Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Honda Guy Here

I'm Robert@Honda, and I manage all the social media activity for the Honda Power Equipment Division. I'm active on RV and a number of other power equipment sites, and found this one last week. Don't know squat about Airstreams (except they are very cool) but have lots of resources on power equipment products.

I'm not here to sell anything, and typically will just contribute to existing threads. I don't speak for Honda officially, just happen to work there (see signature) and want to provide full disclosure.

So, fire away with any questions or comments about Honda power equipment (generators, in particular) and/or lawn mowers, snow blowers, garden tillers, string trimmers, general-purpose small Honda engines, and Honda Marine portable outboards and larger marine engines...
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums, Robert...you will be popular here as many of us are devoted Honda Generator fans...nice to have a pro to answer some of the questions that pop up regarding gennies... Now you need an Airstream!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OK, thanks for your presence! There are currently 2 threads open concerning grounding Generators to earth.

What is the scoop, I have always found this confusing....probably should start a new thread wit the appropriate title.

Do your gennies need to be grounded to earth when:
1) sitting on the ground
2) sitting in the back of a truck running
3) any other time

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Good to have you here. I have two Honda EM650 generators and a larger Honda outboard. I'll look forward to your experience/advice.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just signing on here so I can follow this thread.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Same here, curious about the grounding thing.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
Same here, curious about the grounding thing.
Same same,
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Hi robert and welcome. i've heard that the Honda generators don't do well at higher elevations unless you have the the carb adjusted? Well I can tell you I just spent better than a week above 10K in Colorado and mine worked fine.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Robert-Welcome.
I have a question regarding an EU2000 companion. It has been in for the eco throttle service / repair. However, it still pulses when in eco mode. The non-companion EU2000 does not pulse when hooked up dual or single - as does the companion. Your thoughts?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Do your gennies need to be grounded to earth when:
1) sitting on the ground
2) sitting in the back of a truck running
3) any other time
First, I'm not an electrician or an attorney ...

Next, local codes dictate what grounding methods (if any) are required for generator usage. It can be a challenge to find what's legal or not for any given area. The absolute best advice is to *ask a local electrician* who's licensed and has a good working knowledge of the codes and requirements. Typically, most of the rules are regarding generators used in commercial or construction environments, and I've seen scant few that directly apply to RV/camping use.

It's been my experience portable generators under 5,000 watts usually do not need to be grounded when they are only connected to an RV's shore line. The generator can be parked on the ground or in a truck bed (with proper ventilation). That said, all Honda generators have a ground screw/connection that can be used when necessary or required by law. Again, and I can't stress this enough, *ask a local electrician* because they are most likely to have the knowledge of what's genuinely safe and legal.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, Robert, I for one will not be looking for an electrician in every town I visit with my AS. Remember this is an RV forum full of vagabonds.

Honda must have some advice for PORTABLE non-construction users. Most of us here are eu1000, eu2000, eu3000 users. The manual which came with my EU2000I's are moot on the subject of grounding to earth.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We are saving for Honda generator, the forum is full of fans. I keep wishing Honda would offer a full-size van in this country!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Hi robert and welcome. i've heard that the Honda generators don't do well at higher elevations unless you have the the carb adjusted? Well I can tell you I just spent better than a week above 10K in Colorado and mine worked fine.
As the lawyers like to say, "Actual result will vary."

Generally, changing the jet in the carburetor isn't usually needed unless the generator is used above 5,000 feet. The standard jet's opening and reduced oxygen at higher elevations makes the air/fuel ratio too rich. A smaller jet gets the ratio back to the right mix, but it's still typical to still lose about 4% of power for every 1,000 feet of elevation. Just a Fact-of-Life for carburetor-style engines.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Honda must have some advice for PORTABLE non-construction users. Most of us here are eu1000, eu2000, eu3000 users. The manual which came with my EU2000I's are moot on the subject of grounding to earth.
I'm sure there are dozens of legal/liability/risk reason why Honda does not elaborate, but I suspect the key one is there are too many layers of laws, regulations, rules, and codes and there's no possible way Honda could hope to make any recommendations and still be "legal" under all those rules. Since the generators are sold in all 50 states, it's be a daunting challenge to be completely sure any grounding recommendations Honda might make would apply in every single setting. Thus, "consult an electrician" remains the only for-sure way to cover all the bases.

Looking forward, it'd be great if the RV industry as a whole could adopt some standards regarding portable generator connections and grounding (or not). I'm sure Honda would love to participate and contribute, as RV customers are a huge market for Honda generators.

Honda does this already on the motorcycle and auto side of the business. Like all other manufacturers, Honda works closely with Federal and State safety and emissions authorities. Not that we need a US Department of RVs created anytime soon, but surely the RV industry could help establish some safe and sane recommendations.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Robert-Welcome.
I have a question regarding an EU2000 companion. It has been in for the eco throttle service / repair. However, it still pulses when in eco mode. The non-companion EU2000 does not pulse when hooked up dual or single - as does the companion. Your thoughts?
When used in parallel, it's normal for the two units to run a slightly different speeds sometimes. Stand-alone, and Eco-Throttle ON, the engine speed should only change with the load. My gut feeling is maybe some debris or gunk in the low-speed circuit of the carburetor, as it runs smooth at wide-open-throttle (Eco-Throttle OFF). You could try running some fuel system cleaner through the tank; I have heard great things from a product called Sea Foam from many customers. Available at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store.

Next, you can always take it to a Honda dealer for a full inspection and evaluation. If you are within the 3-year warranty period, and it's shown to be a factory defect with the generator, Honda will usually pay for such a warranty repair. It's important to note that debris or gunk in the carburetor is NOT considered a factory defect and is not covered under warranty.

I'm too new a member to post active links (yet) but if you can figure out this text, use this site to find a dealer close to your area:

powerequipment.honda.com/dealerlocator

Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Thanks for contributing. I have ringing endorsements of Honda power equipment. I have a 1986 Honda lawnmower which still runs great and no repairs. I put more thoughts on the safety thread about the direction I'd like to see generators go.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
When used in parallel, it's normal for the two units to run a slightly different speeds sometimes. Stand-alone, and Eco-Throttle ON, the engine speed should only change with the load. My gut feeling is maybe some debris or gunk in the low-speed circuit of the carburetor, as it runs smooth at wide-open-throttle (Eco-Throttle OFF). You could try running some fuel system cleaner through the tank; I have heard great things from a product called Sea Foam from many customers. Available at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store.

Next, you can always take it to a Honda dealer for a full inspection and evaluation. If you are within the 3-year warranty period, and it's shown to be a factory defect with the generator, Honda will usually pay for such a warranty repair. It's important to note that debris or gunk in the carburetor is NOT considered a factory defect and is not covered under warranty.

I'm too new a member to post active links (yet) but if you can figure out this text, use this site to find a dealer close to your area:

powerequipment period honda period com slash dealerlocator
There's probably an easier way, but I:
1)open a new tab in my browser
2)go to the website I want to link
3)right click the address line
4)do a copy
5)return to the thread entry
6) paste the link in the text.