Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #401
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not at all. Use the submersible as your tow vehicle. Upgrade your basecamp with sails and it will sway you to where the wind blows free. Every night will be a boonedocking adventure as the ocean has no services. You'll get great fuel milage and no one will argue about diesel or gas as you'll be using free renewables. Pile your guests like cord wood on the roof and you can sleep all you want. That will get you lots of smiles. Pat

PS: I think this thread will live on forever. That should kill it, cause I'm never right.
PSS: It helps if you have read the book, but I doubt anyone has and I have only memorys of the text.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #402

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

PSS: It helps if you have read the book, but I doubt anyone has and I have only memorys of the text.
I read the preferred Canadian published version of the Cliffnotes, does that count? (Is this step 11 or 12?)

Matti

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Airstream Forums mobile app
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #403
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
One more post, so it helps. How about a new step list, that has no end? Actually, maybe some ends are a good thing. Pat
Old 03-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #404

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I may have missed a step or two here, but this is what it might seem like. Maybe this could be a sticky so newbies to the forum can set expectations. 😃 Sharing so we might have a laugh at ourselves (we've all been one of these responses at one time or another so no offense intended!).

Life and death of a thread

OP: asks for opinion on best (thing)

#1: welcoming response. Warning of opinions to come. Encouraging salutation.

#2: welcoming response. Sharing of strongly held opinion. Encouraging salutation. Happy emoticon.

#3: sharing of strongly held opinion.

#4: sharing of strongly held opinion.

#5: sharing of strongly held opinion. Challenge of #3's opinion. Insertion of "brows" emoticon.

#6: sharing of strongly held opinion. Encourage trip to Canada.

#7: offer empirical evidence against Canadian solution.

#8: warn of legal liability for going against strongly held onion. Relate anecdote from authoritative friend/relative.

#9: request official citation for claim in #8.

#10: hurl insult at #9.

#11: blame China.

#12: insert hyperlink to authoritative PDF. Include parable supporting position.

#13: recommend getting back to OP. Note OP no longer seems to be involved in discussion. Warn of mod action.

#14: inject comment completely unrelated to discussion at hand.

#15: recommend each person decide for themselves. Wish happy camping.

#16: hurl insult at authors of replies 4-14.

#17: switch mod_hat=on: close thread
The problem is, imho, we have wandered far from the original purpose of the OP that is to kill a thread. We all need to be a kinder gentler nation and just along with each other thus allowing this thread to die.

(I forgot which step was that?)

Matti

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #405
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seems like ASers may be made of more dedicated stock than the folks that tend to kill things. That would be a very good thing, but it is a thread hijack. Pat

PS: Isn't wandering what the AS life is all about? And the OP is not contributing, so may not care.
PSS: Believe that is #13 with 14 prior. How about everyone decide for themselves. That is #15. Happy camping.
PSSS: Not going to #16.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #406
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
lol. You are all so funny!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #407
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
lol. You are all so funny!
Which means you are really saying we are not and that is insulting and qualifies for number 16.

Now where is a MOD when you need one?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #408

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
BTW did you ever get enough sunlight to see if your solar panels are working or is the problem that they are Chinese?

Transferring to Sac the first of the month, so I will not know what the WC weather is anymore.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #409
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Seems like ASers may be made of more dedicated stock than the folks that tend to kill things. That would be a very good thing, but it is a thread hijack. Pat

PS: Isn't wandering what the AS life is all about? And the OP is not contributing, so may not care.
PSS: Believe that is #13 with 14 prior. How about everyone decide for themselves. That is #15. Happy camping.
PSSS: Not going to #16.

OP is absolutely contributing! 🤣
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #410
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Hi Folks!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes anyway!

I’m torn between purchasing a used Basecamp vs a new Classic 33. My spouse has never camped before though previously was happy living for years in a small submersible. This purchase is going to be a surprise!

I’m not worried about cold weather camping as I like to be outside only when it’s blue sky and between 72 and 78 degrees. I prefer to have a light breeze but am flexible about this.

Also, thoughts on a tow vehicle?

Thanks for your help!
Hey Meeks,

Thanks for your question. If there's one thing that we can all agree on it's that you should buy the tires you like first, and then get an Airstream and tow vehicle to match. I would suggest going to your local tire store and asking what tires they recommend for travelling in 72-78° weather. Once you've got that figured out the rest will be easy!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #411
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Hey Meeks,

Thanks for your question. If there's one thing that we can all agree on it's that you should buy the tires you like first, and then get an Airstream and tow vehicle to match. I would suggest going to your local tire store and asking what tires they recommend for travelling in 72-78° weather. Once you've got that figured out the rest will be easy!
Whoa! Not sure where you are getting your data. I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles, and my experiences differ greatly. If I were you, I'd start with the hitch. Make that selection first, then the tires. Lots of bad info in this thread. I just couldn't sit back and observe any longer.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #412
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Whoa! Not sure where you are getting your data. I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles, and my experiences differ greatly. If I were you, I'd start with the hitch. Make that selection first, then the tires. Lots of bad info in this thread. I just couldn't sit back and observe any longer.

What a diaper load! You choose the TPMS first - THEN the campground - THEN the tires and since the ONLY choice of hitch is the AnderPrideOx, you just go with that last.

Rookie mistake!

(Whistling....)
Old 03-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #413
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
You old foggies always ignore tech. You start with the levelers. Then you move on to the TV and Coach. The hitch is no longer needed with the Megafortress and even a fair quality bed loader. Look up Cool Dudess' posts on the review she did after a trip to Death Valley from New York City. With the right levelers and bed loader, the tires are just a non-issue.

Speaking of issues, Have any of you tried Dudet's pies? Pat

(thinking) If I could only whistle like the cool folks ......
Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #414
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Your posts are hysterical! My wife and I are literally laughing out loud.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #415

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
It's your credit limit that matters the most, find out what it is and then build around that. Unless you are paying cash then it is the destination.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:59 AM   #416
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
What a diaper load! You choose the TPMS first - THEN the campground - THEN the tires and since the ONLY choice of hitch is the AnderPrideOx, you just go with that last.

Rookie mistake!

(Whistling....)
Are you discounting my hundreds of thousands of air miles!? I'm almost certain I've seen and experienced everything there is in the known universe. I stand by my original reply. If you go with TPMS, you do so at your own peril. Believe me I've seen it 1,783 times. You won't have a single rivet left in your AS after 6,742 miles. (holy crap! I almost forgot the brows!)

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #417
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Are you discounting my hundreds of thousands of air miles!? I'm almost certain I've seen and experienced everything there is in the known universe. I stand by my original reply. If you go with TPMS, you do so at your own peril. Believe me I've seen it 1,783 times. You won't have a single rivet left in your AS after 6,742 miles. (holy crap! I almost forgot the brows!)

(Nice save with the brows!)

As your profile says that you - like I - tow a Flying Cloud, I have to apologize for indeed discounting your air miles - they wouldn't count in a Serenity or a Classic, but in a Cloud - I can't disagree with your experience.

I forget which step I'm supposed to be on at this point - I think I'm supposed to hurl some insult at you or refer to foreign made tires but for now I'll just say good day sir. I SAID GOOD DAY!

(Brows implied)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #418
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Yes, it has been a very good day. The rain went away. There was no frost on the roof and the temps are forecast to be up as well. However, the tone in the air is a bit sharp. The life on the road is vacant and the interchange is making slow progress toward goal. Believe #14 is well covered, but melting as we speak. Hope to meet your smile down the road even if your coach has floated away with the next front.

PS: How does one apply for Air Miles?
PSS: covered maybe for sure!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #419
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Not to digress, but the post about tires reminded me of a question I’ve never received a satisfactory answer to. Is it true that when selecting a spot in a campground, you should always try to vary the orientation of your trailer so as to get an even amount of sun on each tire? Is it enough to simply park N/S one day and then S/N the next, which could be easily accomplished by simply reversing the direction of your trailer in your spot, or should you actually change spots so you get some E/W or W/E orientation as well?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #420
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Is it true that when selecting a spot in a campground, you should always try to vary the orientation of your trailer so as to get an even amount of sun on each tire?

Specifically, I don’t know. Limiting sun exposure is always a good idea though. I find it easier to just cover the wheels on both sides.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote