Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Montreal , Quebec
Refresh of the 1975 argosy bathroom.

allo

Its time to refresh the argosy bathroom, and at the same time replace the rotted floor The plan is to repaint the tub and sink... but firt i must remove the toilet and tank but dont quite know how, can anybody h e l p ? I attached two photo's sowing were im at, but i can not remove these two part's, afraded i might break(crack) the black water tank beneath the toilet....

Merci Thank'S )

___ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy-toilet.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	241534  
rbn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Others will weigh in, but here's my take. The toilet flange should be held in by screws going through it to the tank. You should be able to unscrew each and then carefully pry out the flange. It may take some work as it may have been installed with a sealant like Vulkem or something - at the very least it will be pretty well adhered due to the age of it. You'll know as you work it. Be careful because if you crack or split the tank it's toast. On the other hand, why do you want to remove it?
As for the ABS (it's not PVC if it's black, and there's a difference) vent pipe, cut it off a few inches above the tank - you can re-couple it as needed using PVC solvent and a coupling of appropriate size. You can also use a Fernco coupler, it may be easier to fit back on and works well.
In order to remove the tank you'll also need to remove some of the belly pan and work from below - you've got the drain pipe and valve to remove and all that's involved with that. The drain pipe is more than likely ABS, and it's easy to work with. I replaced my old slide valve at the base of the tank with a new Valterra one that works well.

Good luck
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Went through this with my 76 Argosy 26. The flange is threaded on to the tank . There are two small slots on the black portion . I used two long slotted screwdrivers forming an "X" to work against each other to spin it off . Slow going . I have heard of others making a tool . They took a piece of angle iron drilled two holes the same distance as the slots. Added nuts and bolts and used the exposed bolt threads as pins that match the slot spacing. As for the pvc pipe , I just cut it and reassembled with sleeve coupler and cement or the rubber type sleeves with the band clamps attatched.
Hope this helps.

Also if installing new toilet, you wil need a different flange than your present version.
Vintage trailer supply has the newer style.
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Subscribing to see how you do it - good luck!!!
Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #5

2008 19' Bambi
Ste-Julie , Quebec
Toilette - Argosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbn9 View Post
allo

Its time to refresh the argosy bathroom, and at the same time replace the rotted floor The plan is to repaint the tub and sink... but firt i must remove the toilet and tank but dont quite know how, can anybody h e l p ? I attached two photo's sowing were im at, but i can not remove these two part's, afraded i might break(crack) the black water tank beneath the toilet....

Merci Thank'S )

___ron
J'ai une Argosy 24'' 1976 et je viens de rénover au complet la toilette. J'ai réussit à enlever le "closer ring slot" noire visser à la baque orange avec de l'huile pénétrante (style Liquid Wrench). Il se dévisse.

Pour le bain, le lavabo et le panneau de douche, j'ai trouver chez Rona St-Bruno (seulement) de la peinture epoxy(2 composantes) pour bain. J'ai d'abord réparer les trois items avec du plastique à carrosserie ("putter") et sablé (longtemsp!!!) avec du 180 et fini au 400. Si on applique plus de 4 couches par temps chaud, le fini est presque l'équivalent qu'à l'usine (sans éraillures ni "pelure d'orange"). Donne une allure neuve et moderne.

Pour le cabinet d'aisance, j'en ai pas trouvé des nouveaux qui faisait. J'ai refait la base en plastic stratifié de façon à créer une petite tablette qui ressort en porte-à-faux là ou est le bol de toilette. Ça fait jolie. En passant, j'ai des pièce en trop si cela peut vous être utile: la cuisinière au gaz pour les pièces, un frigo qui marchait mais pas assez pour congeler, un fauteuil lit fonctionnel avec les coussins, une table pliante. Ma roulotte est à St-Hubert si vous voulez la voir ... si vous voulez quelques idées pour la moderniseret éviter les nombreuses erreurs que j'ai fait... jlgatien@videotron.ca
jlgatien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
In English, courtesy of Google Translate:

Argosy I have a 24 '' in 1976 and have just renovated full toilet. I managed to remove the "closer ring slot" black screw orange baque with penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench style). He unscrews.

Bath, wash basin and shower panel, I find at Rona St-Bruno (only) of the epoxy paint (2 components) for bath. I first repair the three items with plastic body ("putter") and sandblasted (longtemsp !!!) with 180 and finished at 400. If we apply more than 4 coats in hot weather, the finish is almost equivalent to the plant (without scuffing or "orange peel"). Gives a new and modern look.

For the lavatory, I have not found that was new. I redid the laminated plastic base so as to create a small tablet that spring cantilever or there is the toilet bowl. It's pretty. By the way, I have too much room though this may be useful: the gas stove for parts, a fridge that worked, but not enough to freeze a functional bed chair with cushions, folding table. My trailer is in St-Hubert if you want to see ... if you want some ideas for moderniseret avoid the many mistakes I made
Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
For the toilet flange, I was able to grab tight on two sides reaching through it and twist it by hand.
Then the plastic housing over it will have to come up. Then you'll have to go under the trailer and drop the pan suppurating the grey water tank so you can disconnect the black water tank at the discharge valve. Unscrewing the 2 halves of the discharge valve is the easiest way to get it separate from the rest of the drain pipe. You'll have to disconnect the tank from the vent. Easiest to gently and cleanly cut it above the floor with a hack saw, you can put it back together with a fernco/mission clamp as mentioned. The black tank then lifts to the inside, it sits on top if the floor.
Just be gentle and take it slow.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Montreal , Quebec
Thank's for all the help... wow this is the best forum ever ) starting my vacations on friday yess, that means back to the argosy AKA "lynda" will kep u posted with some photo's on the reno....

merci jlgatien pour tes conseils, c'est très apprécié. Crois-tu que de la peinture krylon pour pvc fonctionnerait pour refaire la surface du bain. Nous avons utilisé ce produit pour refaire les poignées de toutes les portes d'armoires et elles sont comme neuves. Ça a vraiment bien fonctionné. L'epoxy semble un gros contrat! Je vous en redonne des nouvelles.

thank's merci

_______ron
rbn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
FYI, if you decide to take out the shower pan you may have to cut the pipe under the drain to get it out. Might get lucky at the p trap though. Mine was solvent welded from the pipe to the threads on the bottom of the drain. It was the only way to get it out.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote