Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I put Pex in two trailers over the last couple of years. I used all brass fittings and crimp rings, not even a hint of a leak.

The second trailer only took me about a day to replace all of the very freeze damaged copper.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you can flex the PEX and get it to leak. The installation was not done correctly.
One advantage of many that PEX has over copper. It does NOT require flame to make repairs. If needed.
Another advantage. You can bend it around curved surfaces. Eliminating the need for additional fittings.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Good stuff- this is good feedback I need. Keep your comments coming- for or against one or the other please!

Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Good stuff- this is good feedback I need. Keep your comments coming- for or against one or the other please!

Keep the stories coming!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I used to remodel and build homes on the side, when PEX came out - dating here, all of us were concerned about it being plastic. Then I got into the vinyl plastics business and had my eyes opened. PEX or competitive type products are the way to go. Re-did our daughters bathroom in her house - all PEX. Easy quick and if done properly will not cause any problems. Four years now and no problems except for an old cast iron drain pipe which we went back in and re-did with plastic.

Our new 2015 is ALL Pex or ABS, drains are not under pressure so they use the cheaper product, not an issue in my opinion.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
PEX is slowly becoming the standard for homes and business plumbing. If it's installed right it seems ok. In a mobile unit it's the only thing that makes sense, provided it's installed right. It needs to be routed and properly supported to prevent chafing and excessive movement.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California

Good question!
Because of the obvious reasons stated above we went with PEX on our rebuild on the 64. However there are serious questions about PEX, like exposure to sun light, chlorine deterioration, leaching chemicals, etc.
Here is an article that may shed some light on the subject.
How Safe is PEX Tubing? |
Weighing the pros and cons

"As with most building materials today, it's not easy to determine the relative merits of copper and PEX for domestic water supply," writes Robert Riversong. "There are significant benefits and liabilities, including deleterious health impacts of both."
Here's a paraphrase of Riversong's advice: Copper should be soldered with lead-free solder, but soldering flux is not only toxic but also corrosive to copper. Copper is vulnerable to corrosion and pin hole leaks. Water turbulence in copper lines can increase the amount of dissolved lead and copper in the water, especially when the pH is less than 6.5.
When acidic or soft water sits in the line for more than six hours, the line should be flushed for up to 60 seconds before the water is used for drinking or cooking. And in these conditions, hot water should never be used for cooking or drinking.
PEX, on the other hand, is resistant to acids, better at resisting freezing damage, and doesn't scale or corrode. It's been used in Europe since the 1960s, and even "plastic-phobic" California embraced PEX.
One Achilles' heel with PEX, Riversong reports, it is chlorine resistance. "Even short-term exposure to sunlight can dramatically reduce the resistance of PEX to chlorine and result in premature rupture of the pipe," he writes. "Studies show just a one-week exposure to sunlight may reduce the chlorine resistance lifetime of some PEX pipes by half; with a two week exposure completely depleting PEX of any chlorine resistance.
"California’s January 2009 approval of PEX relies upon the less-protective PEX chlorine resistance standard ASTM F2023, instead of the much superior NSF P171 standard," he says. "ASTM F2023 only assures an adjusted lifetime of 25 years, while the NSF P171 standard assures a 40 year adjusted lifetime."
PEX can't be melted and resued, an environmental drawback, and it produces toxic smoke when it burns. More troubling, the California lawsuit alleged PEX could indeed leach certain chemicals, including methyl tertiary-butyl ether (the MTBE referred to in the original post) along with ETBE, a related chemical, Riversong says.
- See more at: How Safe is PEX Tubing? |
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
Site Team
, Minnesota
I vote with Kevin. If copper were free I would still use Pex.
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
I am finally going to start the replumb on my Argosy this week (life happened and she wound up sitting for the past 3 years with no work being done) PEX all the way. I will use 1/2" (original copper was 1/2") and make dedicated runs to each fixture (no splicing of lines) using manifolds for hot and cold supply. I will use crimp rings as well.
All that is gold does not always glitter...those who wander not always are lost....
mnmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
IMHO & most in industry pex is superior. It has been extensively tested & used for years. Crimp ftgs are preferred but I have used a lot of sharkbite without problems. It's easy to use, you don't have to hit holes perfectly, resists cold, cost effective (when clamped, Sharkbite gets pricey). I did my whole house & MOHO & use it at work. I clamp & add sharkbite where it will be handy to take apart. ! shortcoming- Don't expose (except shortly) to sunlight. No outside use. UV rays attack PVC& can make it brittle.
garypk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado

I am a contractor and have been in the business for more than 20 years. Pex is definitely the way to go. Pex has virtually replaced all other plastic pipe (PVC is now mostly used for drain applications).

I love copper but Pex is what you need for this application. First, Pex is almost freeze proof - copper is not. Second, copper is very expensive; Pex hose is relatively cheap (only the fittings are bit a expensive). Third, Pex is flexible and can be bent and shaped; copper cannot and must be cut to fit or shaped to fit around things or obstacles. Copper will require careful measuring, fitting, cleaning, and soldering... again, not a problem if you are good at it. But this is time consuming and tedious. With Pex, you simply measure, cut, insert the fitting, and crimp closed. And when done properly, the fitting will never come loose. Pex also resists vibration better than copper does. And if your copper line should spring a leak, you will need to use a coupler to solder a splice into your line. Pex is easier and faster and will not require the number of tools you will need to fix your copper. That's why everyone in the industry to changing over to it.

Good luck with your resto...
MtnCamper07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #26
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Great write up. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
PEX for sure. As good as copper is there's not even a race here. GO PEX and never look back.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Another vote for PEX. Have replaced copper with PEX in two vintage trailers. I used Sharkbite for the first one (no leaks but $$ and hard to remove). I used Sea Tech for the second one (no leaks, less $$, removable without tools).

BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote