and let the dinette table simple rest on the top of the crate, we actually do it with a soft crate as well. Our dogs are all crated, they are very comfortable with it and use it on their own. We do leave them with A/C on and the fans rain sensor fans running, in that way if the power goes off, the fans will run on the batteries for days (we are never gone for longer than four hours) and the trailer will stay cool enough even in 90 degree weather in the direct sun, I've tested it on myself. Not ideal, but good enough. Then I leave a key with the campground staff and let them know dog(s) are in the trailer in case of emergency and give them two cell phone numbers.

Safe Travels

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote