Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #341

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
If nothing else, most threads suffer from endothermic denaturation (they burn out and die).

Happy New Year!
Run out of energy and fall apart?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #342
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That might not end it but this will.

1. None

Why not?!?!

😎
Oh boy! Well, since you asked...

It's not legal in Canada where I live and I don't think there's a way that I could legally carry a gun in the States where I do spend a lot of time each year, but even if I could I've never felt the need or seen the point of doing so.

The odds of one actually needing a gun for self-defence seem very low, and even if you have one it's no guarantee that you're going to be better off with it than without it. Sure it could save you, but it could also be used against you; you or someone else could injure or kill someone accidentally; or it could be used for a suicide.

If you carry a gun:
  • Are you sure that you have sufficient training? Even with intensive training law enforcement officers still make mistakes and shoot the wrong person, so I'm not sure what makes the average person think they will do better.
  • Do you carry sufficient insurance to protect yourself and your family in the event that you have to pay legal costs and/or settle a lawsuit as a result of your gun use?
  • Are you sure that neither yourself nor anyone else amongst your family and friends will ever suffer from a mental illness that might lead to your gun being used in a suicide?
  • And have you weighed the odds of a gun saving your life against the cost and inconvenience of carrying one?
The murder rate in the USA is about 1 in 20,000 per year, but unless you're living in a more dangerous city like Chicago, or involved in criminal activity, or have a violent family member to deal with, the chances of one being murdered are far less. So if you do carry a gun, do you spend as much time and money protecting yourself from the many causes of death that are more common than homicide as you do on your firearm?

Here are The top 10 leading causes of death in the United States, all of which are far more likely to kill you than murder. Most of the things that you can do to reduce your chances of dying from any of these are free of cost and risk. If you feel the need to carry a gun for protection, are you also protecting yourself by reducing your risk of death by these more common causes? If not, then you're basing your decision on fear, rather than risk.

I don't post these questions expecting anyone to answer (unless you really want this thread closed!), but more for you to think about.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #343
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Woohoo! Now we’re getting somewhere! However, seeing as how I’ve already advanced this thread to step 15, and “Gun Debate” isn’t one of the steps... I don’t know. Seems unfair to shut the thread down with the “Auto-close”, and not follow the steps so nicely laid out by SteveSueMac. You Canadians! Can’t follow the rules. Always the rebels... starting wars and stuff. Y’all need to calm it down a little.

-Red, anti-Canadian pacifist...
Old 01-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #344
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Life and death of a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Run out of energy and fall apart?

Why yes I have, thanks for noticing...

-Red, rode hard, put up wet...
Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 AM   #345
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Red - while I admire your hurling of insults at DavidsonOverlander, you've somewhat jumped the gun (if you will) by choosing a step much later in the process and not reverting back to step one at the new insight provided. If we ever hope to get this thread correctly shut down, we must model the way. To wit:

Hi there, DavidsonOverlander and welcome to the thread! Hoo boy you've opened up a bit of a can of worms as your neighbors to the south would say! Stay tuned - you'll get lots of varied opinions here. Good luck! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #346
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My bad. I was frustrated. I’ll try again...

Hey DavidsonOverlander! A great big welcome to our neighbors to the north! Fortunately, my right to carry is secured by the Constitution, as God intended it to be.
You made a few good points there though. Keep trying! [emoji2]

-Red, wishing now he’d have said “‘Merica!” in there somewhere...
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #347
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Oh boy! Well, since you asked...

It's not legal in Canada where I live and I don't think there's a way that I could legally carry a gun in the States where I do spend a lot of time each year, but even if I could I've never felt the need or seen the point of doing so.

The odds of one actually needing a gun for self-defence seem very low, and even if you have one it's no guarantee that you're going to be better off with it than without it. Sure it could save you, but it could also be used against you; you or someone else could injure or kill someone accidentally; or it could be used for a suicide.

If you carry a gun:
  • Are you sure that you have sufficient training? Even with intensive training law enforcement officers still make mistakes and shoot the wrong person, so I'm not sure what makes the average person think they will do better.
  • Do you carry sufficient insurance to protect yourself and your family in the event that you have to pay legal costs and/or settle a lawsuit as a result of your gun use?
  • Are you sure that neither yourself nor anyone else amongst your family and friends will ever suffer from a mental illness that might lead to your gun being used in a suicide?
  • And have you weighed the odds of a gun saving your life against the cost and inconvenience of carrying one?
The murder rate in the USA is about 1 in 20,000 per year, but unless you're living in a more dangerous city like Chicago, or involved in criminal activity, or have a violent family member to deal with, the chances of one being murdered are far less. So if you do carry a gun, do you spend as much time and money protecting yourself from the many causes of death that are more common than homicide as you do on your firearm?

Here are The top 10 leading causes of death in the United States, all of which are far more likely to kill you than murder. Most of the things that you can do to reduce your chances of dying from any of these are free of cost and risk. If you feel the need to carry a gun for protection, are you also protecting yourself by reducing your risk of death by these more common causes? If not, then you're basing your decision on fear, rather than risk.

I don't post these questions expecting anyone to answer (unless you really want this thread closed!), but more for you to think about.
I hope you didn't spend too much time writing that. I only posted the question in jest, not trying to actually get the thread closed lol.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #348

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
What everybody, we now have a perfect chance to go to step 7.
(Just can't think of any empirical evidence)

Matti- not tearing them from my hands as long as my heart is beating
Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #349
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
(Snip...)
we now have a perfect chance to go to step 7.

VERY well played! [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

But really we can't skip steps 2-6 to get there...

Really though - that was perfect!!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #350
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
What everybody, we now have a perfect chance to go to step 7.

Matti- not tearing them from my hands as long as my heart is beating
Now we're getting there. And to answer the four questions, yes, yes, yes, and yes.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #351
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Don't forget the threads that ask a simple question, like "how many wheels does an F150 have?" They go on for 30 or 40 pages. Everyone answers with "my Ram has 4" etc

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #352
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Seems that several steps have been hit, but are being ignored as a way to subvert the appropriate act of closing this dangerous and inflationary thread that is degrading our harmonious interaction and discussion. Either that, or there is a missing step in the list document that resets the sequence, discounts steps and in general pushes a thread forward in spite of the best efforts of intelegent and inovative folks who are working diligently to achieve an end result that may or may not be in the best interest of a camping, towing, driving, traveling, cooking, vacation, working, restoration, and technical forum for a shiny icon. Pat

Edit - it's all China's fault. When everything was manufactured in the US, it worked - until it failed.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #353
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
My bad. I was frustrated. I’ll try again...

Hey DavidsonOverlander! A great big welcome to our neighbors to the north! Fortunately, my right to carry is secured by the Constitution, as God intended it to be.
You made a few good points there though. Keep trying! [emoji2]

-Red, wishing now he’d have said “‘Merica!” in there somewhere...
Thank you for the welcome, but I think you've jumped back to #2: welcoming response. Sharing of strongly held opinion. Encouraging salutation. Happy emoticon.
but my post was a #3: sharing of strongly held opinion. in response to a previous question.

Note that I've use bold type in a passive aggressive effort to show that what I thought was obvious was apparently not understood by all, which I know is a departure from the so-called rules.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #354
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I love you guys!

-Red, not like that...
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #355
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Oh - extra points for brows!!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #356
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Thank you for the welcome, but I think you've jumped back to #2: welcoming response. Sharing of strongly held opinion. Encouraging salutation. Happy emoticon.

but my post was a #3: sharing of strongly held opinion. in response to a previous question.

Note that I've use bold type in a passive aggressive effort to show that what I thought was obvious was apparently not understood by all, which I know is a departure from the so-called rules.

Well Good Sir,
Had you taken the time to READ the post directly BEFORE mine, you’d have seen that the OP had taken us back to STEP 1. Try to keep up!

-Red, using caps because he doesn’t know how to bold font...
Old 01-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #357

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Well Good Sir,
Had you taken the time to READ the post directly BEFORE mine, you’d have seen that the OP had taken us back to STEP 1. Try to keep up!

-Red, using caps because he doesn’t know how to bold font...
See, this is where we are having problems,
1. The OP was to have become disgusted with where the thread has gone and dropped out.
2. Our Canadian friend was to simply make a statement and invite us to Canada, and by no means was to have made any empirical statements.
3. The China vs 'Merican made statement was to come after the empirical evidence rebuttal to the Canadian to be followed be insults.

Now will the OP please make a new statement about their onions, preferably Smith'sonions. This way can get back on track. It seems it is easier to kill a Mockingbird or a Salesman.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #358

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Dam I forgot an insult
Old 01-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #359
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well, I for one (as OP), prefer my onions breaded and deep fried - so I am insulted by your post.

Wondering if I can just ask the mods to shut this down?

Oh - and it's 'Murica [emoji3]
Old 01-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #360
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Maybe if we include the Step Numbers at the beginning of each post... I’m completely comfused and don’t know if I’m supposed to insult someone now, blame China, or suggest we make a trip to Canada.

-Red, not as sharp as he once was...