Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Which is worse when towing, trailer angle UP or trailer angle DOWN?

If you had to choose the best of a bad towing situation and had to tow your AS (pick a distance) with the AS either angle down towards the TV or angle up towards the TV, which would you choose and why?
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
How about D none of the above.
The trailer should be parallel to the ground. Do you have some pictures it may help trouble shoot the problem.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
If your using a hitch with a 2" receiver you shouldn't have to make that choice. With all the different draw bar choices (drop or rise)you should be able to get it very close to level.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
It should be straight.
But when the tonque weight is low a bit down should be OK
NOT up .
Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Level is where you want to be, but...

Page 14 of my 1973 Airstream manual states while adjusting the factory load equalizer bars one should raise the ball height "one-inch from where fully loaded trailer hitched to vehicle normally rests without leveling bar attached" - so one-inch above level obtained AFTER correct goose-neck or air-bag or air shock adjustment produces ideal towing via best weight equalization...

Hitch point high increases load on rear axle, hitch point low increases load on front axle plus increases susceptibility of tail-wagging AND reduces weight on the tow vehicles steering axle, a nasty combination in weather or unpaved roads.

So to answer your question, trailer angle down towards TV is worse case scenario...
Old 09-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi streamer1

of course level is best but that isn't what you asked, is it...

it's an interesting issue...

i suspect it depends some on other factors too...

like % of wt on tongue, #of axles, lenght of trailer, condition of brakes, mass of tv, wheel base of tv, payload of tv, type of hitch, use of w/d bars and rating of w/d bars, road conditions and travel issues like distance, speed and incline. and other things...

if using w/d bars i suspect nose down is the lesser evil, since as the bars are tightened there is some upward movement at the hitch...

it would seem under most conditions without w/d nose lower would be better too.

if the tongue is really heavy and unloads the steering axle...i'd reposition trailer load to reduce this...but too much and the tongue rises...so that's bad...

when my hensley was first shipped and mounted the 6 inch drop bar was too much so i towed 1500-2000 miles with the trailer low in front...i didn't like it much....

level is so much better....

why do you ask?

i wondered about this issue too when trying to select the ideal drop bar...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
2airshuman, the trailer I am purchasing is situated under trees in a mountainside campsite. My intention is to tow it down the mountain road (probably a 5-10 minute drive) then head 200 miles to Tennessee (stopping along the way at a Wal-Mart) to have new tires installed on the trailer and then continue towards the Airstream dealer for servicing. After servicing, I will head to Nissan dealer to have a WD hitch installed (which I have already purchased). Then, I will head home to Metro DC much more prepared for a long trip.

Since the trailer sits on gravel on a slight incline, I'm not sure on level ground with a simple std straight hitch if the trailer will tend to sit up or down. The trailer is a 1996 25' Excella. TV is a 2006 Nissan Titan.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Wallymart might not have them

You might want take your tires with you. None of the Walmarts in our area stock trailer tires, the ST tires are always a special order even at Sams Club. Ran into this same situation in Wisconsin several years ago when trying to buy a tire on the road , when we had to replace a trailer tire . Not sure if this is true in all areas of the country but you could end at an RV dealer and paying an outrageous price.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
in horse trailer land... (my experience) you never want the trailer pulling up on your rear axle. Seems like travel trailers would also cause the handling to be really witchy if it was pulling up on your real axle
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Yes 63air, I forgot to mention I plan on getting the tires ahead of time. Good point though.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Streamer....If you've already got the WD hitch why not have it installed prior to the pickup?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I concur that I wouldn't want the trailer pulling UP on the hitch. These trailers are delivered to the dealers by trucks on the ball - without sway control or weight distributing - I understand.

Whether or not you should try that with a Titan, which I don't know much about - I don't know. I imagine that those delivery trucks are honkin' big jobs that weigh more than the (empty) trailers they're yanking around - so big that they absorb any of the wayward tendencies of the tow.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
_

. , .
streamer1...

according to the airstream site,

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p.../weights-1.pdf

the '96 25ftr is 6000lbs dry, 7300max and has a 730lb tongue weight....

and the ball height is 18.75 inches.

given this info and the nissan receiver height, you should be able to get very close on the stinger drop needed....

a w/d hitch is needed over 500lbs and the specs are close even for new titan.

note i am not suggesting the nissan is over matched...at all.

do you have towing experience?

some folks find that the dealer will tow it in that first trip, especially if you are gonna spend money or repairs/upgrades...200 miles? i would ask 'em how much to do this....

while the trailer is newer, brakes and bearing may be original? might be a good idea to inspect and repack before going DOWN hill....

i have talked personally to 2 happy buyers that wrecked their newly purchased airstreams....on the first short trip home....so be safe.

enjoy the trailer, that is a great size and layout...

and let us know what happens and what drop bar, you use...

cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Just thought I might offer my 2 cents to this topic. I have an 03' Duramax towing my 30 foot AS with Load Leveling system. My set-up when looking at side view is perfectly level. Problem I'm starting to experience, is that the trailer goes into a high speed rear push at around 65 or so. Does this going down hill and on level ground. Not the most pleasant experience for either my passenger (who can feel the trailer pushing) or myself who's trying to keep the vehicle in control. Maybe this isn't the correct topic to post a question like this, just thought I'd throw it out to see what responses I collect.
bpcaudill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
GC, according to the directions provided in the box the WD hitch came in, you are supposed to have the trailer present while installing the WD hitch. I suppose its to guarantee a correct fit?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
2air, I measured the height to the bottom of the 2" receiver box on my truck and the height was 20".
Old 09-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
GC, according to the directions provided in the box the WD hitch came in, you are supposed to have the trailer present while installing the WD hitch. I suppose its to guarantee a correct fit?
Yes! In my experience it makes a huge difference in setup if you A) have a flat, level surface for set up and B) have all the components of the rig at hand. FWIW I set up my wife's F150 to tow our first Airstream home, the slab I was setting it up on was on a bit of a sideways tilt for drainage. I ended up having to makes some adjustments to the hitch set up a bit later to even everything out. For a perfect set up you want everything to be pretty much level. A tad nose down on the trailer is aceptable. And you want to minimize the rear end squat on the vehicle.

And FWIW I tow my Airstream with my dually, "on the ball" no WDH or sway needed! I am going to be putting an Air Ride hitch on in the near future to soften the ride for the ASes. At that time I may put a Blue Ox sway control on it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcaudill
Just thought I might offer my 2 cents to this topic. I have an 03' Duramax towing my 30 foot AS with Load Leveling system. My set-up when looking at side view is perfectly level. Problem I'm starting to experience, is that the trailer goes into a high speed rear push at around 65 or so. Does this going down hill and on level ground. Not the most pleasant experience for either my passenger (who can feel the trailer pushing) or myself who's trying to keep the vehicle in control. Maybe this isn't the correct topic to post a question like this, just thought I'd throw it out to see what responses I collect.
Maybe you should slow down.

You are probably experiencing porpoising, which is a complex collection of conditions, including your TV length, trailer length, the distance between the expansion joints in the road, and your speed. This makes your whole rig bob up and down...you essentially have found the harmonic frequency of your whole rig with the joints and you get a wavy feeling. Not much to do about it but not drive at that speed...there isn't any way your camper can become powered and actually speed up to push your TV, unless you modified it with a motor!

And BTW, if you think I'm crazy, did you know that the washboard affect on dirt roads is from the same sort of effect? Automotive engineers have described how this works, with wheels hitting potholes and then bouncing up and down, causing those indentations, with them getting worse with each car.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
GC, according to the instructions included in the WD hitch, to properly install said hitch you would need to have the trailer present (i.e. varoius measurements to make and verify?). I am not 100% sure of that, but looking at the diagrams they provided, it looks like at least half of the WD hitch could be installed (the 1/2 pertaining to the TV anyway).
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #20
_

. , .
hi streamer1

are ya getting excited? hope the trailer is a keeper!

i'm not a hitch expert. really i only have experience with mine...

as i recall the tv receiver height is measured from inside the 2in box...
the top of hole.

so an estimate based on your 20inches at the bottom...would be a fraction under 22...

what brand hitch? it will be easier for folks to offer install suggestions IF they know the brand.

again from my basic understanding, your drop bar would be 3 inches up to 4 approx.

this depends some on how much the trailer axles have settled over 10 years...

while the spot where the unit is parked may not work for properly setting up the hitch, surely there is a level area somewhere close by?

don't forget the photos...pix help us learn, and yours may help the next person...

any idea about brake condition or bearings?

cheers
2air'