Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Is your Airstream/trailer for sale?

Hi, the other day, my wife and I were doing what retired people do,..... Nothing....... We were just trying to relax. Then suddenly the doorbell starts ringing followed by knocking on the door. Now what? Well it was a delivery from Fedex. OK now let's get back to doing nothing and trying to just relax. A few minutes later, our doorbell was ringing again, followed by knocking on the door. I ordered two things, did they forget to drop the other one off on the first visit? Was it UPS this time? No, It was a young couple, [who should have been at work supporting our life style] with a big red truck, parked in front of my house. [wife didn't recognize the brand of truck] "Would you like to sell your trailer?" Wife, very politely, "Sorry, this trailer is not for sale." OK, now you have disturbed my peace. I can no longer do nothing and relax, like a retired person should be able to. "I know, Lets go to the bank, be there at noon, and make a thirty minute transaction, at the teller's window;" That's what all the old retired people did when I was still working and trying to get things done in a hurry during my lunch hour.

Has anyone knocked on your door or rang your doorbell, to ask if you would sell your trailer, even though you don't have any "FOR SALE" signs posted?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
No, I keep it in the barn.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Yep, had one at camp, one drive by while we were unpacking after our trip, and one knocked a few weeks ago.... I promptly got my hitch lock back on
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Yep, had one at camp, one drive by while we were unpacking after our trip, and one knocked a few weeks ago.... I promptly got my hitch lock back on
Hi, mine is always locked, at home or in campgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 473.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	106113  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Just for giggles, I would have asked what they were offering... <grin>
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
do they make NOT FOR SALE signs?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As someone who is on the perpetual hunt for old trailers, I often knock on doors. I use a slightly different approach though. I politely apologize for disturbing them and tell them I was driving by and saw their old trailer. I never mention sale or brand, I just state my curiosity about their trailer. Within 2 seconds I know weather I should again apologize and leave or if they are willing to talk to me. I have ended up eating burgers with the family and been threatened that a shot gun was right in the front room. I take a cue from their body language and if the read is I am intruding, I leave right away. I am always very polite and try my best to not intrude. The "is it for sale" or "would you like it gone" come much later in the conversation. Often old trailers sit unused for years waiting for someone to knock and inquire.

I have been asked if it was for sale a dozen times now. My response is always "how much ya offering?" I firmly believe, for the right price, I can part with anything. I get at least 5 inquiries every week due to my business via email or phone as to trailers for sale.

It sounds like you do not want to be disturbed period. Sorry, if I misread you, but a sign on the door reading "retired guy lives here, do not dare and knock on my door" might be in order.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We live on a quiet street so not many have stopped to ask if it is for sale, but it does happen from time to time. Most are polite and they get a tour of the Minuet and we visit for a bit. One arrogant SOB that stopped wanted to buy, asked what we paid for the trailer and suggested that I should sell it and find another, larger, trailer. He is not welcome here, and got a chance to see me when I am irritated. :-)
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
As someone who is on the perpetual hunt for old trailers, I often knock on doors. I use a slightly different approach though. I politely apologize for disturbing them and tell them I was driving by and saw their old trailer. I never mention sale or brand, I just state my curiosity about their trailer. Within 2 seconds I know weather I should again apologize and leave or if they are willing to talk to me. I have ended up eating burgers with the family and been threatened that a shot gun was right in the front room. I take a cue from their body language and if the read is I am intruding, I leave right away. I am always very polite and try my best to not intrude. The "is it for sale" or "would you like it gone" come much later in the conversation. Often old trailers sit unused for years waiting for someone to knock and inquire.

I have been asked if it was for sale a dozen times now. My response is always "how much ya offering?" I firmly believe, for the right price, I can part with anything. I get at least 5 inquiries every week due to my business via email or phone as to trailers for sale.

It sounds like you do not want to be disturbed period. Sorry, if I misread you, but a sign on the door reading "retired guy lives here, do not dare and knock on my door" might be in order.

thanks for that summary ... there's an oldie sitting in a storage field that a friend of mine owns about 60 miles north of me. I'm guessing it's a 15'-16' footer - since its the smallest Airstream that I've ever seen. My friend gave me the owners name and number to call - said he's a real friendly guy and a bit eccentric. She mentioned that he has commented on it's rarity & desireability ---- but believes he will want more $$$ than it is actually worth. I still have yet to call.... I'm just not good at this type of stuff - but owning it is attractive - and I do understand the amount of time, money and effort it would take to get it on the road (to my satisfaction). In this economy - guess you never know what someone is willing to part with at the right price!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Other side of the fence

That's how we found our MH. It was less than 2 miles from our home on a main road. The couple was happy to sell. Turns out it was for sale the previous summer with no one stopping in to look.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
...One arrogant SOB that stopped wanted to buy, asked what we paid for the trailer and suggested that I should sell it and find another, larger, trailer. He is not welcome here, and got a chance to see me when I am irritated. :-)
Uh Hmmm. Gentle reader, I belive that this is probably the one time it is not only appropriate, but rather warranted, that you politely step back inside away from the threshold...and slam the damn door in his face!!!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
yes, people have stopped three times and called twice asking 'the question'. They were all polite and friendly, just wanting to join the world of Airstream. LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I was polishing our Caravel one day when a young man walked up the driveway and asked, "Is that old trailer for sale?" I smiled and told him that sorry, it wasn't. He replied, "Because my dad really wants one of those old trailers." Once again, sorry, it's not for sale. "Are you sure?" This time, more firmly (and not smiling), "No, it's not for sale." At that point, I reached for the phone that was nearby just in case the guy wasn't going to leave (local police are based only a few blocks away in our little town). I was glad that the Caravel is stored in the driveway behind a car that can take some persuasion to start.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We live in a rural neighborhood. Our home is difficult to see from the street as are our vehicles. We are enough secluded with a long driveway that we haven't had trick or treaters in 24 years. We do get deliveries from FedX and UPS. We've had the same UPS driver for several years. The UPS guy has asked me if I am going to sell it several times. I wonder what if I ever said YES what he would say? Just last week he dropped of a package as I was installing our new cork flooring. We talked 'vintage Airstreams' for a long while (and it was 7 in the evening!) as he toured the trailer, which he has seen before. He is a nice fellow and I hope someday to see an Airstream behind his brown van......not necessarilly our AS.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
We haven't had anyone ask if we wanted to sell the Airstream, but we do give tours regularly. However, we have a Boler trailer, and we regularly get offers...one just yesterday, in fact! My parents have a little Trillium (like a Boler) and both were parked in our driveway, and that really attracted attention! We gave several tours per day, and had many many offers! We had our Boler stored 1 hour outside of our city. Someone wanted it and somehow tracked us down and called us! That was a shocker.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
No, I don't think so.

No! Well - how much are you offering???

We have been on both sides of the scenario you describe. That is also how we acquired our trailer. It had been sitting in the same yard outside the marina for eons (we found out since 1978!) We left a note on their door saying we were interested in his trailer, how wonderful it was etc. never expecting a phone call (and I'd never done anything like that before!)

A week later we got a phone call, the gentleman said over the years many folks have asked him if he was interested in selling and the answer was always no. BUT, his wife had just been bugging him to sell it as it hadn't been used in years and maybe we were "the right ones." It was fate, aligning of the stars, and God watching over us . We had the cash to him the day he asked us to meet him there.

Since we've gotten it home, we have had some folks stop and ask us about it and they eventually ask if we are interested in selling. So far everyone has been polite but no one has offered enough for us to take the money and look for another. We're still in the honeymoon phase of our re-do. One guy left his business card and said to call him if we change our minds.

We are almost finished with the garage to store it in and we keep our 3rd vehicle parked in front of it in addition to having the lock on it.

It's kind of flattering that someone likes something you have so much that they are bold enough to ask if you are "done" with it. BUT, it also is a sign that you can't be too careful when securing it/locking it as there are those who are looking who are not so nice and may be checking out the "lay of the land."

Tina
oh2bcarefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my wife said that maybe they seen our trailer just sitting and thought we never use it. I told her most RVs sit a lot. My wife said maybe I should have asked them how much were they going to offer for it, just for the fun of it. Even if they gave us what we paid for it, [new] it would cost us nearly double to replace it with another [new] 25'er. [Safari/Flying Cloud]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 260.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	106128   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 259.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	106129  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Robertsunrus, Off topic, how in the world do you get the A/S in that tight spot?????
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Robertsunrus, Off topic, how in the world do you get the A/S in that tight spot?????

Hi, very carefully! We live on a very narrow street too and we usually plan to leave on our trips, on Friday. Friday is street sweeper day and all the neighbors cars have to be off of the street. If we don't come home on Friday, we for sure have to come home on a week day when everyone is at work. So half of the battle is getting into our driveway and the other half is trying to Park it with the street side tires about two inches from the edge of the concrete driveway. My driveway is 9' 2" wide, that leaves about 6"s on the house side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 091.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	106130   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 230.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	106131  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
..."Everythings for sale"...is my motto!...Now we just have to agree on the price!

Of course, the stuff I have that's not really for sale has a rather elevated asking price!

We've been asked several times, if the 'Blue Halo' is for sale...so far, my 'elevated' selling price hasn't had any takers... That, "you've got to be kidding" look you get in these situations is always fun to behold!

Or, you can always respond that it's not for 'sale', but for 'sail', as we're about to hit the road!

Ray