Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
leaking fitting?

Hey all,

I have a leaking fitting in the trunk of my '78 Sov rear bath.

It sprays water from the top when connected to a shore water hookup and no faucets in the trailer are on. Turning on the faucets stops the leak.

It is located between the red drain valves on the side of the shoreline water connection
It looks almost as if this was a frost relief valve before, but the top is missing. Anybody know what it is and where to get a replacement or repair?

Photos coming... Figuring out how to post them...
Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Photos

Here's a photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	240092  
Old 06-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
pressure relief valve

pressure relief valve.

Mine is marked 75 psi. I have similar leak...only leaks (out bottom drain tube) when pump is on or city water pressure turned on.

Replaceable. Also seeking solutions.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
I doubt my house hose at half open is pushing the pressure limits of the plumbing - I suspect I'm getting a replacement!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
I doubt any Canadian home water system presses the limit, eh? Lucky to have flow....Q=VA.

No idea why the top cap is gone. I suspect your relief valve needs replacing...soon. Not too bad a job if you can see it and access it.

DIY shop may have similar for home water heater use.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Hahaha Half the year it's frozen

I ended up removing the relief valve and putting in a copper coupling in place. To maintain protection for my plumbing, I got an inline relief valve made for RVs that attaches to the end of the garden hose before the trailer inlet.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
That's a great fix. I want one.

Mine never leaked until I parked it in Alaska for 2 winters....learned a lot about
what freezing does to things.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Euless , Texas
I have the same AS and pressure relief valve as pictured by Mikeyman. When I turn on the city water the pressure relief valve drain line that exits bottom of trailer runs a steady strong flow of water on the ground. Is this a faulty pressure relief valve or a faulty internal water pressure regulator mounted just above and to the rear of the pressure relief valve? Has anyone actually removed the pressure relief valve? It doesn't appear to be very accessible.
rbcarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Euless , Texas
Mikeyman, you stated that you removed the pressure relief valve and replaced it with an inline pressure relief valve made for RVs. It sounds like you may have installed a pressure regulator, not a pressure relief valve. If so, on the 78 AS 31' rear bath a pressure regulator already exists just above and to the rear of the pressure relief valve.
rbcarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Rbcarbo, it sounds like your relief valve has failed.

If I understand it, the relief in the trailer that I removed and is pictured above, will open at 125psi (or sooner, if the spring is tired or the device has failed).

I removed mine because it was failed - I was getting water spray out the top.

You are correct, there is a regulator above.

Without that relief valve, I didn't want to chance busting any pipes. I've read many people saying that the relief valve isn't really necessary, some trailers don't have them, some people won't plug in water without one.

At the end of the day I decided to remove the relief valve completely and to buy an in-line regulator that keeps water pressure between 40-50psi BEFORE it even gets to my trailer plumbing, just in case. I'm also cautious about how quickly I open the taps, because I've heard tell of some camp sites with 140psi or more...

For what it's worth, it is not easy to get at, but not impossible. The easiest way to get to that area is to remove the toilet and access it from the metal grate inside the trailer.

Hope that helps.
Mike