Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Toilet water is HOT!

We have a 2014 25fb FLying Cloud and will be taking the trailer in soon for some warranty work. However, I have two problems that are baffling me and would like to repair them before my service appointment. Perhaps someone can help.

1) The toilet bowl will not hold water. The seal is not tight enough, although it does close. We have only had the trailer out once this year since de-winterizing and had no choice but to deal with horrible air quality because the lack of seal. Gross would be putting it mildly.

I have done a bit of research on this site and tried removing any paper that may lodged. There is none. And also rubbed mineral oil all along the seal in hopes that would work. It didn't. When the trailer was stored over this winter, I poured antifreeze in the bowl to keep it from drying out. I can't say for sure if there was still liquid in it when it came out of storage. No issues last year at all.

Is it time to replace the seal?! Is this a warranty issue? Any ideas on how to repair it now and keep this from happening again?

2. The water in the toilet is HOT. Very hot. Same with the bathroom sink. But, only when using the freshwater tank. The water is fine when using the city water inlet. When using the tank reservoir, this problem is not happening in the kitchen. So weird, I have no logical explanation for this. Anyone have this problem?

As always, I am thankful for any advice.

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Take a look at your winter bypass plumbing.

Figure it out….what it does…how it works.

I am wondering that if the valves are not in the correct position, that it could cause that problem.

If it were just the sink, I would guess that the hot and cold supply lines were switched. The toilet is usually tied into the cold supply line to the lav sink.

Or it could be that Jackson really messed up.Has there been any work done to the plumbing ?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
There has been no work done to the plumbing since taking delivery on the trailer last May. It was fine all last summer.

While figuring it out is certainly good advice, I must say, that is why I am here. For those of you that are blessed with good mechanical skills, consider yourself lucky! I, on the other hand am still up to my eyeballs with gaining confidence simply with towing. Picking up a new RV for the first time can be overwhelming and while I eagerly plan to learn as I go, I have zero plumbing skills. And would prefer to get some sound advice before proceeding.

Any thoughts on the toilet seal?

I will look at the bypass valve. Off to find the manual....

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Just mulling in my aged head.....

......wouldn't the bypass valves effect all outlets?

As stated, could be that just the bathroom lines are switched. The hot water may have damaged the seals.

Our toilet failed to hold over this past winter also. I replaced the assembly with one from Amazon....it leaked also.
I called Thetford to inquire why, and if the antifreeze in the bowl over the Winter could have caused the OEM to start leaking after 10yrs. The said they doubted the A-freeze caused it, but to use a 'name' brand just to be on the safe side, (walmart stuff used last Fall).

Emailed the A-zon receipt, Thetford sent a new assembly, two day arrival, no questions asked, excellent CS.

Wasn't krazy about removing the toilet for the second time so.....

...... I coated the leaking seal & slider in the first replacement with dielectric sillycone grease. It slowed the leak dramatically and has been in use since, maybe the seal just has to soften a bit, who knows the date of manufacture...holding the spare just in case.

FWIW......olive oil in the toilet of our 63 Safari may have helped it's survival.

The by-pass valve setting...

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Carrie, Sorry

It's hard to diagnose stuff without seeing it. Wish I could have been more helpful.

With that being said….Here is the reality

You are going to become part plumber/electrician/mechanic. It will take time, the forum will help, and you'll enjoy it. It's just what happens when you have an RV.

You will have problems, they will get sorted out….And when someone else has the same problem YOU will be a hero to someone.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When we winterize, we cover the toilet bowl with plastic wrap after pouring in antifreeze. No worries about it disappearing over the winter that way.
Doesn't help you right now... Bite the bullet and replace the toilet seal. Chris says should take about a half hour.
There may be a mixing valve on the water heater to temper down the hot water. If it failed, hot water may be getting into the cold line. Not sure why it would be happening in the bathroom and not also in the kitchen (Chris dictated this part).

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just had an off the wall thought. The only way I can see warm/hot water entering the commode direct from the fresh water tank is that possibly the tank heater is on. I do not even know if the heating element would even get the water hot enough to be considered hot. I know that this does not explain warm in one fixture but not warm in another. Just spit balling ideas. With our current ambient temps in the high 90's the water coming out of house taps is quite warm, normally it is cool.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yet another off the wall idea.

People sometimes just look for one problem. It might be contributing factors.

For the sake of argument. Water comes out of the ground cold. ( + or - 55 )

Water sitting in pipes, in the summer could reach 80 or 90 degrees. So you flush the toilet and hot water from the pipes fill the bowl. Then you wash your hands in the sink. More hot water comes out of the faucet. When you go check the kitchen sink, the hot water sitting in the pipes has been replaced by cool water from the fresh tank.

So is the water going into the toilet VERY warm, or almost ouch hot ? Can you check the lav sink again after you have checked the kitchen sink.

Sorry I know this is a long shot, but this is very perplexing. Please let us know what happens with this mystery.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Michael might be correct. That would explain why shore water was not affected and tank water was, especially of the tank is low on volume.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Terlingua , Texas
Sounds like a warranty issue since you are taking in for other warranty work. Get the dealer to make it right. Good luck!
sbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
When we traveled out west three years ago, temps were in the 90's. We also noticed that our water was warm when we were not connected to city water, IE...Walmart overnight stay. My guess is that with the ground temps being well over 100 degrees, the ground heated the fresh water tank in our 34' SO, being that it does sit so low to the ground. As for your toilet issue if you had no problem last year I would say that your winterization process needs adjustment. Probably the anti-freeze.
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Makes me wonder why you're sticking you hand in the toilet water to check the temp. ; )
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Makes me wonder why you're sticking you hand in the toilet water to check the temp. ; )
It could just be the steam rising out of the commode!

Hopefully they will find what is wrong. I know what you mean about not knowing plumbing. Last spring I wrung a leak at the shower valve.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It might be comfortable in the winter months when it is cold
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
I as wondering the same thing, but thought it might come under TMI.😜

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I as wondering the same thing, but thought it might come under TMI.😜
Maybe it's the sensation you get while sitting & flushing....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The bathroom lavatory cold faucet in my trailer runs hot for a minute, then cools down. I think it because the piping is next to the water heater or next the outside wall of the trailer on a really hot day. The piping I think is picking up ambient heat because it is next to hot water piping. I have not noticed the toilet water being hot, but it I guess it could be for the same reasons the lavatory cold water runs hot. I don't notice it so much when it is cold outside.
I have also noticed the cold water taps in the house run hot on a hot day, sometimes for a moment, sometimes indefinitely. It is so hot lately, the ground is hot- heating up the pipes in the ground.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The bathroom lavatory cold faucet in my trailer runs hot for a minute, then cools down. I think it because the piping is next to the water heater or next the outside wall of the trailer on a really hot day. The piping I think is picking up ambient heat because it is next to hot water piping. I have not noticed the toilet water being hot, but it I guess it could be for the same reasons the lavatory cold water runs hot. I don't notice it so much when it is cold outside.

I have also noticed the cold water taps in the house run hot on a hot day, sometimes for a moment, sometimes indefinitely. It is so hot lately, the ground is hot- heating up the pipes in the ground.

This was my initial thought. Obviously if you let the water in the bathroom run for a little while you could test this theory. Or wait till winter to stick your hand in the toilet. ; )
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
There has never been any mods. or work done except change furnace, water pump and convertor as I have owned this 1976 AS since pur. new. 3 yrs. ago in my 76 AS the toilet water runs hot and winterterize bypass kit valves are in proper position. I never change position of them as I don't winterize trailer. The spray hose for toilet also runs hot water, I haven't fig. out yet but still trying. If some else also has had this prob. and solved. post so I can see if I missed any thing. This not caused by ground or out side temps. causing water to be hot. Water will run cold for while then gets hot. All other faucets okay.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As someone mentioned earlier, are the tank heaters on?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote