Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Pex or copper on shell off resto?

Ok, so I'm reading all these threads on Pex, and sounds like everyone loves it for retrofitting, due to more cost effective and ease of assembly. I understand manufacturing has gone to pex- I assume for these same reasons. I just read that homebuilders are even moving to pex.

That said, Manufacturing and Building are not usually known for using the "best" product, but rather the cheapest and easiest.

I look at all the Pex and all I see is plastic waiting to get brittle, kinked, sliced, chewed, poked by a screw.... and mechanical crimp fittings waiting to leak. My copper was in the coach 38 years- how long as Pex been around, and what will be the next latest and greatest product when Pex becomes obsolete?

My question is... If cost or assembly is no an issue, isnt copper better? The LPG lines are all copper- if "movement and rattling down the road" were an issue with copper, why fill it with flammable gas? Why isnt Pex used for LPG?

I have an empty shell with plenty of room to do what I need. I've put in SOOOOO much more work than I ever planned on my coach, and I want to put in the best product I can so I dont have to mess with it later.

I cant see cost being an issue- its only a 27 foot trailer. A hundred bucks or 2 at this point is a drop in the bucket.

Commets please? Would love to hear both sides of this.

Thanks!
Mic
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"What would Wally do?"
If Pex had been around when he was building Airstreams I would bet that he would of used Pex. Personally I would if rebuilding an old trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
There are brands brands and qualities of PEX.

Viega is the brand I use. I think it is the best. If copper makes you happy, go with it.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Hi Mic,

Freezing pipes are a concern for us northerners
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Another vote for PEX. I used it when redoing my Bambi II and plan to do the same in my FC. Copper solder joints are better suited to stationary locations in my opinion and copper is also not very freeze tolerant compared with PEX.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
I plan on using PEX in my Airstream because, as others have stated, it is more freeze tolerant than copper for water lines. Freezing is not really an issue with propane lines because propane is a gas and occupies less volume as it cools (Charles Law). Water expands when it freezes wreaking havoc on copper lines. Proper freezing weather precautions and winterization are still necessary, of course, but I'm going with PEX for the extra peace of mind.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
What is used in a new AS? Just curious!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I have a 2009 27'FB and it uses plastic pipe throughout. I suspect it's more of an economic issues than anything else. Cheaper to buy, less labor cost to install.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I've used PEX (Home Depot Shark Bite) on my re-plumb throughout, and just love it! Really easy to use, it lays very flat against the curves, never kinks, you cut the hose with a utility knife, fittings are re-usable, what's not to love?

I'll take modern plastic over metal any day... when it comes to things like water or tankage. You couldn't pay me to put a metal tank in.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Pex or copper on shell off resto?

If cost were no object I would still use pex as it is much more forgiving when subjected to freezing. Easier to install too IMO. I've run miles of both.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

Pex throughout the new Airstreams.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Santa Ana , California
Pex vs. Copper

My 2014 FC is in the shop right now fixing a very slow water leak behind the cabinetry in the kitchen sink and behind the heater assy. I can also flex the PEX connections visible below the sink and get water seepage. Yes everything is going to PEX. And yes to my 67 year old mind, I wouldn't trade copper for anything. Cost for a few short lines in a trailer is nothing. If you're doing the labor, then it's free and fun besides. I wished I had copper piping in my Airstream. "The harder right vs. the easier wrong." For what it's worth.
photobug47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Pageland , South Carolina
My Safari will get PEX with brass fittings. Pex is the technology that replaced the old failure prone polybutylene. It has proven to be a very reliable system when install correctly. BTW, a similar variant of Poly Ethylene pipe is used for gas line, but only underground. (Gas code thing).
rivetsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Great posts. Any more opinions for or against Pex or Copper?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I put Pex in two trailers over the last couple of years. I used all brass fittings and crimp rings, not even a hint of a leak.

The second trailer only took me about a day to replace all of the very freeze damaged copper.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you can flex the PEX and get it to leak. The installation was not done correctly.
One advantage of many that PEX has over copper. It does NOT require flame to make repairs. If needed.
Another advantage. You can bend it around curved surfaces. Eliminating the need for additional fittings.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Good stuff- this is good feedback I need. Keep your comments coming- for or against one or the other please!

Thanks!
Mic
Old 02-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Good stuff- this is good feedback I need. Keep your comments coming- for or against one or the other please!

Thanks!
Mic
Keep the stories coming!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I used to remodel and build homes on the side, when PEX came out - dating here, all of us were concerned about it being plastic. Then I got into the vinyl plastics business and had my eyes opened. PEX or competitive type products are the way to go. Re-did our daughters bathroom in her house - all PEX. Easy quick and if done properly will not cause any problems. Four years now and no problems except for an old cast iron drain pipe which we went back in and re-did with plastic.

Our new 2015 is ALL Pex or ABS, drains are not under pressure so they use the cheaper product, not an issue in my opinion.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
PEX is slowly becoming the standard for homes and business plumbing. If it's installed right it seems ok. In a mobile unit it's the only thing that makes sense, provided it's installed right. It needs to be routed and properly supported to prevent chafing and excessive movement.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote