Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Parking and setting up

Since I am new to the trailer side of this aluminum thing, I have a couple of questions.
1, What type wheel chocks or blocks are best for stability. The ones I have are like those below. Actually leveling blocks.

2. When you set up, what is the order that you normally do things, like set the blocks, lower the levelers, unhook from the truck, etc.

My main fear at this point is having a 31 footer rolling down an incline becaue I didn't get it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36_1.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	25647  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hoo boy...this could be a loaded ?
But here are some basics.
Back in (make sure you are close enough to your hookups!)
Level with boards side/side
Chock
Unhitch
Level front/back
Put down stabilizers

The remainder is personal preference.

Be sure to reverse this part of the procedure when you leave.

Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Well, I don't have a picture but the first thing I do is check the side to side level so I can ride up on a block if I have to. Then I place my wheel chocks which are Roto-chocks. That locks my wheels in place so the trailer won't move when I disconnect from the truck. After I disconnect I level the trailer then I set the stabilizers down. After that comes water, electric and setting up the camp site.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Alan, I always figured that as long as the brakes are on and the unit is level enough for the appliances, is good enough.
I've gotten to the point where I like to have my head higher than my feet and if I can lean to the curb side that makes me certain that I won't fall out of bed.
Wal-Mart season is approaching and they don't have many level spots... must be about drainage.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good Chocks

You've got very good chock blocks... I just hate the Wal-mart cheapies - especially after I left one on and easily ran over it, pancaking it.

I also use a scissor type lock that fits between the tires - and ratchets to tighten. Keeps those tires from moving at all. Might conceivably slow down a thief momentarily too.

Paula Ford

PS: Don't forget if you ever DO have a trailer start running away after you've taken it off the ball, grab the emergency brake wire and yank HARD!
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
ok so my blocks will work, but how do you do the board levelling side to side? Is there a method that works, and what boards should I carry? Thanks
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
ok so my blocks will work, but how do you do the board levelling side to side? Is there a method that works, and what boards should I carry? Thanks
I carry mostly the "Lego-type" 12" square levelling blocks, but I also carry a couple of 12" wide 3/4" boards because the Lego blocks will break if placed on a real rough surface.

The Lego blocks also serve as a ramp to raise a wheel off the ground to change a tire.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I use Lynx Levelers, got them at Wally World. I got two packs so that I can raise both tires on the low side. I use the chocks that sissor between the tires brcause I do not trust the plastic ones when I am on a hill or on the ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lynx.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	25665  
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi ALANSD--I use low tech. 8-pieces of 2"x8"x12" which I can assemble in many combinations to level the low side. Then 2-pieces of 4'x4'x6" tight against the tread of both high side tires, between the tires, to prevent rolling.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You have the best levelers out there. Many people have the large side to side levels mounted to the front of the trailer. Put the large ramp under the front wheel on the low side and drive up onto it until you can see the trailer is level by looking out your back window. Set your parking brake and go back and jam the locking chock onto the first ramp. Get back in the truck and release the brake and make sure everything is still level. Go back and install the between the wheel lock chock. Unhitch the truck and level from front to back with a small 6 in level (kept in the door pocket of your truck along with the voltage/polarity checker). This make a nice one person operation.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
You have the best levelers out there. Many people have the large side to side levels mounted to the front of the trailer. Put the large ramp under the front wheel on the low side and drive up onto it until you can see the trailer is level by looking out your back window. Set your parking brake and go back and jam the locking chock onto the first ramp. Get back in the truck and release the brake and make sure everything is still level. Go back and install the between the wheel lock chock. Unhitch the truck and level from front to back with a small 6 in level (kept in the door pocket of your truck along with the voltage/polarity checker). This make a nice one person operation.
Yeah-where do you get those? I have been looking around for that type of leveler? So easy to use...

Thanx, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
One thing that nobody mentioned is releasing the safety chains last when un-hooking. I always do it that way, so if the trailer isn't blocked correctly, the chains will prevent it from getting away from you.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I use Lynx Levelers, got them at Wally World. I got two packs so that I can raise both tires on the low side. I use the chocks that sissor between the tires brcause I do not trust the plastic ones when I am on a hill or on the ramp.
Lynx also makes chock blocks that fit into the lego style flat pieces. These are serious heavy duty ones, not like the Walmart cheapies. I found mine at Safford RV in Virginia. I also like the scissor type. so I chock one side, scissor the other.

The last thing I ever want to have to do is chase a trailer down an incline.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
After unhitching, I like to drop the front of the trailer a tad bit lower than level, go to the rear and secure the stabilizers snugly, then go back to the tongue jack and raise it until it is under just a little bit of strain (not too much here or you could do some damage) then lower the front stabilizers, retract the tongue jack, and you’ve taken all the jiggle out of the trailer.

Also, when moving the TV, go real slow, just in case you’ve forgotten to unhook the safety chains. Don’t ask me how I know this!

Gene
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by genearnold
After unhitching, I like to drop the front of the trailer a tad bit lower than level, go to the rear and secure the stabilizers snugly, then go back to the tongue jack and raise it until it is under just a little bit of strain (not too much here or you could do some damage) then lower the front stabilizers, retract the tongue jack, and you’ve taken all the jiggle out of the trailer.

Also, when moving the TV, go real slow, just in case you’ve forgotten to unhook the safety chains. Don’t ask me how I know this!

Gene
Doesn't that put too much weight on the stabilizers?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks all, I think I got it, now to try it out.....I will probably get some chocks to go between the wheels, and use my current aluminum blocks to level the trailer.
Its amazing how different this all is for the moho. Very little leveling eve r required for it, and of course a parking brake.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #17
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hi Alan

Welcome to the other side of Airstreaming.

Since no one mentioned it, be sure to disconnect your seven pin before you remove the chains. Ours has been damaged as a result of forgetting this simple step.

Happy Trails.

Sharon & Winston
Silvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My wife and I make a good team when it comes to hitching and setting up. We each have our tasks and we double check each other. One important thing I learned on a resent trip is, do not let others help. It is distracting and you will forget things. When others are setting up, keep your distance and let them do their thing. If they ask for help fine or if they are about to do something bad (raise the hitch with the jacks down), you should help. Other then that, wait till they are setup (or hitched) before you join them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
My wife and I make a good team when it comes to hitching and setting up. We each have our tasks and we double check each other. One important thing I learned on a resent trip is, do not let others help. It is distracting and you will forget things. When others are setting up, keep your distance and let them do their thing. If they ask for help fine or if they are about to do something bad (raise the hitch with the jacks down), you should help. Other then that, wait till they are setup (or hitched) before you join them.
This is so true! I never have any problem when we camp alone but I have found that when we go with a group I have to take time to say hello and then unhitch by myself when the time comes because I am distracted if someone try's to help. I have a certain order to things and if I follow that order everything is OK but I have to be very careful if something is done out of sequence.

This may sound funny but it works for me.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Quote:
Doesn't that put too much weight on the stabilizers?
Good question. I don't think it does as I am careful to not overdo the process. Perhaps my description leaves the impression that I use the stabilizers to actually raise the trailer--I don't do that. Its just a simple trick that simplifies my set-up.

Gene