Old 08-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasecrider View Post
Does anyone know the distance from the rear tire to the tongue? trying to figure out how long of a trailer I might need is fit hits the shan and I have to flat bed this puppy home
Do you have a tow vehicle that can handle the Airstream on a trailer?

Check with the local trucking company in your area. This is not for amateurs. It would appear to me that you would want to have the back of the trailer on the trailer first and the tongue on the back side. The low clearance is your FIRST problem. The angle of a large flatbed trailer and getting it onto the flat bed, will transform the trailer into something similar to an Airstream after discovering weak points in the frame.

My neighbor bought an early 1970's Ford Bronco. Never worked or restored a vehicle before, but needed something to keep himself busy. He is still working on it. It is becoming a money pit. It was towed and dropped off at his home after purchase from another State.

Having professionals haul this to your home would be my advice. Jack up each wheel and spin... if possible. If one wheel is unable to turn, ALL are unable to turn. Dragging something on non rotating wheels become... plows.

The tow company will want fresh tires, at least. You do not want to load and unload the trailer with bare wheels, although they would be shot as well. Not good for the tow trailer.

Many believe that the low clearance of the Airstream is a benefit... it will not be if needed to be loaded onto a flat bed triple axle. There will be straps needed to secure this trailer from falling off the flat bed trailer.

This reminds me of my wife wanting a nice red sandstone boulder sticking out of our front yard in the scrub oak. She began to dig. ...and dig. ...and dig. It was the tip of a Hogback, like the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We lived along the Front Range south of Denver... Hog Back country.

This will be you. I know your heart is full of enthusiasm, but be careful of the advice you may be considering. This is a job for professionals who move wrecked school buses that roll on their own.

I maybe nuts, as well... but we all have our limitations. Mine is Common Sense.

I have personally learned many lessons when out junking. If I cannot drive it or tow it on its own... it makes a great flower pot.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing that has not been mentioned so far: What sort of hitch are you planning to use? (assuming it can be towed) Something with WD / anti sway is more than just "a good idea".

One gotcha here: not all trailers are created equal. Some are much more stable than others. Travel trailers (of all sorts) are less stable / harder to tow than utility trailers of the same weight. The reasons are many, but mostly revolve around weight distribution and wind load. What you can get away with is specific to type as well as weight and size.

Combining "no brakes" and "tow on the ball" is a double whammy. At speeds that are legal on an Interstate (there are minimum as well as maximum speed limits), you will have issues. That's true regardless of how big the tow vehicle is.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Kingsburg , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Do you have a tow vehicle that can handle the Airstream on a trailer?

Check with the local trucking company in your area. This is not for amateurs. It would appear to me that you would want to have the back of the trailer on the trailer first and the tongue on the back side. The low clearance is your FIRST problem. The angle of a large flatbed trailer and getting it onto the flat bed, will transform the trailer into something similar to an Airstream after discovering weak points in the frame.

My neighbor bought an early 1970's Ford Bronco. Never worked or restored a vehicle before, but needed something to keep himself busy. He is still working on it. It is becoming a money pit. It was towed and dropped off at his home after purchase from another State.

Having professionals haul this to your home would be my advice. Jack up each wheel and spin... if possible. If one wheel is unable to turn, ALL are unable to turn. Dragging something on non rotating wheels become... plows.

The tow company will want fresh tires, at least. You do not want to load and unload the trailer with bare wheels, although they would be shot as well. Not good for the tow trailer.

Many believe that the low clearance of the Airstream is a benefit... it will not be if needed to be loaded onto a flat bed triple axle. There will be straps needed to secure this trailer from falling off the flat bed trailer.

This reminds me of my wife wanting a nice red sandstone boulder sticking out of our front yard in the scrub oak. She began to dig. ...and dig. ...and dig. It was the tip of a Hogback, like the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We lived along the Front Range south of Denver... Hog Back country.

This will be you. I know your heart is full of enthusiasm, but be careful of the advice you may be considering. This is a job for professionals who move wrecked school buses that roll on their own.

I maybe nuts, as well... but we all have our limitations. Mine is Common Sense.

I have personally learned many lessons when out junking. If I cannot drive it or tow it on its own... it makes a great flower pot.

Were pretty sure our truck can handle the trailer on trailer set up. Were farmers out here in California, not yuppies from LA. So while yes it will be a big rig rollin down the highway, I think we can handle it as well. trailer on trailer is our last resort is everything else fails.

And yes, this thing could definitely turn into a hogback situation, but in my dad words, " you gotta be young, dumb and full of...*** at least once in your life" so oh well if it is.
chasecrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Kingsburg , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing that has not been mentioned so far: What sort of hitch are you planning to use? (assuming it can be towed) Something with WD / anti sway is more than just "a good idea".

One gotcha here: not all trailers are created equal. Some are much more stable than others. Travel trailers (of all sorts) are less stable / harder to tow than utility trailers of the same weight. The reasons are many, but mostly revolve around weight distribution and wind load. What you can get away with is specific to type as well as weight and size.

Combining "no brakes" and "tow on the ball" is a double whammy. At speeds that are legal on an Interstate (there are minimum as well as maximum speed limits), you will have issues. That's true regardless of how big the tow vehicle is.

Bob
In me and my buddies towing careers of over 100K miles around the farms we have never used a WD or SC hitch. granted we havent towed a travel trailer either. We use heavy duty B&W hitches on our trucks and am flying one out to us in WV so we can get the tongue height just right.

I would like to get the brakes working, but with the time given it may not be an option and if we hit the road and it the sway is too bad, well find an RV shop and get a SC hitch for it.

In my mind a lot of stuff has to go right before we get to the point of worrying about how well the trailer tows, we have to get it out of the woods first.

Chase
Old 08-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Sioux falls , South Dakota
West Virginia inspects trailers. Get a West Virginia State inspection for safety before towing. Update your liability insurance.
Sitesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Chase,

I sent you a PM.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasecrider View Post
Okay more questions:

We have a new cummins 3500 so im not terribly worried about brakes (regularly tow 10K+ with no trailer brakes)

Thanks y'all for the advice! be ready for trip updates starting on the 5th
If the truck is brand new be sure to check any break in requirements before towing. I know my truck needed 1,000 miles before towing.
Have fun with the trip. It will be an adventure. I have towed my trailer across the country 8 times and enjoyed every one of the trips.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #36
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I'm in total agreement! The friendship adventure is priceless!
Just wanted to have this posted so you have all the options in print!

Photos along the way or it didn't happen! Have fun!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
In for updates!
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
What they all said plus: wasp spray and beware of snakes this time of year inside there. Extra jack or two, assorted wood blocks, ratchet straps, check the A/C cover to see if it's loose (see lots of those on side of the highway). Go for it. After reading all these, if you're still willing to do it then nothing will come up you can't handle.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
If the floor is rotten around the perimeter, there are still rusty bolts loosely holding the C channel to the frame. Also, on my Overlander at least, the lower front part of the shell is securely attached to a vertical steel plate that is welded to the A frame. I think AS did this as a fail safe to prevent the shell from separating from the frame. The shell may shift a little on the frame but the probability of it coming off is extremely low. Looks like you found very nice trailer. Good luck on your trip home.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
OK, this may be a minority opinion but I'm just going to say it. Towing a 53 year old trailer that has been sitting in a field for 15 years, that has no brakes and is in otherwise highly suspect condition at freeway speeds on the interstate for 2800 miles does, in fact, seem nuts. Adventure with your best buddy notwithstanding. As has already been mentioned, flat bedding your new prize seems like an infinitely better and safer option.

Just MHO and $.02. Regardless, I truly wish you and your friend the best of luck and safe travels.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (inbound)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
I think the both of you w ill be just fine, you seem to have an adequate amount of good ole boys ingenuity. Take cooler full of water and food... and a very important item that has not been mentioned, a shovel and toilet paper. You might be stranded on the side of the road, be prepared.
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Kingsburg , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79nTOW View Post
I think the both of you w ill be just fine, you seem to have an adequate amount of good ole boys ingenuity. Take cooler full of water and food... and a very important item that has not been mentioned, a shovel and toilet paper. You might be stranded on the side of the road, be prepared.
You my friends win the award for the most overlooked road trip necessity. There should be a toilet paper holder in every new vehicle produced.