Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Those are actually home remedies. Homeopathic remedies are something else entirely, where they take something and dilute it down to nothingness and claim that it still does something. Basically a scam.

I would put a lot more trust in home remedies than homeopathic remedies.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
I'm sorry... I get carried away sometimes.

-Red, no excuse at all...
You do.

We all do at times.

I am just interested in serious answers rather than sifting thru all the ?€%^£¥.

Thank you in advance for your self-restraint.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Those are actually home remedies. Homeopathic remedies are something else entirely, where they take something and dilute it down to nothingness and claim that it still does something. Basically a scam.

I would put a lot more trust in home remedies than homeopathic remedies.
You know, Stef, with all due respect, I have a firm belief in homeopaths and homeopathic treatments.

I found a chiropractor/homeopath about 12 years ago who changed my life.

He has fixed things my doctors said they could not, and I trust him completely. He also made a believer out of my late husband.

If he tells me to do it, or take it, I do it and I take it.

What he does and tells me to take works, every single time.

Some of those non-traditional remedies are worth a second look.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #24

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Homeopathic remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You clowns.

This was started as a serious thread.

Go play on Any Topic or Random Thoughts.

There isn't an emoticon for sticking out one's tongue at you, but if there was I would be using it.

Maggie

Well shucks Maggie! Ya busted us. Drinks are on me next time we meet!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Home remedies or even an MD that doesn't have to write a rx to say he did something, when I told him I stopped taking his prescribed Meloxicam for arthritis when the substituted ginger was working for me. I food process the ginger and mix a teaspoon of fresh ginger in my beer. He even took note of it, then wrote turmeric on sticky note pad and suggested it was the best natural anti-inflammitory. My problem now is how to get the chef to use it, anybody that has a good recipe this would be the place to post it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you ever watch Dr. Oz, he introduces lots of homeopathic remedies, also "busts" products which claim to do things they actually don't.

Fresh ginger, fresh lemon, honey, apple cider vinegar, etc., I clearly recall, and I think he puts tumeric on popcorn and/or nuts.

Can't say I have written them down, as I just don't get sick, but I do pay attention to them and find them interesting.

One thing I have tried is a couple of tablespoons of baking soda mixed with shampoo, to remove buildup and residue of whatever sort, followed by a rinse of 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of warm water, which you then rinse out as you would a creme rinse. You have to do both.

Lots of info on this online.

Don't knock it unless you've tried it. It works amazingly well, and has removed the frizz from my mostly grey hair.....which is still crazy curly from the grey, but doesn't look after a shampoo as if I have stuck my finger in a light socket.

Yes, you smell a bit like salad dressing, but can follow the acv rinse with a shampoo, if you like. I like to leave it til the next day, but have shampooed afterward and still gotten the very positive effect.

If you have limp locks, try it. You'll be amazed.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do realize I am blurring lines here, between homeopathy and home remedies, but I think the bottom line is the same.....non-traditional ways to resolve common or uncommon issues.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I do realize I am blurring lines here, between homeopathy and home remedies, but I think the bottom line is the same.....non-traditional ways to resolve common or uncommon issues.

Maggie
You said it Maggie......... The mustard for leg cramps I'll pass to a neighbor he's 68..... Another remedy for ulcers is drinking milk from the dairy not grocery store. A good sense of humor helps keep this thred alive, so more can benefit Were all family here sharing advice. Thanks everyone
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I thought I put a thumb's up icon Maggie.... Sorry Gregg.... You can buy Ginger with a sugar coating at Marshalls or Home goods it's sister store.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Homeopathy even by the pharmacy students I train often is confused with other terms

It is not a catch all term for natural medicine or allopathic medicine or home remedies.

The belief by Homeopaths is that by dilution of a substance in increments shaking the solution with each dilution that you are leaving a sort of "energy imprint" - Homeopaths agree that the dilutions really are nothing more left than water but they believe that there is some vitalistic essence or some such left on the water molecules that translate into benefits.

Stated more conventionally - they are often putting drops of water on sugar pills and selling them as a treatment for all sorts of ailments.

This is a 6 billion per year market in the US and the products are all around other OTC products (say next to aleve or Tylenol cold/sinus) and even companies like cvs make their own preparations - cvs sells the most last I checked - 800 million per year on these products.

There are many large randomized controlled trials looking at homeopathy - and many smaller ones too - quality of the studies vary - the larger quality studies show what one might expect - same as placebo - smaller low quality studies can be cherry picked and people assume that is proof positive of effect.

Consider for a moment that the NIH budget per year is approx 30 billion - and homeopathy sells are at 6 billion per year....

I always chuckle at this notion of energy imprints with severe dilutions - consider that the water you drank today very likely has water molecules in it that I peed out along with ever airstream forum member and the multitude of these molecules have been in contact with a great multitude of substances....well - you get my drift perhaps

I need to break I to this market though and get a share of it!!

Also consider the industry is entirely unregulated - I severely doubt these companies selling the stuff even bother to go through the dilutions - the succination - they just bottle up the sugar pills and call it homeopathy - the snake oil inception level 3

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Homeopathic remedies

My favorite home remedies include chicken noodle soup, hot tea, and rest...

When my wife is Ill I always offer my own special remedy that I swear is a cure all but she resists - and denies it to me even when I am ill

Old 02-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I've long heard that keeping a bar of soap under the fitted sheet at the foot of your bed helps with leg cramps. I've never tried it but made my husband try it for about 6 months when he was battling them. He said he never had another cramp after I put the soap under the sheet. He is kind enough to likely not tell me if he did, so I'd not think my efforts were in vain. :-) Anyone else ever heard of this or tried it?
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
The Thai restaurant by my house makes a super spicy Tom Ka soup that's guaranteed to kill every germ in its path.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
The Thai restaurant by my house makes a super spicy Tom Ka soup that's guaranteed to kill every germ in its path.
Pharmgeek, are you talking sex? I've heard that it helps, but never had a chance to do extensive research. If it works I'd be sick all the time......... Paddledipper never herd of the soap trick, but worth a try. I'll tell my neighbor about this as well.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Homeopathy is totally off the wall, but when it was first thought out mainstream medicine was still about balancing humours and blood letting. Bacteria had not yet been discovered, let alone viruses. In the final analysis homeopathy did no good but less harm than standard medicine of the time. This built a solid fan base that still believes.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Homeopathy is totally off the wall, but when it was first thought out mainstream medicine was still about balancing humours and blood letting. Bacteria had not yet been discovered, let alone viruses. In the final analysis homeopathy did no good but less harm than standard medicine of the time. This built a solid fan base that still believes.

Not quite - it was invented by a German as I recall in the mid 19th century - we were way past balancing the humors at that stage with bloodletting - we knew about bacteria - homeopathy is actually in the grand scheme a fairly recent invention - which makes it that much more weird.

To be fair though - back then - even in the early 20th century - id rather take homeopathy than see a doctor in many cases

I cannot confirm or deny that I intended to suggest sex as a home remedy

Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My chiropractor/homeopath sells nutritive supplements, but I don't buy them because they are too expensive.

I get mine in a pharmacy, take these few supplements faithfully, and my body works well.

Assessment, diagnosis and treatment are completely different from traditional medicine, which he says treat symptoms rather than problems. It is a leap of faith....but I am devoted to and trust completely this man.

I see him several times a year for "tune-ups", as I call them. He adjusts my kneck and back, checks me over thoroughly. In addition to my medical doctors, who know I see him and every supplement I take.

I bought a book on Nutritional Healing some years ago at the local health food store, which is a wonderful resource. Lots of good info in there, sans prescription medicine.

If you're completely healthy and everything is working well, no need to look for something else. If you feel like you're body is falling apart, like I did in 2002, might be good to look at something different.

Made a convert out of me.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Pharm Geek, are you saying that if the solute (the homeopathic remedy) does not dissolve in the solvent (water), than one should use a different solute (alcohol) and combine until very little of the solute remains?
II'llll drrrunk to that.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
arthritis treatment

My field trial is well underway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home remedy.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	232770  
Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Garlic, lots of it. There was a special on TV some years back called "Garlic is like 10 Mothers" ' or something like that.

I don't know if that's homopathic, home remedy, or what but I know garlic works.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote