I am looking forward to summer and a trip to the International Rally in Vermont with my 1975 Cadillac convertible towing my 1978 Argosy Minuet.
I am wondering if anyone on the forums has had experience towing with one of these automobiles. I know that it has a 6,000 pound trailer tow rating from the factory. I have had the following done in the past year trying to get it ready:
1. Cleaned or replaced all fuel lines, cleaned the fuel tank, replaced all fuel filters. Installed new high-volume mechanical fuel pump. (the car does not have the optional fuel injection - - it has the 501 cubic inch V8 with quadrajet carburetor)
2. Installed custom, high-capacity 4-row core radiator along with a new heavy duty water pump and rebuilt fan clutch. Added heavy duty transmission oil cooler with 12,000 pound GCVWR.
3. Installed new cargo-coil rear springs along with heavy duty air shocks.
4. Replaced HEI module, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs.
5. Installed new heavy duty Delco Alternator along with a new voltage regulator and coil.
6. Transmission has had its fluid flushed, evacuated, and fresh fluid and filters installed.
7. Installed a custom fabricated class IV receiver hitch, and is now scheduled for installation of the seven wire trailer harness as well as a Hayes Lemerz Electronic pendulum style brake controller. Also acquired a pair of McKesh mirrors to add to the tow package.
9. Front end mechanic has passed all of the front end and steering components, and performed an alignment.
10. For greater comfort when traveling, had the Air Conditioner switched over to the modern refrigerant and added a remote CD changer and modern stereo that uses the original controls and speaker system - - with new speakers.
Am I overlooking any prep work that should be done prior to departure?
I am planning to carry a spare parts kit including: radiator hoses (a replacement for each one), fan belts (a replacement for each one), a thermostat, an HEI ignition module, a heavy duty mechanical fuel pump, a water pump, distributor cap, rotor, voltage regulator, a pair of disc brake calipers (NOS), a set of spark plugs, a transmission service kit (filter and gaskets), 6-oil filters, selection of fuses and bulbs, an exhaust heat riser valve, EGR valve, and PCV valve.
Any suggestions as to other parts that should be added to my parts kit?
Thanks for any input!
P.S. I have owned the car longer than either of my trailers. It wouldn't have been my first choice of tow vehciles, but chose to utilize it since I am very familiar with its history and many quirks. My first choice would have been a 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible with the 472 V8 with its more forgiving rear wheel drive setup.