Old 06-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #43
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I do not know why any one would cut their dodge hitch off, as mine is bolted on with bolts and no welds.

Factory is welded. Bolt on is dealer addition. My rig deformed the bolts. REESE #45299 a far better piece than factory.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member
2014 28' International
San Jose , California
Diesel power

Originally Posted by Top View Post
Although I wouldn't entirely discount payload, I'm not afraid to exceed it a little when towing about 3,000 miles a year. If I were towing weekly as a fulltimer, I would probably get a diesel powered 3/4T pickup.

I read this article today. Old article, but new to me.
Ram Tough Dilemma: Hemi vs. EcoDiesel

I especially liked this-

"Although the Hemi is a perfectly acceptable tow companion, from the seat-of-the-pants view, it feels like there’s less degradation of performance when towing or hauling with the EcoDiesel than with the Hemi. The EcoDiesel feels happy hauling a load, whereas the Hemi is happier hauling ass."

I've never towed with a HEMI, so I can't say anything about it. But I can say that my EcoDiesel will tow my Airstream 75MPH against a 15MPH headwind without any problem. It burns the diesel at a fast rate, but it isn't lacking power.

Agreed with Top.

My ecodiesel tow our 28 Iternational with no problem.Heavy winds over 15mph or more are very common on I 10, 40etc have never been a problem for this engine.

Fuel consumption is great considering our pażload weight and trailer, but we never lack of power.Although we like a lot our ecodiesel, considering Diesel power vs gas engines it is worth to look within the half ton trucks the new Nissan Titan with the new Cummins engine.
In terms to get our ecodiesel towing capacity up to the mark, we added Michelin tires Lt Ms 10plies that can handle more payload weight and also added after market air bags to the suspension. Basically it is a matter to travel as light is possible, the lighter the better and keep your weight to your truck limitations and safe handling. We have been on the road for over 7months and so far no problem, however it took me about 3months to get where we are today trying all sorts of hitch adjustments to get my weight balanced accordingly to the " book standards" and opinions of a lot of people here at the forum to whom I am very grateful, but after meeting personally some experienced people that have been towing not only travel trailers or fifth wheels, but big 40ton trucks, I did the adjustments they suggested.Tires and air bag suspension. After that my trips to the Cat Scales ended. Never drive any faster than 55, however. Happy camping

Flyingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
One of the advantages of being the payer is also being the decider of where/how that money is paid....
... to each his own...
But I'd be a lot happier with the factory hitch than the Curt, under the described circumstances.
The factory hitch takes into consideration the frame gauge and structure when it was rated. The Curt may not have any responsibility for that requirement. (It reminds me of the aircraft hardware I found holding the lawn chair together... It pulled right out of the tubing when my overweight friend sat in it.)

As for identifying factory or dealer-add-on.... my Warren, MI built RAM left the factory with a welded-tube, bolt-on hitch installed on the assembly-line and documented on the build-sheet as part of the towing pkg.
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4.7L 4X4
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #46
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My hitch is bolted to the frame at the factory , not welded to the frame ,the assembly is welded,
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #47
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Factory is welded. Bolt on is dealer addition. My rig deformed the bolts. REESE #45299 a far better piece than factory.
Maybe on an old DODGE like you have, but not on a new RAM.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Well mine is an 07, my neighbors is an 08 with the same bolted on hitch, and it will probably hold up more than the back of the frame where it is bolted on,it has towed our 2013 31' classic and our 2004 30' classic about 40,O00 miles with no problems....

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote