Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Cool Nicer, better built than an Airstream

Is it just me,or doe's it irr-ra-tate anyone else when you look at Ebay type ads and see Avion's,Silver Streak's,etc, and the seller writes about how much better their sob is than an Airstream product, Stupid Sh*ts. The funny part is their sob is listed under Airstream in order to get much/any attention at all! Riding on Airstream's coat tail's if ya ask me . What do my fellow Airstreamer's on here think?
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree! I get even more annoyed when I search Craigslist for Airstreams and get a bunch of square boxes 'made by the same company as Airstream", as if being a Thor product has anything to do with being the same quality as an Airstream - talk about coattail riding!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I guess we should be flattered. I have yet to see an ad for an Airstream that says "kinda looks like an Avion" or "sorta similar to Silver Streak", or even better yet "a rounded silver trailer made by Thor".
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The Thor listings as Airstreams is over the top. The SS and Avion are great units and as a vintage person, I enjoy seeing them. Listing as almost as nice as an Airstream would not be as catchy.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
As long as they do not say "Better than YOUR Airstream!" Moosetags is probably right, we should take it as a compliment and I also think Azflycaster is right about the SS and Avion trailers.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Alot of the ads do say "better than AN Airstream!" I guess that's not as bad as "better than YOUR Airstream!" Ain't smiley's great!!!
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Red face hummmmm........

hummmmmm......having owned a half dozen of each....avions and airstreams....and having been into or looked over another 40 or 50 of each....

i would have to say that.........(dont slap me.......) i can honestly say in my humble opinion....with my limited knowledge and experiance... that Avion trailers were built better then Airstream trailers...i will say this to anyone that asks

i know it is hard to accept...and it took me awhile to come to that conclusion...but, ....while there it is....

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I gotta sorta agree... BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields
hummmmmm......having owned a half dozen of each....avions and airstreams....and having been into or looked over another 40 or 50 of each....

i would have to say that.........(dont slap me.......) i can honestly say in my humble opinion....with my limited knowledge and experiance... that Avion trailers were built better then Airstream trailers...i will say this to anyone that asks

i know it is hard to accept...and it took me awhile to come to that conclusion...but, ....while there it is....
The Avions are built on a HUGE frame that takes away almost all of the "flex" issues Airstreamers have, and the aluminum is anodized so it doesn't shine or corrode easily, but the interiors What WERE they thinking? I admit I have that CCD/Safari SE mindset that says minimalism is good, but ye gods most of those things could pull into a truck stop and have women turning tricks out of them! Overdone French Provincial and on the edge of garish.

Paula Ford
Old 08-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Caveman.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I admit I have that CCD/Safari SE mindset that says minimalism is good, but ye gods most of those things could pull into a truck stop and have women turning tricks out of them! Overdone French Provincial and on the edge of garish.

Paula Ford
as the caveman in the geico commercial says.......Yes i do have a response for that................WHAT?

PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
Old 08-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The silver streak I looked at before I bought my AS had all metal cabinetry, closets, etc. About as warm and cozy as a locker room!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I agree with comment

Many times copies of original concepts are in fact "better built", but they are still just copies.

Enough said.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
SOB Wannabee

Did NASA choose a Siver Streak, a Avion...?
Do they make movies with SOBs or Airstreams in them as campers?

Oh,...and what did Pamela Anderson customize...not sure if that is a + or -
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I'm confused

wanderer1- to use your kind of type-- what kind of Sh**t wagon is that in your avatar.
Don't look like no Argosy to me.
And put me down on the Avion side, I like them.
So if you don't own a Airstream you're just somebodies cousin?And in the south if you're married to your cousin does she get the trailer when she leaves you for your uncle?
I'm still confused.
Then those that own airstreams are better than others? sounds kinda central european to me.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I just read the ads and realize that some poor person is so desperate to sell their "whatever" trailer they'll say anything to unload it. How unfortunate for them that no matter what they say they are not going to elevate it to the same value as an Airstream.

They, and the SOB sellers, are trolling for anyone who might just not realize that there truly is a difference, and it is not just in the fit and finish, the weight, or even the options and functionality, when you buy an Airstream you are buying into something significantly greater than those things.

The Airstream is hands down the winner when it comes to
  • Still being manufactured
  • Recognized globally for what it is - an American Icon
  • The standard by which all others are compared
  • The large quantity of vintage units still being used for what they were designed to do - go camping, some original, many restored, many more than 50 years old
  • Being owned or admired by at least the 22,000 and more folks who belong to this Forum as well as the many thousands who aren't Forums members
  • I know there's other reasons people will come up with, but I don't want to seem overly prideful or anything
Then there is the whole Wally Byam mystique and the still highly visible and very highly regarded WBCCI.

Some people really do believe what they print. Others will say whatever it takes to unload the thing, and others are very proud of their trailer and it comes out in how they word their ads. So I read the ads, I shake my head, then I feel pretty gosh darned good that I and almost all the rest of you know better, and bought accordingly.

Barry
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
doorgunner's comment about wanderer1's Avatar is great; I really needed a chuckle today, thanx!

Another thing - there ain't no Avion, Silver Streak, or Thor junk box displayed at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. That officially makes Airstream an icon of design, period.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
DG, you've got it wrong, and I don't appreciate the gratuitous slur on the South.

It's when your sister leaves you for your uncle that she gets the trailer. If it's your cousin, all she gets is the truck, most times.

And we Virginians say this is true in WV, not the South, anyway.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Kiss my ARGOSY!
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #18
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
just got back......

just got back from a couple of hours in the airstream....89 Landyacht...Squarestream...pictures located in proper folder.....

its raining outside here in central florida now....finally....6 hours so far this afternoon...

i spent 2 hours pulling the front walls and ceiling panels out of the airstream....i mean pulling them out and throwing them on the floor....3 vents to replace and the a/c was leaking too....all 3 front windows leaking....door case leaking....roof seals lower of awning leaking....back bedroom....ceiling and walls out....curtains out....everything off floor...

not alot of water inside...just enough to see wet on the interior wall runs...and in the window case lowers....if i am going to fix this trailer i might as well do it right....i dont want to have to do this again in a couple of years...

just to check....i went into my 1962 Avion T-20 which is parked 10 feet away....dug and dug......not a drop of water....just where my sneaks were wet coming in on the floor....

been in a couple of silver streaks, streamlines, canned hams, yellowstones over the past couple of years and sorry to say many just like airstreams when in as found condition...rotted floors, rotted walls, mold everywhere, carpet rot, frame rot, frame rot, rot everywhere....

dont get me wrong....i love airstreams....Avions are just built better....like tanks....i will agree that some i have seen interiors that look like dark woods at night....but i have never seen one with pee yellow and snot green interiors...like a safari i had....and never seen plastic cabinets or abs shower stalls....

ok.....i will admit i love airstreams....and avions i will come out of the closet and say i am BI

PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I gotta say that the 1972 Silver Streak I looked at before I bought our Sovereign was definitely an eye-catcher! The one thing I do like about the SS over the AS is the bathroom, specifically the shower. Not having to worry about water splashing everywhere is nice. All of the SS I have looked at had wood cabinets; my 1968 Streamline had the metal "locker room" cabinets Stef spoke of, and I disliked them very much, especially when I cut myself on them. I do like the TV cabinet in the SS, the way it slides out.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #20
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Ain't it great we got what they compare to? Life is indeed, grand!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote