Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

When the engine brake comes on from the cruse control, there is no other braking applied. It's simply doing a downshift to slow the vehicle. Indeed that has some implications.

There are a number of outfits that will supply you with a bar that fits the 2.5" receiver. It is indeed going to be a bit heavy.

Bob
UB- not sure your comment highlighted above is accurate; the engine brake keeps helps keep from downshifting....
Tow/Haul Mode With Integrated
Engine-Exhaust Brake
(7)

Tow/haul mode and tow/haul mode with
integrated engine-exhaust brake (6.7L diesel
only) with auto setting give drivers even
greater control when traveling downhill
Helps eliminate unwanted frequency of gear
shifting on steep uphill grades and allow
engine braking to maintain or reduce vehicle
speed and assist the driver in controlling the
vehicle when descending a steep grade
Provides additional braking and control on
downhill grades when used in combination
with the engine brake feature on the 6.7L V8
turbo diesel engine

The brake controller also provides smart operation in conjunction with the trailer brakes to help avoid lock up. Very cool!
Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)
(5)

Ensures smooth and effective trailer braking
by powering the trailer’s brakes with an output
proportional to the towing vehicle’s brake
pressure
The controller adapts output based on the
status of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
When the ABS module senses the towing
vehicle’s brakes are approaching lockup, the
controller’s trailer braking strategy changes to
compensate for traction conditions, reducing
the risk of trailer brake lockup
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
That “problem” isn’t. Backing is always a matter of knowing how to line up; where to begin.

The difference in wheel cut, wheelbase, and rear overhang on different TVs would matter.
Yes, those parameters matter. Big trucks aren't known to be the most maneuverable, largely on account of wheelbase. But there's an additional factor with VPPs.

Because there's the trapezoidal side to side motion at the hitch. When initially making a cut, there can be a slight delay as the hitch takes a set to one side. This is also true when switching the turn. It may take a couple feet before the hitch sets to the other side before it starts influencing the direction of the trailer.

I imagine one with an F350 and relatively larger AS, isn't seeking out National Park campgrounds, as maneuverability is a concern at times. Being out in CA, with lots of older, tighter campsites, it's a priority for me.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Yes, those parameters matter. Big trucks aren't known to be the most maneuverable, largely on account of wheelbase. But there's an additional factor with VPPs.

Because there's the trapezoidal side to side motion at the hitch. When initially making a cut, there can be a slight delay as the hitch takes a set to one side. This is also true when switching the turn. It may take a couple feet before the hitch sets to the other side before it starts influencing the direction of the trailer.

I imagine one with an F350 and relatively larger AS, isn't seeking out National Park campgrounds, as maneuverability is a concern at times. Being out in CA, with lots of older, tighter campsites, it's a priority for me.

I think it all depends on the drivers skill level.I have a 28ft International and our last 3 tow vehicle have been F350 Supercrew W/8ft box.I have been to the majority of the National Park campsites and have yet to have a problem.Some of come up with the funniest posts!
Just learn to back up............Lol
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I think it all depends on the drivers skill level.I have a 28ft International and our last 3 tow vehicle have been F350 Supercrew W/8ft box.I have been to the majority of the National Park campsites and have yet to have a problem.Some of come up with the funniest posts!
Imagine a race car, where a driver may make up for whatever inadequacies his team/car may have against the competition.

But imagine what said driver may do with an even better team/car.

Not saying the F350 isn't the right car, nor VPP the best hitch. I think most agree, they are the pinnacle setup in many respects. That's not to say they don't give up something either, as everything has pros and cons. It's great to have a forum here were we can openly discuss. Though I'm not sure all people know how to do that without getting defensive?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Can’t blame the hitch. It’s the driver once past vehicle spec.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
UB- not sure your comment highlighted above is accurate; the engine brake keeps helps keep from downshifting....
Tow/Haul Mode With Integrated
Engine-Exhaust Brake
(7)

Tow/haul mode and tow/haul mode with
integrated engine-exhaust brake (6.7L diesel
only) with auto setting give drivers even
greater control when traveling downhill
Helps eliminate unwanted frequency of gear
shifting on steep uphill grades and allow
engine braking to maintain or reduce vehicle
speed and assist the driver in controlling the
vehicle when descending a steep grade
Provides additional braking and control on
downhill grades when used in combination
with the engine brake feature on the 6.7L V8
turbo diesel engine

The brake controller also provides smart operation in conjunction with the trailer brakes to help avoid lock up. Very cool!
Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)
(5)

Ensures smooth and effective trailer braking
by powering the trailer’s brakes with an output
proportional to the towing vehicle’s brake
pressure
The controller adapts output based on the
status of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
When the ABS module senses the towing
vehicle’s brakes are approaching lockup, the
controller’s trailer braking strategy changes to
compensate for traction conditions, reducing
the risk of trailer brake lockup
Hi

Well, stop by some time and we'll go for a drive through the hills The 2017 F-250 is sitting in the driveway ready to go

The tow / haul does reduce the shifting a bit when going uphill. The engine brake most certainly does do a downshift to accomplish the braking on the downhill. If you tromp on the brakes, it'll also do an early downshift to brake assist. The RPM's go up quite quickly. It is a bit weird to be running down the road at 50 MHP in first gear ... Been there / done that many times by now.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post

Actually, we have not had any issues with our F250 and 28'. Backing in general takes a bit more thought with the longer wheel base (1' longer then F150) but overall, we have not had any issues in staying in same national parks as when we had the 25'. I am sure some spots could limit, but no issues this past summer...9K miles in trips!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Maple Valley , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
You are my HERO! I was concerned that getting a long box would make it impossible to park!
jimmyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
It is a bit weird to be running down the road at 50 MHP in first gear ... Been there / done that many times by now.

Bob
And at what RPM might 50 in first gear be? That would scare me...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
And at what RPM might 50 in first gear be? That would scare me...
Mine won't shift that low at 50 mph. It does engine brake dramatically. If you need to drop below 2nd or 3rd on a downgrade "you're doing it wrong"
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
uncle bob,, that a gas or diesel 2017 f-250 ready to go..

Quote:
Hi

Well, stop by some time and we'll go for a drive through the hills The 2017 F-250 is sitting in the driveway ready to go

The tow / haul does reduce the shifting a bit when going uphill. The engine brake most certainly does do a downshift to accomplish the braking on the downhill. If you tromp on the brakes, it'll also do an early downshift to brake assist. The RPM's go up quite quickly. It is a bit weird to be running down the road at 50 MHP in first gear ... Been there / done that many times by now.

Bob
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Good point, I assumed diesel and know that redline is like 4000 or 4500....
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Hi

It's a gas engine. The shift points all come from Mr. Ford and his magical computer. I just put it in cruise and let the engine brake do it's thing. It never goes over redline.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Comment made in humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Although I've overall been very pleased with our 2013 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow, at 115k miles we decided to buy a new truck with lots of long journeys planned for the next few years. The F150 with a Propride hitch has been a very stable tow platform, even with frequent drives in heavy cross winds, and the engine has been great with loads over power. We have had about 1640 available payload per yellow door sticker which we are right there each time we have run it across the scales.

We looked into a new F150 and to get the level of toys that I want on the truck, we end up with door stickers around 1450 pounds of available payload which we would be over with our normal gear. Also, the new F150's felt a lot softer then our current one and I really question how stable of platform it would be compared to our old truck. I'm also considering hauling a moto with me at some point so really wanted to do a jump in payload. With only a token price increase and no noticeable ride difference from an F250, we ended up picking up a F350 Platinum with all the toys. We have around 3300 pounds of available payload.

Absolutely love the truck. Along with being a torque monster, love having he exhaust brake, the pano roof, all the cameras, adaptive cruise, all LED lighting, even messaging seats. If you haven't checked out the '17 Super Dutys, the are a completely different animal then the prior years. The biggest downside is getting it in our garage (3" to spare) and knowing we don't have the same turning radius and it will be hard to back our Airstream in tighter campsites.

The big challenge is we currently have is our Airstream is in storage out of state and I'll need to get our Propride hitch set up for the new truck at the storage facility when we get there next month. I will do a new stinger for the 2 1/2" hitch receiver and the longer drop piece since the new truck is so much taller. I have spoken with Sean at Propride and he recommended that I stay with the 1400 pound spring bars we currently have even though it seems like overkill since I shouldn't need to push much weight to the front axle and I don't want to beat the trailer with the stiffer truck. He said that I should just lessen the amount of weight transfer with the jacks and I should be good.

If anyone else has a 2017 F350 using a Propride has any additional thoughts I would sure appreciate hearing them.
Was a ford guy for 40 years, 2016 I left the dark side behind.

Safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #55
Damien

2012 27' FB International
2023 30' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Colorado
Just following up on my experience:

After struggling to get the Gen-Y dialed in, I returned the whole rig because I couldn't get the trailer level enough and the weight distribution bars hung way too low.

I ended up going back to my original Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch with a new shank. It worked great last season and I didn't notice it treating my trailer any differently then when I had my F-150.
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tot2learn View Post
Just following up on my experience:

After struggling to get the Gen-Y dialed in, I returned the whole rig because I couldn't get the trailer level enough and the weight distribution bars hung way too low.

I ended up going back to my original Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch with a new shank. It worked great last season and I didn't notice it treating my trailer any differently then when I had my F-150.

Thanks for the follow up!
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
A great way to reduce low amplitude stiffness, the vibration associated with it and all that energy beating up the trailer and passengers is to add Sulastic Spring Shackles. They are a bit pricey at about $400 a pair but they make a very noticeable difference in the thousands of small and medium bumps without compromising spring rates for the big bumps and heavy loads. Here is a review: http://www.offroad-review.com/wp_/su...shackles-gen4/

Note: They are most effective for three quarter and one ton trucks, I don't have a recommendation for them on half ton trucks.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We use a Airsafe hitch and after 50k plus miles would not pull without it.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I do not hunt Elk with a BB Gun.

I do not tow my 27 foot International with a Yugo, but a F350 Diesel with Michelin tires.

Am I missing something? If Grandma was writing the check for any tow vehicle your heart desired... what would it be? Then get it. Grandma has money because she did not squander it on mistakes of taking other people's opinions... for what is best for HER.

Use your own money and if you cannot afford it... well, you have your answer.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Cheese & Crackers Got all Muddy....How did we ever make it all these years without these wonderful opinions. 😘

Bob
🇺🇸