Old 07-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
17 Ram , 6.7....down hill in same gear as up hill mostly...exhaust brake is on...very seldom touch the brakes...

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2638 View Post
Does anyone have any information or thoughts on new 1500 GMC crewcab 4x4 with 6.2/ 10 spd trans. for towing 27FB out west and in mountains? Have 2015 1500 with 5.3/6 spd tow package but not Max tow and dont think motor/trans/brakes have quite enough reserve for temperatures and hill climbing/desent. Like GMC drivability and they sit lower to ground than others. And would go diesel only if this combo doesnt get job done.
Just another opinion on your TV issue. I have a GMC 1500 4x4, short box, short cab and 5.3l engine that I have used to tow my 25 ft Airstream. It was not a confidence inspiring experience. I have since purchased a Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4x4 Crew Cab and I am much happier towing with heaver truck. It is probably overkill for the trailer weight, but the payload is only a little over 2000 lbs, so if you plan to carry anything more than you and a full tank of fuel, you may want to consider a 2500 size truck. Payload is reduced by the weight of 4x4, crew cab, Diesel engine, fuel, tongue weight of trailer, hitch parts and anything you may want to carry in the bed of the truck, like generator, bicycles, motorcycle, bbq grill or many other personal desires. Check out the door sticker on any truck you consider for the payload and know the weight of what you will want to carry and the weight of necessary towing equipment. Don't forget to add in the fuel weight. 'Plan ahead' is the best advice I can give.

Happy trailering
Abe

Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:28 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
There is no such thing out there. You can downshift and let the engine rev up but without adding in braking you will blow your engine eventualy.
Hi

The same cruise control driven braking that "does it's thing" on a diesel also now functions on gas engine trucks. The load on the transmission and engine are no greater than in any other normal use (like going up the hill in the first place ...).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #46
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
Sonora Pass

Check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonora_Pass

We took our 1999 Chevy Silverado (gas) and 23D up and down that pass. up to 26% grades - yes - 26% grades. Felt a bit intense at times but both the TV and TT did fine. It was a cooler day, actually serious tiny hail at the pass, so that helped cool the brakes.

I always use the TT brakes to take me down to a speed in which I can then downshift the TV and let it handle the load.

You guys and your big diesels (read tongue-in-cheek joke here). Once day I'll get a diesel, but not until my truck gives up. Greenest truck is the one you have.

P.S. TV is 6-liter Vortec engine with 165K miles.

Thanks all for a fun thread!
ranchometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I've been up to 10% grades. They require your attention, but not scary. I can't even imagine 26% grade.

Braking or climbing power aside, are you able to maintain sight of the roadway when climbing at 26% or do you just see the sky and pray?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Not true. While there is no such thing as a separate engine brake on a gasoline engine, there definitely is a function known as engine braking. It is simply using the retarding force of the engine (developed by pumping losses in the intake system of the engine) to slow vehicle speed. Blowing up one's engine would be due to revving up over redline. That means you are in the wrong gear.

It is because diesel engines don't have those pumping losses and resultant engine braking that exhaust brakes (and for large trucks, compression release brakes) were developed. Gasoline engines don't need them.
Down shifting a gas engine to slow it down will give you minimal braking while towing a trailer that is heavier than the truck. You either use the brakes or eventually the truck will increase in speed being pushed downhill and Will over rev the engine period. Gas engines do not heave the torque .
I towed with an F 150 Ecoboost and now I tow with an F 250 Diesel. There is no comparison. I can descend while towing our 30' classic from any of the passes out west with my cruise set at 45 mph and never have to touch the brakes. The engine rpm will hold steady.
If you believe there is no difference between diesel and gas you have never used a diesel period.
franklyfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #49
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
Sky, then road, then sky... No, seriously it was intense. Not to mention the hair-pin curves!
ranchometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
As a south Florida boy I’d say you’ll be fine. I returned from a trip recently though N Georgia, TN, and northern Alabama and was a little concerned about the “mountains”. I pull a 30’ bunk with my 1/2 ton 05 Sierra 6.0l gas. My family are truckers and they just said to use a lower gear going down hill. That’s what I did staying at the poste d truck speed and didn’t have to use the brakes much at all. Kept transmission in 2nd gear on some steeper ones and it held me around 50mph.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchometal View Post
Greenest truck is the one you have!
Yes!! So true!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
. I can descend while towing our 30' classic from any of the passes out west with my cruise set at 45 mph and never have to touch the brakes. The engine rpm will hold steady.
Frank, is that with or without an exhaust brake?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonora_Pass

We took our 1999 Chevy Silverado (gas) and 23D up and down that pass. up to 26% grades - yes - 26% grades. Felt a bit intense at times but both the TV and TT did fine. It was a cooler day, actually serious tiny hail at the pass, so that helped cool the brakes.

I always use the TT brakes to take me down to a speed in which I can then downshift the TV and let it handle the load.

You guys and your big diesels (read tongue-in-cheek joke here). Once day I'll get a diesel, but not until my truck gives up. Greenest truck is the one you have.

P.S. TV is 6-liter Vortec engine with 165K miles.

Thanks all for a fun thread!
I've ridden my road bike up and down that grade (Ebbetts pass). Yes, 26% is pretty insane. It about killed me going up. My bicycle had a hard time staying under 40 mph going down. They do warn that trailers are not advised. The hairpin curves are 5 mph at best. It's a popular road for superbikes. Not sure if I think you're brave or crazy for taking your trailer that way.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:22 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Sky, then road, then sky... No, seriously it was intense. Not to mention the hair-pin curves!

Sounds like this:

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Frank, is that with or without an exhaust brake?
It's with the engine brake set on auto mode.
With that setting all I have to do is tap the brakes at the speed I want to set and the engine brake will hold that speed all the way down.
franklyfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #56
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Down shifting a gas engine to slow it down will give you minimal braking while towing a trailer that is heavier than the truck. You either use the brakes or eventually the truck will increase in speed being pushed downhill and Will over rev the engine period. Gas engines do not heave the torque .
I towed with an F 150 Ecoboost and now I tow with an F 250 Diesel. There is no comparison. I can descend while towing our 30' classic from any of the passes out west with my cruise set at 45 mph and never have to touch the brakes. The engine rpm will hold steady.
If you believe there is no difference between diesel and gas you have never used a diesel period.
Hi

Well, my trailer outweighs my truck by a wide margin. The F-250 does have a gas engine in it. No problem controlling speed going down a long 10% grade with the engine supplying the braking. Done it lots of times .... PA is full of grades ...

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote