Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I cannot believe this thread and how it has taken off. My husband, Silverhoot, has tried to get me on this forum for over a year and finally succeeded. I can talk "quilting" anytime...we are new to the Airstream "thing" and have not taken her out yet as the renovation process takes so long...I do have one question. What do the guys do when the gals are quilting? I just had to ask...

Mrs. Silverhoot (Vicky)
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #42
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Tinker with their AS?

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I had no idea that Airstreams and my quilting love fit so well together. Thanks for this thread! My hubby and I are working on our new-to-us Argosy Minuet which will be a perfect size for me to take on the road, girls' quilting rally bound Probably be next summer before road worthy and ready for camping. Meanwhile, I just passed on my old Sears straight stitch machine ( NOT light!) to my daughter and bought for myself a Bernina QE 440, meant to feed me into total quilting addiction. It also is NOT light, so I've read with great interest the posts that discuss light portable machines that you are using in your Airstreams, doing projects on the road. Oh, glory, I want to do this! I've talked with my quilting groupies here in mid-MO about having retreats to quilt together or even about attending the Paducah show, but now you've added the ingredient of having a quilting Airstream rally and I can't slow down my heart beat! I'll be following this thread while hunting for a small light portable machine I can take along on our trips for small quilting projects. Does anyone have the Singer Featherweight 222? I love all things vintage, and this is so appealing to read about, but I know nothing about them. Is $1000+ a real and reasonable price for one that is reconditioned and in near perfect condition? Sew (!) many questions! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Georgia $1k is way too much for any vintage machine. Like I said before, these things are really not all that rare and it does not take a good sewing machine tech hundreds of $$ to get them going again. I would not pay more than $200 for a good condition feather weight.

On my other message board addiction (www.patternreview.com) there are lots of discussions about vintage machines. They are all the rage right now and the members over there are scouting ebay and craigslist like crazy.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #45
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I did not know the two fits so well either... but I'm liking what I see!

As for a reasonable price, I've seen them for more and some for less. It also depends on the shape of the machine especially the decals/paint. I do not have a 222 but I know they are supposedly more sought after. Reasonable price often comes down to how much you are willing to pay for it, if you can find it. Check Ebay for the actual sale price.. and good luck.

Here is a great resource for all things Featherweight.

April 1930's - A Sewing Shoppe...Singer Featherweight 222 For Sale

I have bought a few attachments from here and have always been pleased.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Georgia,

You should be able to get a good quality Singer Featherweight which is the 221 (I think) for $350-500. If you love your 440, you will love the stitch on the featherweight. They are work horses and can be easily brought up to shape. Jim Sorrell in Seminole Oklahoma is a great dealer. I dealt with him by phone and internet and was not disappointed. (disclaimer: no relation or business interest) EBay is another good source, but, in my humble opinion, $1000 is way too much. My sister-in-law found a great buy at an antique mall on a centennial model featherweight and paid around $500. It was in mint condition.

Also, the featherweight only sews a straight stitch. If you require zigzag, then you are out of luck.

I use my Bernina 730 for the heavy work and machine quilting, but often take the featherweight to the Airstream, or workshops or my sister-in-law's to piece. I don't know what I love more, my Bernina, my Featherweight or my Bambi.

Best,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
What good information you quilting sisters are sharing. Thanks to each of you. The search is on...! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Had some fun reading this. Am no quilter (or sew'er) but love all things mechanical. My mother had two nice machines and reading at some of the above links about the 222 (and what I think I'd buy, the 401). The DW knows "how" . . but whether or not we get one it'd be me seeing to it. I do admire pre-1960 craftsmanship. The smell of sewing machine oil, the motor heat . . Milton Cross or, later, Peter Allen announcing the Metropolitan Opera (on radio) was a Saturday afternoon constant coming from my parent's bedroom as my mother worked a pattern for herself or my sisters.

I'm not surprised at having several machines!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I cannot believe this thread and how it has taken off. My husband, Silverhoot, has tried to get me on this forum for over a year and finally succeeded. I can talk "quilting" anytime...we are new to the Airstream "thing" and have not taken her out yet as the renovation process takes so long...I do have one question. What do the guys do when the gals are quilting? I just had to ask...

Mrs. Silverhoot (Vicky)
Hi, I'm the main sew'er in our house, and my wife doesn't quilt. But sometimes she sews and I'm the set-up person, maintenance man, the sewing machine repair man, and sewing machine problem solver / diagnoses person. I guess to answer your question; I'm on stand-by if my wife has any problems with her sewing machine.

When people ask me how I learned to sew or use a sewing machine, I tell them that I took sewing in College. This is partially true. I took an Automotive Body Shop class and one day a week we had an Upholstery class.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #50
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
hi all sister sewers count me in on a get together in paducah for the quilt show. i have always wanted to go but not with my husband. i do some quilting i am working on a grandmothers garden right now. it is easy to take along as i am doing all the flowers. almost done with them. i am using the repro '30 fabs.
i like the pix of your quilts. what fun. i need to look into the janome jem as i do not want to take my elna on the road.
i had a liberty for about 2 years but the stitches were too unreliable got rid of it.
i heard of a lady who went with her husband on the road, he was a trucker and she went with and made all sorts of quilts.
i am so happy to be part of this thread. pat
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I'm the main sew'er in our house, and my wife doesn't quilt. But sometimes she sews and I'm the set-up person, maintenance man, the sewing machine repair man, and sewing machine problem solver / diagnoses person. I guess to answer your question; I'm on stand-by if my wife has any problems with her sewing machine.

When people ask me how I learned to sew or use a sewing machine, I tell them that I took sewing in College. This is partially true. I took an Automotive Body Shop class and one day a week we had an Upholstery class.

Dear Man.

Seamstress - woman who sews
Tailor - man who sews
Sewer - where the stinky slinky goes.

OK?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Dumb Question

Didn't think I would ever post this question on AS forum. Life is full of surprises.I hope someone can among the advanced seamstress/tailors can answer this for me.

I am trying to learn how to fit and make bras.I have a DD and GD that are very large busted (DD id a double H). Their bras must be custom made and are very expensive.

I have only done some small quilting projects.I have purchased a couple of books on bra making and realize how narrow the seams(1/8th inch) are and even a small deviation will affect the fit. Same as quilting pieces fitting together well. Which is probably why I have not done alot of it.I would consider my self an intermediate seamstress when it comes to dressmaking and the like using standard patterns.

So here is my question:

Would a machine that is good for making the narrow seams required for quilting be advantageous for bra making even though bras and lingerie require a fabrics with some stretchiness.? Which machine would enable someone of my skill level to get good results and not cost a fortune?

Suggestions from you more skilled ladies will be greatly appreciated.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #53
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post

Also, the featherweight only sews a straight stitch. If you require zigzag, then you are out of luck.
You can get the Vintage Zig Zag Attachment. That moves the fabric. However, it costs in good shape upwards of $75 online. They can be found at antique stores and garage sales for much less. I have used one on my treadle and I really believe that for quilting a actual machine built for it's a better idea.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #54
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
i am working on a grandmothers garden right now. it is easy to take along as i am doing all the flowers. almost done with them.
I am currently (on and off for months) been hand piecing a grandmother's garden! I am using repo fabrics from the civil war era.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #55
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
something in common with My DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I'm the set-up person, maintenance man, the sewing machine repair man, and sewing machine problem solver / diagnoses person. I guess to answer your question; I'm on stand-by if my wife has any problems with her sewing machine.
My husband is also the maintenance man, the sewing machine repair man, and occasionally (when my treadle bobbin gets dropped inside the cabinet) the bobbin rescue committee. It once ended up behind the bottom drawer of my parlor cabinet.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
This thread just begs the question:

Has anyone quilted an Airstream, quilted a cover for an Airstream, or made a quilt with Airstreams in the design?

Ken
My sister (who is a quilter--not me) made me this for my Airstream. She even sold a few here through the classifieds. There wasn't enough demand for her to make more, so whoever got one has a classic! They were made to put on the stove cover:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandy's Stove Protectors 001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	563.1 KB
ID:	110593  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Becky,

What a great job your sister did, she try and sell them via this forum's classified? I'm surprised they didn't sell well. Of course I don't know the price.

Mr. Silverhoot
Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
She did try to sell them on this forum. I think she charged $50 or $60. It sounds high, but I know all you quilters know the time & materials that go into quilting isn't cheap!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Becky,

As a quilters hubby I can definitely agree with you that quilting and Airstreams have something very much in common, both are expensive in both time and money. There is no way anybody would pay my wife what her quilts are worth. The pleasure she derives from quilting is priceless to me. BTW I don't think $50 to $60 is out of line.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When is the Paducah show? Somehow I missed dates... We have a trailer so we can camp with you and I love quilt retreats! Have to see if we could make this. Quilting and AS - what a wonderful combo!
(the guys can do whatever they want as long as they don't bother us!)
Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quilting