Old 05-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Last fall we sold our 30 foot SOB for our current 25SS Safari. Ideally I would have liked something in the 27-28 foot range for the larger bed size, but there's not many available used in that range outfitted the way we wanted.

There are the new FB units in the 25-27 foot range but we couldn't afford new. Our local dealer has scads of used 30 footers on the lot. Seems to me the current trend in the Airstream market is 25-27' -- exactly the size you're looking at.

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I was looking for a shorter trailer than the 1977 31' rear bathroom I had. It seemed that the used trailers with a rear bedroom/side bath started with the 25' length and the model 1985 model year. The 1986 rear corner/side bath was just right for me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
all you guys (and gales, sorry) "looking"... There sure are a lot of you "looking" I believe one does not "look", I believe they find you. I believe serendipity has to come into play. Kharma baby...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #18
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
all you guys (and gales, sorry) "looking"... There sure are a lot of you "looking" I believe one does not "look", I believe they find you. I believe serendipity has to come into play. Kharma baby...
This was very true in my case. After months of looking and looking and one very frustrating 1800 mile trip, I get a PM from a member who tells me that he is going to sell his TW in a few months, am I interested? The rest is history.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Several issues here:

seems like 25' has been popular for some years, so there are a goodly number on the used market (at least until I started to look - then whooosh! they all disappeared and I wound up with at 23', which fits me just fine);

there are many sites where longer than 25' poses big-time logistical problems, e.g. backing into sites, storing trailer and tv on the site, etc, and if I understand correclty, there are some campgrounds (maybe US Forest Service or BLM?) that won't allow greater than 25 footers;

as the "boomer" group ages, there are more and more couples-only on the road, and 25' is a pretty good compromise size for one or two, getting a little "close" with a passel of kids, in-laws, friends, etc.;

perhaps a bit easier to tow and store than longer units;

I "think" that there are more 'Streamers than in recent years who are wanting to TRAVEL and not just to go somewhere and SIT. And while undoubtedly a bigger coach is better when stationary, smaller has some undeniable advantages when on the move a lot;

one of the bigger issues to me - I intend to boondock quite a bit - is that the newer smaller units (including 25s) have substantially smaller fresh water and black water tanks.

Sorry about all the blather, but I too have noticed this "trend." Bet if you could get a look at the books at Jackson Center, they'd reveal that 25 footers are far and away the best sellers over the past several years.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
This was very true in my case. After months of looking and looking and one very frustrating 1800 mile trip, I get a PM from a member who tells me that he is going to sell his TW in a few months, am I interested? The rest is history.
After all of my searching, I totally believe that this is what will happen for me as well.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that Frank is going to finish up Anna and get her in perfect shape, then become bored and want another project. At that point he will sell Anna to me at a terrific price, and I will gladly help him find his next one...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
After all of my searching, I totally believe that this is what will happen for me as well.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that Frank is going to finish up Anna and get her in perfect shape, then become bored and want another project. At that point he will sell Anna to me at a terrific price, and I will gladly help him find his next one...

Marcus, You are to funny. Two days ago a fella drove up in a crown victoria. I am up on a ladder polishing.He gets out and says "Hello, I wanta buy that trailer." I replied, "It is not for sale" He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wad of $100 bills. He says "$3500 cash as is right now". I told him, "add a zero to the end and I will tow it over to your house and then drive you to the MVA". He didn't buy Anna.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Marcus, You are to funny. Two days ago a fella drove up in a crown victoria. I am up on a ladder polishing.He gets out and says "Hello, I wanta buy that trailer." I replied, "It is not for sale" He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wad of $100 bills. He says "$3500 cash as is right now". I told him, "add a zero to the end and I will tow it over to your house and then drive you to the MVA". He didn't buy Anna.
Heh! Now that I can completely believe.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Unless you've owned a 30'-34' and subsequently stepped down to 25', or thereabouts, hold off on trying to categorize the longer units as being problematic. Most of us with the longer units really can't understand what the fuss is all about! Frankly, I'm happy as heck with my 30', but I'd love to have a 34' - and I wouldn't worry about the extra 4' for a moment! This is the same argument that comes up about long bed crew cab pickups vs extended cab short beds! Unless you have a specific problem with your garage length, the greater the wheelbase, the more relaxing the tow!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Istachatta , Florida
bikestreamer

We lucked upon our 25" over a year ago and love it. Last year we did 3 months in the East, Md. WVa, Pa, Oh, Ny, NC, SC and back to Fl. This year we're goin' to Calfornia. The trailer is a 95 model Excella 1000. Replaced the water pump, and sme cieling fabric, took out the microwave and use a toaster oven now. Tow vehicle is a 2004 Chevy 1 ton Express Van with a 6 litre engine and 373 geared rear end, inside are 2 recumbent bicycles 2 trikes 2 mt bikes, a tool box, cooler and 2 dogs. Hope we can pull the rockies. I'll wax the heck out of the trailer before we leave. Someone told me it increases the aerodynamics somewhat, much like a recumbent bicycle vs. an upright road bike. Maybe Airstream should dimple the skin much like a golf ball or Lance Armstrong's jersey shoulders and lower back section. Every MPG counts now days.
Any suggestions on route selection over the rockies would be helpfull.

Happy Trails
Regis
Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
I think the 25s may be more popular because it was the smallest size available with a bed size that a couple could actually get a good night's rest on together. Those confining, boxed-in 48-inch or 54-inch beds are pretty tight, IMO. Now I see there's a 23FB with a doable non-boxed-in bed, but I wonder if it's truly a 60-inch queen as the AS website shows.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Quote:
I agree with you - all 3 of the Airstreams we have owned have "found" us. Doesn't keep me from still looking for that "perfect" 4th one (28'-30', w/rear twins and dinette).

Here is the length status right now from the Classifieds here on the Forums in Late Model Trailers that proves why it seems there are so many 25' trailers out there followed by the 34':

16' - 1
19' - 6
22' - 3
23' - 1
25' - 19
27' - 3
28' - 9
29' - 1
30' - 2
31' - 1
34' - 11
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
On our trip we have seen more Airstreams on the road than we did last year. Most have been Bambi's or 22-25 footers. We have seen only one 3 axel. Right now there is a 28 foot Internation parked next to us here in Silverton, Or.

We have met several couples full timing in 18 foot Bambi's. For us, our 25 foot Safari is all we need.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikestreamer
Maybe Airstream should dimple the skin much like a golf ball or Lance Armstrong's jersey shoulders and lower back section. Every MPG counts now days.

Happy Trails
Regis
Just take it into a good West Texas hail storm and you will have your little dimples.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote