Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We have an Atwood Electric Tongue Jack, and the manual crank handle inserts directly in the front of the motor housing. See page 4, illustration 1, item C - Manual Crank Handle, in link below:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2011.21.07.pdf

As mentioned in other posts, we keep the top of the jack covered with an old boat fender that has one end cut off, secured with a bungee cord. This protects most of the mechanical parts from sun, rain, snow, rocks and dirt, road debris, etc.; and our jack looks and operates same as new after five years of use. The only maintenance I have done on it is to replace the light bulb.

That looks better than others I've seen. When I use the hand crank, do I have to crank the electric motor as well as lift the trailer tongue?

This might be a compromise jack for me when I get old.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Hmmm, I really don't know, as I haven't had to use the hand crank yet. I suspect that when one turns the crank, the motor shaft gets turned, too; but that's just a guess.

No one I know has this electric jack; so I don't know if it's reliable, or if we are just lucky, since we have had no problems with it.

Some seem to think an electric jack is unnecessary, but with the sun beating down on you in 115+ degree heat, anything that reduces manual effort and accelerates the hook-up process is welcomed (and used).

By installing this jack, my wife can raise and lower the trailer tongue, instead of her watching me alternately crank the jack and back the truck, which gets both of us into our air conditioned pickup cab a few minutes faster (and usually prevents a little arguing, too).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
What more can be said...You guys are great...All suggestions make since....I am 70 and would rather get upset about something else other than a @#&^%) jack (I don't cuss, but do a lot of thinking!). Believe me, I have a bag full of things to get upset about other than jacks, windows, converters, showers, dents, et al. And, that list is prior to any camping...I love'er though (so far). Tom
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Had to go up town and went buy a trailer sales that sells part (not AS). They recommended a Husky Brute, HB 3000, 3000lb continuous lifting w/smart stop for $235. Of course, I want to check out all the above mentioned jacks first, but does any one have any information pro/con on this jack compared to the ones listed? Just a thought..........
Old 06-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
See my comments above on the Husky Brute: I repeat them here:

"Got a Husky Brute which sounded like it was a good one. It is OK, but not even in the ballpark with the old Reese's. It is slow and wobbles even though they tell you how great it is with the "recirculating ball" screw jack post. Some say the Barker's are good, haven't tried one yet. The A&E looks ok, but again, no experience with it."
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
idroba--You have me convenced..I am certainly glad you called my attention to the Brute--I missed it. I am going to read the notes again and see what else I might have missed. But......Husky is out of the running. Thanks again..Ya might have saved me more money. They say that a boat in the water is a hole you continue to poor money into...any AS names??
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Finally, one snuck through.....

First of all, thanks to everyone that posted suggestions and provided a wealth of information. Here is what I finally did to solve my jack problems???

Barker - that is the brand that came on Bambi and I have had a lot of problems with it so I didn't take that route

Reese - looked good especially the guarantee of 5 years..tempting. It was in the running but what I got won out.

Bulldog Manual - I hope I can find something else to bide my time rather than cranking the ol'Bambi by hand. I did give it some thought and the left side of my brain said no.

The winner is...........I don't think I'll tell ha............drum roll.....

Atwood 3500 Power Torque Heavy Duty. I did like the "Pawn Stars" and called in an another authority, John, and he agreed with Phoenix on the Atwood. You ALL provided great info, but I only needed one jack. I checked several websites and found AdventureRV had equal or lower pricing and a 2-day shipment for $9 more and that was what I needed. Item 255837 $262.75 includes special mailing/handling. The way I am going, $200 here, $200 there, it all hurts so why worry about it....We middle class don't pay taxes anyway so we have lotsa okani. Darn, I shoulda quit while I was ahead.

Thanks again to ya'll. Tom
Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plainfield , New Hampshire
Trailer front electrid jack

Good luck to those of you who bought manual jacks. Mine just broke. came crashing down while attempting to get trailer off of tv. Luckily no one was hurt. Now it's stuck on tv with the jack bottom dragging on the ground. The crank handle just spins around won't engage up or down. Of course I'm at a campground miles from home. Planning on somehow getting it raised high enough to drive.
MikeAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #29

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAir
Good luck to those of you who bought manual jacks. Mine just broke. came crashing down while attempting to get trailer off of tv. Luckily no one was hurt. Now it's stuck on tv with the jack bottom dragging on the ground. The crank handle just spins around won't engage up or down. Of course I'm at a campground miles from home. Planning on somehow getting it raised high enough to drive.
Can you unbolt it from the A-frame and remove the entire assembly?

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Jack

Could you use your TV's jack (I have).