Old 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #29
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
Welcome to the 'neighborhood' in advance! Winter Garden is definitely growing, but then everywhere around here is. As a real estate atty I'm not complaining!

I do the same thing; go around and around and around the trailer. Big time killer but I can't hit the road until I reach a certain zen-like oneness with the trailer. At the perfect moment when I'm satisfied I've done all I can to get her ready and she's given me a certain vibe that she's agreed to follow me wherever I go without objection, off we go!

Wish I was going somewhere right now ...
Yeah, some times I feel like a dog circling his bed. I do a few laps around before I am comfortable too!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
A dog circling his bed! That is perfect and hilarious! You nailed it ...

BH

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #31
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
It took so long to get packed up and under way this past week end that I just knew I was providing great entertainment for the campground host on the site across the street from our site and then I realized that I had taken so long that he and his wife had long gone inside their 5th wheel or left their campsite.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
It took so long to get packed up and under way this past week end that I just knew I was providing great entertainment for the campground host on the site across the street from our site and then I realized that I had taken so long that he and his wife had long gone inside their 5th wheel or left their campsite.

OK show a pic I want to see this golf cart, Airstream, F250 and what ever else you haul in that rag....know the feeling.....heard this before....oh honey can we bring?......do we still have room for???....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
You have the best levelers out there. Many people have the large side to side levels mounted to the front of the trailer. Put the large ramp under the front wheel on the low side and drive up onto it until you can see the trailer is level by looking out your back window. Set your parking brake and go back and jam the locking chock onto the first ramp. Get back in the truck and release the brake and make sure everything is still level. Go back and install the between the wheel lock chock. Unhitch the truck and level from front to back with a small 6 in level (kept in the door pocket of your truck along with the voltage/polarity checker). This make a nice one person operation.
I am going to make my own set like these out of wood...untill I can hunt down a nice aluminum set.
One question comes to mind; is there any problem using this method with a dual axles camper?
Only one wheel will be elevated. I currently carry boards that are long enough to drive both wheels onto...

Thanx, Bill
Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #34
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I am going to make my own set like these out of wood...untill I can hunt down a nice aluminum set.
One question comes to mind; is there any problem using this method with a dual axles camper?
Only one wheel will be elevated. I currently carry boards that are long enough to drive both wheels onto...

Thanx, Bill
I camped once with only one wheel on a ramp, the other was in the air. I did not loke the look of it and bought a second set of Lynx levelers. With the dual axels you can also use the between the wheels type of chocks instead of jamming one behind the tire.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #35
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I camped once with only one wheel on a ramp, the other was in the air. I did not loke the look of it and bought a second set of Lynx levelers. With the dual axels you can also use the between the wheels type of chocks instead of jamming one behind the tire.
Yeah-I guess my question is; can you do any damage to the axle (s) by driving just one tire up on a ramp to level the camper?

BTW-how much off-level were you that the other tire was hanging in the air?

I try to find a spot that is within +/- 2" before I break out the boards...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #36
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know we have been quite lucky in the few places (relatively speaking) that we have camped this summer. We have always received a level camp site and not had to worry with leveling side to side. I keep a three foot level just inside the door to check level. My wife attached velcro, sorry, I mean hook and loop tape to the top and I stick it to the fuzzy wall covering on the bulkhead between the "salon" and the front bedroom.

The place I need to use my lynx leveling blocks is in my yard. The location where I park the AS has a drop of about 2-1/2 inches from side to side so I use three sets of lego blocks there. Since I knew our camp site on our last trip would be level I didn't even take them up to take them along over Labor Day Week End. When we got home they were already set up so I took about twice as long lining up with them as I would have needed to re-stack them behind the wheels if I had taken them up. I do use the plastic wedges to chock the tires both at home and at camp grounds. So far they have been adequate without having to get out the malet and hammer them in like Robin Williams did in "RV" , but I do plan on getting the between-the-tire type tire locks before next season.

BTW, someone once told me he didn't want the between-the-tire type for fear the preasure would break the belts in the tire or get the tires out of round. But it seems to me the weight of the trailer would exert more pressure on the tires than the tire locks unless you over tighten them. What do you guys think?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Another question....
what weight capacity trailer jack is the right one to use, I assume 2000lbs for my 31'. Not ready to replace it yet, but that is on my list
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #38
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Yeah-I guess my question is; can you do any damage to the axle (s) by driving just one tire up on a ramp to level the camper?

BTW-how much off-level were you that the other tire was hanging in the air?

I try to find a spot that is within +/- 2" before I break out the boards...
I was about 4" off. Good luck finding a flat spot in Northern Arizona! The way I see it, it can't be good to have all the weight on one axel when the trailer has two.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Exclamation And another Important Thing......

I always check to see if the hookups have electric before I do anything else. A guy really gets mad that is all set up, level, and unhitched when he discovers that there is no electric at the box. Don't ask me how I know... just learn from MY mistakes.
Kevin
Old 09-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #40
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
I always check to see if the hookups have electric before I do anything else. A guy really gets mad that is all set up, level, and unhitched when he discovers that there is no electric at the box. Don't ask me how I know... just learn from MY mistakes.
Kevin
Been there done that...then the camp ground manager came and flipped the breaker and voila, the air conditioner came on . Hey, it was our first night in a camp ground after picking up the "Changes". He explained that it is customary to turn the breakers off before disconnecting the electricity to prevent damage to the electical system in the trailer.

Live and learn.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
question relating to the Reese srping bars and their set up, the part you attach the chains to and flip up...they have holes thru them for a pin...linch pin I guess? Is this necessary to keep these secured at the top of the tongue bars...I went looking for some 1/4" by 2 1/2 or so today to fit but have not yet gotten any.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:48 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
question relating to the Reese srping bars and their set up, the part you attach the chains to and flip up...they have holes thru them for a pin...linch pin I guess? Is this necessary to keep these secured at the top of the tongue bars...I went looking for some 1/4" by 2 1/2 or so today to fit but have not yet gotten any.
I found some at ACE Hardware.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote