Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
If you haven’t moved it yet consider putting roof shingles under the tires. I use them to get traction on snow and ice. They are rough and often help

Just a thought. Good luck

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #62
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Have you considered putting on a tongue jack castor wheel and then winch the front of the Airstream around 180 °. You can use a regular winch or a Hi-Lift Jack, or a come-along anchored to your truck as you move the tongue around in short pulls. This can more easily be accomplished by leap-frogging plywood ramps in front of the wheel as you move it around in a circle. The coupler would then be facing your gravel pad.

Name:   CE555-0301.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  6.9 KB

Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the photos.

The suggestion below in Post #10 is so simple, that it is worth a try with the second tow vehicle on that gravel pad. Even some regular strong rope [not a hawser] would do the job IMO if all the other steps are followed, especially digging out any soft mud blocking all the tires.

In the total time spent by everyone typing all these posts, the trailer could have been free'd up days ago IMO.

I have gotten many vehicles out of soft sand on construction sites, using these simple steps. If the ground is relatively firm today, you can probably skip putting 2x10's under any tires IMO. Having some extra bodies to push the two vehicles carefully by hand will help a lot.

"Many hands make light work!"

Trust me, it will work!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Run a single large rope hawser ~1” diameter [and about 50’ long +/-] under the trailer and attach it to the tow vehicle’s hitch from underneath, using a large bowline knot. Then run the hawser straight back on the ground, under the trailer, to the hitch of your second pulling tow vehicle on the gravel pad. Keep all three vehicles centered over the hawser. [edit — the hawser may have to go OVER the axles to remain straight]

Apply pulling power gradually and see if the hawser binds or kinks any mechanical or propane lines under the trailer. If so, put some folded-up furniture pads between the hawser and the trailer to offset it. You will need help doing this.

Safety first!

Dig out the tow vehicle tires [edit — and trailer tires] so there is NO resistance to moving. If you have to jack up the tires and put 2x10 planks under them, that will pay off in minimizing resistance to rolling.

Apply pulling power very gently and don’t let any tires start spinning in the soft soil. [emphasis added].
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Thanks for the photos.

The suggestion below in Post #10 is so simple, that it is worth a try with the second tow vehicle on that gravel pad. Even some regular strong rope [not a hawser] would do the job IMO if all the other steps are followed, especially digging out any soft mud blocking all the tires.

In the total time spent by everyone typing all these posts, the trailer could have been free'd up days ago IMO.

I have gotten many vehicles out of soft sand on construction sites, using these simple steps. If the ground is relatively firm today, you can probably skip putting 2x10's under any tires IMO. Having some extra bodies to push the two vehicles carefully by hand will help a lot.

"Many hands make light work!"

Trust me, it will work!

Peter
Thanks. I definitely think it's worth a try and it's on the list. I know it would be relatively simple. Up until this point, it's been a matter of no availability of the second truck. The person with the truck that I want to help me has been out of the country and just got back and still isn't available to help. So yes, I can try it. So far everything that I try has to be a solo affair. And to be honest, I'm kind of enjoying the challenge of trying to get it out by myself. It's not like I've spent hours out there with it. My total time involved to date has probably been less than 1 hour.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Have you considered putting on a tongue jack castor wheel and then winch the front of the Airstream around 180 °. You can use a regular winch or a Hi-Lift Jack, or a come-along anchored to your truck as you move the tongue around in short pulls. This can more easily be accomplished by leap-frogging plywood ramps in front of the wheel as you move it around in a circle. The coupler would then be facing your gravel pad.
That is a really good idea. I hadn't thought of that yet, but will put it on the list of things to try. It would do a lot of damage to my yard with all the moving of the truck, so I'm gonna call that Plan B or Plan C for now.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #66
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Run a single large rope hawser ~1” diameter [and about 50’ long +/-] under the trailer and attach it to the tow vehicle’s hitch from underneath, using a large bowline knot. Then run the hawser straight back on the ground, under the trailer, to the hitch of your second pulling tow vehicle on the gravel pad. Keep all three vehicles centered over the hawser. [edit — the hawser may have to go OVER the axles to remain straight]

Apply pulling power gradually and see if the hawser binds or kinks any mechanical or propane lines under the trailer. If so, put some folded-up furniture pads between the hawser and the trailer to offset it. You will need help doing this.

Safety first!

Dig out the tow vehicle tires [edit — and trailer tires] so there is NO resistance to moving. If you have to jack up the tires and put 2x10 planks under them, that will pay off in minimizing resistance to rolling.

Apply pulling power very gently and don’t let any tires start spinning in the soft soil.

Less is more . . .

PS — do not pull on the aft end of the AS!
IMO this will certainly cause damage to the underside of the Airstream - especially the AS rear bumper area. The rope will exit the AS at an upward angle to the assisting truck and create an upward force on the bumper and any tanks and belly wrap in its path.

It is also extremely dangerous to attach a tow rope to a hitch. If this method is attempted only attach to rated recovery points never a hitch ball. If the ball breaks (which is likely) it will become a missile that can cause serious damage, injury or death. (http://www.energysafetycanada.com/fi...ne%20Cover.pdf)

Old 02-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
. . .
. . . If this method is attempted only attach to rated recovery points never a hitch ball.
. . .
Good point, if you mean the attachment points on the tow vehicle for the trailer's safety chains.

Everyone should realize that the amount of force to be exerted by the new tow rope/hawser is very minimal -- just enough to help the first tow vehicle get rolling. Removing dirt from behind ALL the tires is crucial.

The upward force on the Airsteam, at any point, would also be very minimal, especially in view of how flat the site is shown to be in the recent photos.

I wish I lived closer.

This recovery is very simple and everyone is overthinking it IMO !!!

Sorry to be a stuck record -- just frustrating that no one gets it -- the sheer simplicity of it all.

Over and out!

Peter

PS -- Your video shows very different physical situations which exaggerate the risks IMO.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:15 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I think there will be many broken parts lying around long before you break the 1 inch shaft off the under side of most 2 and 5/16th trailer balls. Drive shafts, u-joints, and once for me on a 70s Jeep CJ7, the back bumper, parts of the frame, the gas tank, lots of plumbing and electrical. The snatch was no where near as violent as the video, but the neighborhood got a good laugh. I built a deck over the stump which, 36 years later, is still there.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:35 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:

I wish I lived closer.

This recovery is very simple and everyone is overthinking it IMO !!!

Sorry to be a stuck record -- just frustrating that no one gets it -- the sheer simplicity of it all.

Over and out!

Peter
[/B]
I wish you lived closer too! hahahaha
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
I wish you lived closer too! hahahaha
Any ETA for that second tow vehicle coming by for a minutes of hawser work?

"Haw's that workin' out?"

Old 02-07-2019, 03:39 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Any ETA for that second tow vehicle coming by for a minutes of hawser work?

"Haw's that workin' out?"

No. It's been raining for the past few days so the ground is far too wet to try any method at this point. It might be a few weeks, IF it will stop raining and dry out a little bit.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Yes, Last year was the wettest on record in Virginia. If it was me by myself, I would buy 3 sheets of 3/4 plywood, have Home depot or Lowes cut them 2' wide length wise. Buy a aluminum floor jack, Find a cardboard box to lay on. Clean and dry tires. Water and mud acts as a lubricant between tire and plywood. Jack up front tire and place 2' wide plywood under tire and towards the back. Jack up rear tire and overlap plywood while placing under tire. Screw overlap together to keep from slipping. If trailer doesn't move, use last plywood for trailer. If you know where to get scrap carpet, staple carpet on plywood. Afterwards use plywood in your attic, or shelving in garage. If I lived closer to you rlhendren, I would be there for you. Thanks for the pictures
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
With the room ahead of the trailer now he could get the truck out of there and get a small farm tractor or small tracked piece of equipment and easily get the trailer out.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just an update. The truck is still stuck, not attached to the trailer any more. It's still too wet to get it out - I sink in the yard just walking across it. It's been a really rainy winter. It is positioned far enough back from the fence that I could probably get a small vehicle (Jeep, small tractor) in front of it and pull it at an angle forward and sideways and get it out (hopefully). I'm not quite ready to do that much more damage to my yard. I don't need the truck for anything except as a tow vehicle, so there's not rush. I'm going to continue to wait for the ground to dry out before I try anything else.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
Just an update. The truck is still stuck, not attached to the trailer any more. It's still too wet to get it out - I sink in the yard just walking across it. It's been a really rainy winter. It is positioned far enough back from the fence that I could probably get a small vehicle (Jeep, small tractor) in front of it and pull it at an angle forward and sideways and get it out (hopefully). I'm not quite ready to do that much more damage to my yard. I don't need the truck for anything except as a tow vehicle, so there's not rush. I'm going to continue to wait for the ground to dry out before I try anything else.
Well, you could always consider selling the house with the truck and Airstream included!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #76

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, you could always consider selling the house with the truck and Airstream included![emoji38]
Had a girl friend that bought a house with the proviso the piano went with the house. It was an old full upright in the basement, the house must have bern built around it.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, you could always consider selling the house with the truck and Airstream included!

You mean “aluminum guest suite” [emoji12]

We get farm equipment stuck in the mud all the time. If schedule allows we do what you’re doing—just wait for stuff to dry out. If we need it sooner we either use gravel, towstrap, and an ATV, or a tractor, whatever is easier. You’ll be fine. But yeah, I suspect a gravel parking area is in your future...
Old 02-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #78
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Had a girl friend that bought a house with the proviso the piano went with the house. It was an old full upright in the basement, the house must have bern built around it.
We grew up in a similar house. Church wanted to get rid of some pianos. We only had space in the basement. It took the whole church sunday school class to rig it down there. Quite an afternoon. Still there when mom sold and moved.

I'll bet a sunday school class could carefully help the OP out of his fix too.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:27 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
hahahahahah! I have joked with my best friend that I"m just going to abandon the truck and buy a new one. hahahahah

I'll get it out eventually. It was 70 degrees two days ago so the ground started to dry out. Then freezing rain yesterday, 20's today, 30's tomorrow, and 80% chance of rain 3 days from now. At the moment, there are still very rare puddles of water at low spots in the yard, so it's far from dry back there.

Sit and wait. Sit and wait. Eventually it will dry out enough to get out there and do something.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Update

So, with my impatience, I really got the truck stuck. It was buried to the running boards on the driver side. Not quite as bad on the passenger side. The ground is hopelessly soft. Luckily it was unhooked from the trailer when I buried it. So I used a HiLift jack (with an attachment that hooks on the wheels) and jacked up each tire, filled in as much mud as I could beneath the tires, and placed boards and 2 x 4 sheets of plywood under each tire. That was enough to get the truck moving. I drove it forward and to the left and circled back towards the parking pad (which was directly behind the trailer and truck). But the truck then got stuck in the middle of the yard. I was smart enough to stop and not bury the truck again. I have a Jeep, so with the Jeep sitting on the gravel pad, I hooked 2 two straps and a chain to get enough length to reach the truck (? 30 feet?). The jeep in 4-Low was able to pull the truck forward until it was on the parking pad.

The trailer is still there and will require a tractor to get it out. A friend has a tractor with a front bucked and a ball mount on the bucket. He will come over and get in front of the trailer, lift the tongue on the ball, and simply drive it backward onto the pad.

But for now, the truck is out and I'm happy. It was stuck for 4 months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1185.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	699.7 KB
ID:	335924

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	335925

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg