Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There are not two balls. It appears to be a solid fixed connection to the TV. Also, from another pic online, the toad wheels are spring loaded on-center, like a dolly. Shouldn't be a backing issue at all.

I still think it's a band aide fix item though, for not enough TV. But that's just my opinion.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
If you noticed my profile picture it is of me hooking up our family's 1950 26' Pan American. This was in 1952. We were traveling (moving) from Michigan to California following ROUTE 66 the entire way. Dad had welded a very sturdy hitch to the 1948 Nash Ambassador but the 5k+ DRY (remember we were moving) trailer was becoming difficult to handle by the time we reached Texas. So expecting some more difficult highway through New Mexico and Arizona the California we then bought what was called a 'dolly' to relive much of the tongue weight. Slimp wheel, which resembled a 'caster' that could swivel was another type of dolly, which would make it possible to back the trailer up. It was too expensive. We did encounter a situation (in LA.) where dad had to rehitch the trailer after the dolly locked up in an intersection....on a hill! I will never forget THAT! I was 14.

Attached Images

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I can't see how those dolly wheels wouldn't make backing up difficult if not impossible. The reason you can't back up with a tow dolly or four-down towing is because, as someone put it to me, you're backing up a wagon, and the front wheels can go wherever they like. If you lock the wheels into a straight direction, your wheelbase is huge and turning is going to be hard (think about pushing that wagon, trying to change its direction, without turning the front wheels; the only force you can apply would be at the tip of the handle - or think about how much the tires on a 34' twist when it's turning while backing up). If there's something I'm missing, I would like to hear the correction.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I understand your request of no one to tell you what you cannot do but you are trying to pull something with a vehicle that both payload and tow rating are being violated. According to the manufacturer the Jeep Diesel is not designed for it. That would include the axles, transmission and cooling system,

<title>Explore Jeep Capabilities | Towing Reference Guide | Jeep

2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote