Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
After all of my searching, I totally believe that this is what will happen for me as well.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that Frank is going to finish up Anna and get her in perfect shape, then become bored and want another project. At that point he will sell Anna to me at a terrific price, and I will gladly help him find his next one...

Marcus, You are to funny. Two days ago a fella drove up in a crown victoria. I am up on a ladder polishing.He gets out and says "Hello, I wanta buy that trailer." I replied, "It is not for sale" He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wad of $100 bills. He says "$3500 cash as is right now". I told him, "add a zero to the end and I will tow it over to your house and then drive you to the MVA". He didn't buy Anna.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Marcus, You are to funny. Two days ago a fella drove up in a crown victoria. I am up on a ladder polishing.He gets out and says "Hello, I wanta buy that trailer." I replied, "It is not for sale" He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wad of $100 bills. He says "$3500 cash as is right now". I told him, "add a zero to the end and I will tow it over to your house and then drive you to the MVA". He didn't buy Anna.
Heh! Now that I can completely believe.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Unless you've owned a 30'-34' and subsequently stepped down to 25', or thereabouts, hold off on trying to categorize the longer units as being problematic. Most of us with the longer units really can't understand what the fuss is all about! Frankly, I'm happy as heck with my 30', but I'd love to have a 34' - and I wouldn't worry about the extra 4' for a moment! This is the same argument that comes up about long bed crew cab pickups vs extended cab short beds! Unless you have a specific problem with your garage length, the greater the wheelbase, the more relaxing the tow!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Istachatta , Florida
bikestreamer

We lucked upon our 25" over a year ago and love it. Last year we did 3 months in the East, Md. WVa, Pa, Oh, Ny, NC, SC and back to Fl. This year we're goin' to Calfornia. The trailer is a 95 model Excella 1000. Replaced the water pump, and sme cieling fabric, took out the microwave and use a toaster oven now. Tow vehicle is a 2004 Chevy 1 ton Express Van with a 6 litre engine and 373 geared rear end, inside are 2 recumbent bicycles 2 trikes 2 mt bikes, a tool box, cooler and 2 dogs. Hope we can pull the rockies. I'll wax the heck out of the trailer before we leave. Someone told me it increases the aerodynamics somewhat, much like a recumbent bicycle vs. an upright road bike. Maybe Airstream should dimple the skin much like a golf ball or Lance Armstrong's jersey shoulders and lower back section. Every MPG counts now days.
Any suggestions on route selection over the rockies would be helpfull.

Happy Trails
Regis
bikestreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
I think the 25s may be more popular because it was the smallest size available with a bed size that a couple could actually get a good night's rest on together. Those confining, boxed-in 48-inch or 54-inch beds are pretty tight, IMO. Now I see there's a 23FB with a doable non-boxed-in bed, but I wonder if it's truly a 60-inch queen as the AS website shows.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
all you guys (and gales, sorry) "looking"... There sure are a lot of you "looking" I believe one does not "look", I believe they find you. I believe serendipity has to come into play. Kharma baby...
I agree with you - all 3 of the Airstreams we have owned have "found" us. Doesn't keep me from still looking for that "perfect" 4th one (28'-30', w/rear twins and dinette).

Here is the length status right now from the Classifieds here on the Forums in Late Model Trailers that proves why it seems there are so many 25' trailers out there followed by the 34':

16' - 1
19' - 6
22' - 3
23' - 1
25' - 19
27' - 3
28' - 9
29' - 1
30' - 2
31' - 1
34' - 11
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
On our trip we have seen more Airstreams on the road than we did last year. Most have been Bambi's or 22-25 footers. We have seen only one 3 axel. Right now there is a 28 foot Internation parked next to us here in Silverton, Or.

We have met several couples full timing in 18 foot Bambi's. For us, our 25 foot Safari is all we need.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikestreamer
Maybe Airstream should dimple the skin much like a golf ball or Lance Armstrong's jersey shoulders and lower back section. Every MPG counts now days.

Happy Trails
Regis
Just take it into a good West Texas hail storm and you will have your little dimples.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
I think it is neither fish nor fowl. Perfect camper for two. Add one child and a 27 plus looks pretty good. Going solo, well maybe a 20' Safari SE. I really like my 25-footer a lot. However, if I was going to full-time I would look hard at a 34' or even a fifth wheel.
Brad Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I believe that there are numerous factors that distort the conclusions that might be drawn from the lengths of trailers presently for sale. IMHO, one of the most significant is that the owners of the less-prevalent units are simply not interested in selling - whereas the more prevalent units might represent a degree of owner disatifaction or specific problems with a given unit. Understandably, the 34's do require a significant tow vehicle and many are owned by older Airstreamers who are hanging up their keys. Also along that line, note that not many of the 34's represent late model years - unlike the more numerous models of recent vintage.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Thumbs up moved up in length

I agree Cracker,I went from a 19' to a 29' , it all matters about what is your needs .The differences in gas mileage for me pulling a 19' as opposed to a 29' was 2 miles /gal.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
We upgraded from an '85 25' to a '94 28'. It sure felt like we gained far more than 3 feet of interior length. The 25' was nice, but a little constricting. The 28' is much better for us, but then a 30' with dinette looks good too. I can't see going to 34' unless we ever decided to full time.

As for the fuel economy difference, I would say that the three extra feet in length, extra 1000 lbs., and squarer shape of the '94 28' as compared to the '85 25' cost us only about 0.2mpg here in the Midwest. The fuel economy difference might be more pronounced in the mountains, but we have never towed there, so I can't confirm it.

BTW, when we toured the Airstream factory a couple of years ago, they said the current biggest sellers are the 19' and 25' models and in the the '80's it was the 34's and in the 70's the 31's. If I were to guess for the 50's and 60's it would have been the 22's and 26's.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Last fall we sold our 30 foot SOB for our current 25SS Safari. Ideally I would have liked something in the 27-28 foot range for the larger bed size, but there's not many available used in that range outfitted the way we wanted.

There are the new FB units in the 25-27 foot range but we couldn't afford new. Our local dealer has scads of used 30 footers on the lot. Seems to me the current trend in the Airstream market is 25-27' -- exactly the size you're looking at.
If you wanted a larger bed size, maybe the 25' with the double twins up front and the back full-width couch might have worked better for you. That version has the largest square surface for sleeping. The queens don't give each of two people as much room as the twins.

Of course, this is all out the window if you really do need to SS (Sleep Six)!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote