Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #41
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Just try to imagine this happening.....

An SOB is pulled in at a rest area. Guy walks over to the the owner and says: "I didn't know they still made these"...........

Aint going to happen in this life time is it?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Here we go again > eBay Motors: Vintage SILVER STREAK Trailer - better than Airstream (item 320175894629 end time Nov-04-07 14:39:29 PST) Better than,and even cheaper than!
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #43

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I guess if I were selling my Airstream, I should be sure to include in the ad, "not as good as a Silver Streak".
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The seller added the following comment "Don't be scared by the low price"

...considering it's so much beter than an Airstream.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #45
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Airstreams look cool...
The others kinda look like an Airstream.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
It all depends on the job at hand. If you need heavy then for sure a Silver Streak or Avion is better. For sure they are quality products and I would not turn one down. If you define better based on storage space than nearly any modern SOB beats us hands down. If you consider the entire package, easy to tow, classic appearence, retention of value, head turning, availability of parts, usable clean interiors, long lasting when cared for, ease of repair when needed, just plain fun. Well then I think A/S has the upper hand.

Just like an Airstream? Oh really?

Bet I would have a hard time finding any other classic coach that I could tow with my Wrangler. There are some new units that are made just for this job but they are plain ugly.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Check out this one,whoever is selling it,say's it's an Airstream Silver Streak. Appears he's trying to say Airstream made it! Say's the same in his description. eBay Motors: 1978 AIRSTREAM SILVER STREAK TRAVEL TRAILER, 30 Ft. (item 150179207914 end time Nov-14-07 15:15:59 PST)
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

We are the proud owners of a 72 Sovereign and an 84 Avion. We love both of these trailers and find something unique in both. However, the Avion is a lot more trouble free. We are always fixing something on our Airstream, especially after a trip. Still, we will enjoy both and won't part with either of them.

Gloria Pace
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Maybe that's cause your Airstream is 12 years older than the Fleetwood! Brian
Old 12-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #50
56 Spartan

Salem , Oregon
Your correct Spartans did go out of business to Airstream, but only because they were built by a true aircraft company.

Spartan built airplanes for the Navy in WWII. When the war ended they switched to trailers. By the late 50's Spartan was having trouble competing with Airstream because Airstreams went for half as much. In an effort to compete the last couple of years Spartans were built, they used cheaper material such as 3/4 inch plywood floors.
In the end Airstream was still using much cheaper material, so Spartan left the trailer industry. Spartans are still around, but they are a flight school now.
56 Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
Comparing Spartans and Airstreams

I don't think it is accurate to say that Spartan went out of business to Airstream. I don't think the two companies were aiming at the same customer base, especially by the mid to late 1950s.

Wally Byam was building and marketing a trailer to be used to travel the world, if one desired. J. Paul Getty was building and marketing a mobile home. In other words, I believe Wally Byam was building what is comparable to the modern travel trailer and J. Paul Getty was building what is comparable to the modern mobile home. Today people use these old Airstreams and Spartans in much the same ways, but I don't think they originally were marketed to be direct competitors.

Those of us who own Spartan trailers use them as we would a modern travel trailer, but most of these trailers (particularly the longer and later models) were designed to be placed in a park somewhere. I have a 1951 Imperial Mansion that at 36'2" tows great and weighs less than 6000 pounds, but, my opinion is that it was meant to be set up permanently. So comparing it to a 1951 Airstream doesn't seem like a very fair comparison to me. The Spartan was much nicer, but it was able to be because of what it was intended to be used for. The first time I peaked inside an Airstream of the same vintage, I was disappointed, until I considered its intended use. If a person wanted a trailer to drag around the world, Airstream was it (although there were other brands building equally nice or superior trailers). If a person wanted a trailer to place in a modern trailer park, Spartan was it. Different purposes - different materials and appointments.

With respect to Spartan using cheaper materials such as 3/4" plywood floors in the later years, Spartan used 3/4" plywood floors as early as 1947. It was not a cheap alternative, but instead I think it was pretty common material. Many companies were using 3/4" plywood floors (and continue). To my knowledge, only a few companies used something else (example: Aero Lines used 1/4" magnesium in the Aero Flite, topped by balsa-ply). I can't speak to what Airstream used.
kevinreabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
I guess we have gotten away a little bit from the original thread, but this isn't the only thread I have read that Spartan was not able to compete with Airstream. I agree with kevinreabe. Spartan was built as a mobile home not a travel trailer as Airstream was. Spartan never was in competition with Airstream. Mr. Byam marketed his product as a go anywhere unit that did not depend on hook-ups. Spartan never had tanks unless someone requested this rare option. One of the reasons for Spartans being in such good shape (for 50-60 years) when you find them, besides the fact they had excellent design and craftsmanship built in, is that they have been parked in the same space in mobile home parks for all those years.
I beleive it could be said that Spartan could not compete with the other mobile homes on the market in 1959. By that time the mobile home market had become extremely competitive. This made it difficult for a high end trailer designed and built with attention to quality such as Spartan to compete with the wood framed corrugated boxes that were being produced. I think Airstream is in the same position in the travel trailer market today or at least would be if they didn't have the "coolness" factor that a growing number of people are looking for now.

Brent

1949 Spartan Mansion (30')
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #53
56 Spartan

Salem , Oregon
The target market is an interesting point, that I had not considered. I found the information about Spartan's demise to Airstream on spartantrailers.com
56 Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
I only took a quick look at the Spartan site, but didn't see where they had written that. Of course it is only an opinion as to why Spartan called it quits. It was probably several reasons. I just find the the Airstream and Spartan to be very different even though I was looking to buy either one for the same purpose.

1949 Spartan Mansion (30')
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #55
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think the phrase "comparable to Airstream" would not ruffle anyone's feathers. After all, you can compare anything to an Airstream...
Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Well, I haven't ever turned a trick in our Avion. I like the French Provincial. I must also say that I love my Airstream too. We all have our tastes and thank goodness for that! Both of our trailers are taken out on different occassions. Each has its own characteristics.

Gloria Pace
WBCCI 7287
72 Sovereign
84 Avion
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote