Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
First Tow Job

Something got me thinking about towing. When wy wife and I decided a trailer was for us,we both knew it would be a AS. Then we knew it would be a CCD. The funny part is I had never towed anything in my life. I did get one 10 minute lesson from Toscano RV and the rest is history. We made the 300 mile trip home and never looked back. On the virgin trip home the police did spare me a ticket for going 70 mph in he fast lane somewhere near Fresno. Like I said it was the first time. Darrell
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Hey Darrell,
Cop was nice...any other brand of trailer... you might have had a ticket..

BTW good thing you proof read your posts...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've worked with a lot of Nam vets in my career. One good friend was telling me about being stopped doing 84 mph with his 5th wheeler near Lake Havasu City. The first half of the stop went by the book. Then the young police officer asked him if he was the "Vietnam Vet" on his Minnesota special plates. That earned him a warning and a salute. My friend said he rarely felt so good!
Attached Images

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Canoe stream ,

Thats a good story .Give me a smile .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Have you ever seen the licence plate frame that says "MEMBER CHP FOUNDATION" that you receive after making a large donation to that organization?

Story has it that the California Highway Patrol will give you a warning instead of a citation.

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Darrell,
Glad to hear your first tow was a breeze. It ain't brain surgery but like anything else, you don't know what you don't know. Come to think of it, I've never operated on a brain, but it can't be that dang hard.
Mark,
I remember those license plate frames very well. I even remember somebody making copies and selling them at the swap meet for 5 bucks. Ohh that pissed my dad off something fierce.....that he didn't think of it.
We never got a ticket. Just a warning and that was only because we didn't have drink holders back then. Our ole truck had a flat spot on the dash meant for maps I guess. Not beer cans.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote