Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #41
Air Al

2010 25' FB International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to alreed
23 vs 25

My wife and I upgraded from a 22' CCD to a 25 FB and the difference is night and day. We have two dogs also, and the extra length makes longer trip more relaxing--no need to disassemble the table to make room for the dogs to sleep on the looong couch.
alreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short563 View Post
As someone who analyzes numbers for a living, I have been looking at 23-27 foot models. According to CamperReport.com a 25 footer will fit in 93% of the National Parks. While I really like the 23FB, the 98" width is a deal breaker. In addition to the 102" width of the 25FB, it also has the option of twin beds. While my wife and I have a queen today, there seems to be an overwhelming consensus that that twins are easier to make, move around, provide more sleeping area and allow for better storage. Now if Airstream would just build a Tommy Bahama 25FB with twins I would have the perfect trailer!

Not this one! [emoji41]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	301190
Old 12-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waterville , Ohio
Cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeith84 View Post
Hello everyone.. We are considering purchasing the Flying Cloud 23FB. Our tow vehicle is a 2018 Tundra 2WD 5.7L V8. My spouse has reservation about the unit being large enough to accommodate us and our two pug dogs. We plan to use the unit for long weekends and occasionally long road trips with weeklong stays a couple of times a year. Our first Airstream was an International 23CCD and I am very confident about towing the 23.. navigating through traffic, backing into the campsite etc. Are there significant difference (challenges) in towing a 23FB verses a 25FB? Would appreciate any input you might want to share.
I would seriously consider going with the 25FB! My husband and I just purchased a 25’ Flying Cloud. The 2 extra feet makes a ton of difference inside. Towing the 2 extra feet is easy! I think you will regret the cramped layout of the 23. We looked at both and when I searched for used I found a lot more 23s for sale. Most people who buy 25s keep them. A lot of 23 buyers trade up. Save yourself time, money and hassle!
cbourland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Tow vehicle - Tortoise & Hare

I have GMC Savana with 5.7 towing 28' TT. No problemo east of the Mississipppi.

I just keep my speed at 62 mph max and all tires at their max inflation pressure. However, problems start when I get into mountains and higher elevations out west - then I am in the right lane behind an old semi doing 50 mph on the uphill grades in NM and CO, oh and with the AC turned off while going uphill!

Make sure you have oversized radiator and tranny cooler.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Not this one! [emoji41]
Attachment 301190
That's not a "campground size" issue, is it? The Going to the Sun road in Glacier also has restriction for vehicle length...so, you go a different way around to your destination. There are restrictions on several roads especially in some of the National Parks..pays to know about the road your traveling...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Lets not lose sight of the fact that a lot of the trailers out there are measured for the "box" and the AS are measured from the tongue to bumper.
So a 20ft in most trailer folks minds, is technically a 23ft AS.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Grain of salt.

Consider the " You should get what we have because we love it " syndrome while you are making you decision.

Most trailers are too small at the campsite, and too large on the road. ha ha

Why do smaller used trailers usually sell for more than larger used trailers ????

Two little dogs don't take up very much space.

Bottom line…it's how YOU are going to use the trailer. Short/Long trips…Short/Long stays.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
My edit timer stopped me, but was going to add that presently I pull the 23ft with a Toyota Land Cruiser. Going to a Tundra and a 25ft will be a significant change in my ability to navigate tight places with a longer TV wheelbase and a 3 ft longer trailer. Clearly a drawback for some of us, but depends on how you use your trailer. I will probably need to scale back my off road boondocking.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
My edit timer stopped me, but was going to add that presently I pull the 23ft with a Toyota Land Cruiser. Going to a Tundra and a 25ft will be a significant change in my ability to navigate tight places with a longer TV wheelbase and a 3 ft longer trailer. Clearly a drawback for some of us, but depends on how you use your trailer. I will probably need to scale back my off road boondocking.
Confident, you will be fine! The 25 tows/parks very easily behind the 1/2T TV's.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Confident, you will be fine! The 25 tows/parks very easily behind the 1/2T TV's.
Appreciate the vote of confidence !
It will still be at least another year before we start looking.
But to the point of the thread, we love the 23 for weekends and ease of towing/moving around. I was focused on the 19ft for quite a while, but the tandem axles on the 23 and extra weight were what sold me.
However when we start spending extended time out, (1-4wks at a time), the 23 would just be too tight for the two of us and our two 2 english setters.
From what I am hearing, there is a similar ease of towing with a 1/2ton and that would make the larger 25 an easy decision.
But I wont lie, we would still miss the 23 as it fits perfectly here at home (but is headed to inside storage when all the family leaves after Christmas. It does make for a wonderful spare guest room though....
Old 12-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #51

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Issaquah , Washington
My wife and I decided to switch vacation modes from a large trip once a year to an Airstream more often. We were set on some version of the 23 but once we got inside a 25 it was hard to look at the narrow bodies. We would have fit well in a 23 but it felt a lot smaller compared to the 25 because of the way the light comes in.

With a 6 month old daughter, I covered 3/4 inch plywood with vinyl to span the gap between the twin beds and added a crib mattress so the entire back end becomes a bed. The three of us and 2 shelties huddle up. Attached a pic to show the setup. I added dark brown corner padding on the nightstand and wardrobe to keep the little one bumping around. 2 years later and were always looking for excuses to take the Airstream out.

Towing about 5,000 miles over the past couple of years in a 5.7 gas ‘15 Toyota Sequoia Platinum (air suspension feel like cheating) and load bearing hitch around Washington and Oregon with no issues except my improving ability to back into spaces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C86A9FE-F12E-4BAF-9113-6F7408F1B034.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	301264  
timekilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Never brought it home

We were set on a new 23 CB or some call it a D.

We pondered and thought. Put a deposit down and gave ourself’s a month of “ Think Time “ We are glad we did as we gave up on the 23 and instead bought a 25 Flying Cloud with the Twin Front Beds.

Nothing negative about the 23D we just felt more comfortable with the 25 layout and additional storage. That 23 with the corner bed was the major reason we switched.

The people on the 23D site are wonderful! I wonder if there is a 25 site?
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We started with a 2013 25FB International Serenity purchased while overseas looking at the Airstream website. The tow vehicle used to bring it home empty from Los Angles to the east edge of Phoenix was my existing 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI turbo diesel. The Hensley Arrow hitch stinger was shortened and bent and the Mercedes had it's receiver reinforced at CanAm in London, Ontario, Canada. I had no issues maintaining 55 mph on the trip home even on the climb east bound out of Palm Springs on I-10.

After loading the 25FB with all the stuff we thought we would need along with 15" Michelin tires, we were at 6,900 pounds and the Mercedes was not happy with that weight. Rather than damage the drivetrain, I acquired a 2012 Rams 2500HD Cummins and that solved the towing issue.

However, I quickly got very tired of the front cross frame queen and some other issues. One really needs to spend time sitting in the dinette looking at the television with their heads turned to decide if that layout works well for them.

The 25FB was traded in on a 2014 31' Classic with twin beds with a ProPride hitch.

We decided to add a 2015 23D International Serenity and reused the Hensley Arrow hitch and the Mercedes. The 23D scales 6,069 pounds camping loaded and we tow it at 55 mph and the Mercedes is happy with that load even in the mountains. Since we upgraded the 23D at the selling dealership from the stock 14" tires and wheels to 15" Michelins and SenDel wheels, all the hitch settings from the 25FB were the same for the 23D

We use the Classic as our summer home (May to October) at Ponderosa Shadows in Lakeside, AZ. That is an Airstream only park with 40 memberships at 6,800 feet elevation to beat the Phoenix summer heat. We often take the 23D out on short trips during the summer.

I find the Classic is easier to reverse than the 23D due to the longer wheel base of both the truck and the trailer.

Both trailers have been extensively modified to our specifications and we are very happy with both.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote