Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
We are currently restoring a '57 Overlander. My grandma *constantly* says to me: "So by the time you get done, you could've just bought a new one, right?" Ummm. Not hardly.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have come to the conclusion that if you plan to use it every week an Airstream is the only way to go.
One year of nearly trouble free constant use.
The only issue I have is moisture inside the running lights.
I am looking at a tentative September 2014 to Jackson Center for a repair and a factory tour.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post
We are currently restoring a '57 Overlander. My grandma *constantly* says to me: "So by the time you get done, you could've just bought a new one, right?" Ummm. Not hardly.
Yea your totally right. When I'm done ill have over $10,000 in my trailer that cost me $3000 when I bought it. But it will be practically new, given a whole mess of "beauty marks" on the shell. Still that is a bargain compared to the new sticker price.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #144
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I may try the following in response to the "cost" question:

"It's really hard to quote an exact figure given the daily fluctuation in the price of aluminum."

"I don't really know. I won it in the Price is Right by bidding $1. Evidently, the other contestants overbid. Me? I'm just glad I passed on the first showcase, because really... who uses a Sauna anymore?"

"I could tell you and you might think the cost was high...but then again...my high might be your low. Or your high might be my low. That would make your high... well... low. So really...how can we truly know anything? Life is uncertain"

"Well, I long ago abandoned using money and now rely exclusively on the barter system. So yeah, it cost me every single piece in my three thousand Beanie Babies collection... but I'm still thinking "Hey! I got the better deal!"
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That second to last one is amazing!!! Hahahahaha

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Thanks Pharm; in fairness, it wasn't original to me.

On the "you could have bought a fifth wheel for that price", thinking about:

"Well, I priced a fifth wheel with the aluminum skin upgrade, and wouldn't you guess: it was twice what I paid for the AS. I had better uses for that money...like buying my tow vehicle."

"I actually tried to order a fifth wheel, but when I asked them to delete the formaldehyde, slide outs, and overhanging bedroom, it worked out to the same cost as the AS."

"The only problem with the fifth wheel is that I can't tow it with my minivan" [Works only in Canada]
Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Hahaha - the aluminum skin was great!!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #148
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
A fellow gave me a tour of his 5th wheel and I must say I kind of liked it. One slide out that was not necessary to slide out to use the trailer and also had a couple of nice recliners I liked. Actually seemed a little more homey then my stream. It was 5 years old and he already has had problems that perhaps I will never see on my stream. Two broken springs and a handful of little problems. He felt that I made a better choice but he had a few features that I really liked.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm quite sure people have a blast in the 5th wheels

We looked at them and my wife was too smitten by AS

Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #150
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
We visited an AS "dealer" in Langley BC when we were shopping; I use finger quotes because they had all of one tiny Bambi in their AS stock, but probably 100 various trailers including fifth wheels.

Dealer obviously tried pushing us to a fifth wheel in his inventory, and we looked to see what we could have gotten for what an AS cost. Basically, space, and lots of it. However, a few things stood out.

• The off-gas smells in the trailers were stifling. Couldn't stand more than 10min in one. I know this gets better with time, but it was a deal killer for the missus. No such smells in the AS.
  • All the trailers were very dark inside, not nearly as light as the AS. What an AS lacks in space, it makes up for with light, which gives it a far more open and spacious feel than the floor plan would suggest.
  • The build materials had a cheaper feel to them, and most designs ands textures were stuck in the nineties. These fifth wheel guys really need better interior designers.
  • The added space seemed poorly utilized. This is where the AS shines and uses its space much more intelligently.
  • The goal seemed to be to replicate your house at limited scale. Fireplaces, massive recliners, huge big screens, enormous kitchens, even washer dryers.
In contrast, the AS seemed more about creating an inviting environment to explore and enjoy the outdoors. My wife being an architect and designer was just smitten with how well the AS used its limited footprint and its windows and light to create engagement.

When we just sat for a while in both the fifth wheel and later the larger AS, one felt serene and right and the other felt like a trailer. The space in a fifth wheel is sure nice, especially factoring in a family of four, pets, and guests. But not a place that felt just right for us.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #151
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Aluminitis

Once you have caught the Aluminitis bug it is hard to get excited about anything else. If you don't catch it, I am sure you can find something for less money. I am flirting with a 24' Leisure Van Unity.....but, alas, it is not aluminum.....we like all the thumbs up we get on the road and the people who are curious about our trailer.....polished so it looks new but it is really old...I guess you might call it psychic income....
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post

• The off-gas smells in the trailers were stifling. Couldn't stand more than 10min in one. I know this gets better with time, but it was a deal killer for the missus. No such smells in the AS.
  • All the trailers were very dark inside, not nearly as light as the AS. What an AS lacks in space, it makes up for with light, which gives it a far more open and spacious feel than the floor plan would suggest.
  • The build materials had a cheaper feel to them, and most designs ands textures were stuck in the nineties. These fifth wheel guys really need better interior designers.
  • The added space seemed poorly utilized. This is where the AS shines and uses its space much more intelligently.
  • The goal seemed to be to replicate your house at limited scale. Fireplaces, massive recliners, huge big screens, enormous kitchens, even washer dryers.
In contrast, the AS seemed more about creating an inviting environment to explore and enjoy the outdoors. My wife being an architect and designer was just smitten with how well the AS used its limited footprint and its windows and light to create engagement.

I so agree with you. I remember visiting an RV show here in Toronto, I couldn't stand the smell in the SOB units. It was just awful. The materials looked cheap and the interior looked like my grandma's house, without the charm.

I always say that there's two schools of thought. One looks at a trailer as luxurious camping, the other as a mobile house. We are in the first camp.

I still boil water for morning coffee in a ghillie kettle instead of on the stove, just for the wood burning fun of it. We cook outside whenever possible.
We don't carry a microwave or a TV with us, instead preferring to sit under the stars and talk to each other - or just have a drink and enjoy the silence. That's not meant to be a judgment of people with different priorities, just what works for us.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #153
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The added space seemed poorly utilized. This is where the AS shines and uses its space much more intelligently.

This is part of the cost, that the design is efficient. Rarely done well on "gut and restore" DIY A/S trailers (compromises). Came across a quote by a latter day manager of Silver Streak to the effect (evident pride) that the company was unparalelled in cutting weight and adding the most usable storage (paraphrased). This was one of the distinguishing features of that upmarket brand. Streamline was highly impressive in this, too.

Folks seem to buy a trailer based on how they feel when they walk inside. The test is really how well it works (as noted above) when one is seated and looking around, IMO. The proportion of window square inches against floor square footage is that beginning.

The roadgoing hazards of a 5'er (poor performance in winds, and sensitivity to tripping hazards) dictate their use for long periods at one location or another versus being roadgoing creatures in the full sense of that.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #154
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I tow with a 2011 F-150 Screw and heard more than once "that's exactly the rig I would have!" And when others say "I wish I could afford an AS, I just say I wish I could too. Let them think about that.
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If someone can afford a 3/4 ton diesel pickup and a 5th wheel surely they could afford an Airstream. That just don't make no sense.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
We visited an AS "dealer" in Langley BC when we were shopping; I use finger quotes because they had all of one tiny Bambi in their AS stock, but probably 100 various trailers including fifth wheels.

Dealer obviously tried pushing us to a fifth wheel in his inventory, and we looked to see what we could have gotten for what an AS cost. Basically, space, and lots of it. However, a few things stood out.

When we just sat for a while in both the fifth wheel and later the larger AS, one felt serene and right and the other felt like a trailer. The space in a fifth wheel is sure nice, especially factoring in a family of four, pets, and guests. But not a place that felt just right for us.
Agree with everything here. Most of the SWBs have a few small windows. Very claustrophobic.

I have no regrets about purchasing the AS. (And it is reinforced everytime I see a SWB. During one of my recent trips, I was surrounded by over 90 of them.) Some of the 5th wheels do indeed have a very inviting living space, but they are also huge. The AS looks kinda squat beside one, but I am grateful for the manageable size.

BTW, I bought my AS from the dealer you mentioned. They have more Airstreams in stock now. I believe they have opened another dealership in the Okanagan, and carry/service Airstreams there too.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Once you have caught the Aluminitis bug it is hard to get excited about anything else. If you don't catch it, I am sure you can find something for less money. I am flirting with a 24' Leisure Van Unity.....but, alas, it is not aluminum.....we like all the thumbs up we get on the road and the people who are curious about our trailer.....polished so it looks new but it is really old...I guess you might call it psychic income....
We bought Unity TB model in August and I would encourage the people at Thor to purchase one if for no other reason than to check out the quality construction, materials and creative design aspects. Our AS will be used for setting up a single stay camp while the Unity is used for touring. Made in Canada by Menonites, this is a great RV and the only glitch so far is the electric awning motor.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Of course within the AS folks I hear cries of "with that much I could have bought 3 vintage trailers"

Old 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
And that would be great if you had time to update/renovate.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why would anyone want 3 campers?
TAC #MS-10