Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Angry High Speed on Interstate

One of our members just lost their SUV and Airstream on I-95 in Jacksonville, Florida. They were in the right hand lane going 62-65 mph when a tractor trailer passed them at what they estimated to be about 80+ mph. The draft from the tractor pulled them to the left and they think that they made contact with the 18 wheeler. They lost control and rolled their unit on its left side in the center lane of I-95. The truck driver did not stop. This couple keeps thier unit in the best mechanical conditon and have all the saftey stuff propery attached. It was not a mechanical problem. Excessive speed by big trucks can be a problem to any of us, they do move you at times. Be careful and use your rearviews, it may not prevent you from having an accident but it may let you be prepared to try to advert. They had to be cut from the SUV but were not seriouisly injured. The really sad part is this is the end of their RVing, and it didn't have to be. I hope the truck driver has a good story to tell over beers.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I certainly hope the driver and passenger(s) are OK physically. All mechanical items can be replaced or repaired. Thanks for the word of advice.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
This is most unfortunate and totally unnecessary. Thank goodness they survived. The Florida Highway Patrol does little to stop this , as big rigs in Florida have the pedal to the metal most of the time.

On our last trip to Orlando in February (sans Airstream) we were traveling at 72 to 75 MPH in a Saturn minivan and we were routinely passed by trucks travelling a lot faster than we were.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
California has a 55mph speed limit for towing vehicles, and trucks.
I often cursed this, as 62mph is a much more comfortable speed for me, but at the risk of getting a speeding ticket. Now after reading this story, I am very glad that we have this speed limit. It keeps the big rigs under 70mph, usually, with less impact on innocently towed travel trailers.
I am glad that the couple towing the Airstream is ok, but sad at teh same time that it would have to end their RV fun. Can't blame them, though. This is scary stuff.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have long been an advocate for speed limiters for the big rigs for a variety of reasons. With my dually I seldom run over 65mph. Many of the big name haulers have their trucks chipped to limit top speeds, typically it is the independants that are screaming down the roads. If they have the "Safety" bumper stickers I don't hesitate to call in if they are exceeding the speed limits. Several times it has been a Wallymart trailer being pulled by a contract hauler...

Tarheel,
Please give my condolences to them and I hope they don't quit Airstreaming because of this incidence.

There are a bunch of idiots loose on the highways and unfortunately the HP can't catch all of them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Unhappy So sorry to hear that

It is such a shame when things like this happen. I am glad that they are safe, I can see how it would scare a person out of towing. I know I'll be looking more carefully in the rearviews.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rick, I am so sorry to hear of that bad news. Thank goodness those guys were obviously buckled up to have survived such a high-speed event.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I-44 here in Missouri is very similar with 70-80 being the speed for a lot of 18 wheelers. I know that I try to be observant and watch the traffic coming up behind me and move a little further over to cushion the suction. I've gotten surprised a few time too. Thankfully my sway control that I used from my old Reese Dual-Cam and my current Equal-i-zer hitches have kept things in order....but if they come close enough to you, and you have the right wind and road pitch conditions all hell can break loose.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Tarheel, it could be informative and instructive to know the details of the tow vehicle and trailer. That is, the models, weights, and axle loadings in comparison with the manufacturer's recommended maxima, the make of hitch and sway control, and the manner in which it was set up. I'm sure the poor victims don't wish to be interrogated, but any information you have could be useful to other forum members in preventing recurrences.
Nick.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I75 here in Florida is just as bad. You can be driving 80-85 mph and still get passed. I try and take the backroads as much as possible, avoiding I75 if at all possible. It utterly amazes me that people can have accidents on a straight stretch of interstate on a dry, bright sunny day. You can be stuck in traffic for hours after one of these accidents.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Ouch

Man am I glad everyone was okay.

That's why I'm glad we don't carry a weapon in our TV. My wife would shoot 'em.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Details Would be Helpful

I know it's a delicate topic, but like Nick, I would like to know more about tow vehicle and hitch configuration. We have a bunch of people who come to this forum to learn about tow vehicles and hitches. If we can use this unfortunate accident to help others make more educated and informed decisions, then good will come from it.
Very Respectfully,
Ken
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
The truck was a late model ford expedition, trailer 27' safari, reese hitch, believe it to be the dual cam as it was a fairly new 1999 unit. Wife was driving and has been for 5 years or more. She has pulled the entire east coast many times from Canada to Florida. If she had been able to get to the brake controller it might have made some diiference, but since she was hit by the truck probably not. She did try to increase speed to pull it back in line but it was not enough. Husband had much experience with mechanical in his work and I had personally seen the unit connected, many times, and that was not a problem. Other than hitting the manual override on the trailer brake I don't know of anything she or anyone else could have done. If she had seen him coming she may have been able to move to the right but he overtook her at a high rate of speed. She kept the unit in a straight line which is difficult at best to do under this condition. It has happened to many of our traveling companions, and most of them walk away from it, some don't. We lost one last year just after the Southwest caravan. Be careful, pay attention to small details such as brake away switches, over heated tires, good extention mirrors, wheel bearings, worn hitches and balls, chains. It pays to have your wife walk around the trailer after you have everything hooked up and are ready to go, she has caught my friction sway contol bar loose more than once. Take your time and don't get in a hurry, have a routine and stick to it. Be like the golfers, if you get disrupted while hooking up start the routine all over again. Don't socialize while hooking up. Don't help others unless they request. Talking to them can make them over look a step.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Take your time and don't get in a hurry, have a routine and stick to it. Be like the golfers, if you get disrupted while hooking up start the routine all over again. Don't socialize while hooking up. Don't help others unless they request. Talking to them can make them over look a step.
Good advice

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Very scary! Glad they are ok.

On our 6 hour drive home from our trip this weekend the thing that surprised us most was the motorhomes. The semis were all pretty well behaved, but several times we were passed (we were doing around 65) by the HUGE motor homes, doing WAY in excess of the speed limit, just going scary-fast. Something about the shape of those seems to give us the worst push, and because our tow vehicle isn't particularly aerodynamic either, I think the van almost get's pushed worse than the airstream!

All those points are great advice, and we also have a check list and both of us double check it - though this time we still managed to attach the sway control but forgot to tighten it - but it seems to me there is no setup that can protect you from getting pushed by the air coming off another large vehicle moving that fast.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Sorry to hear about your friends. I hope they are ok.

I can certianly identify with this. One my way out to Montana I had several trucks pass me at high speed. As the came up on the middle of the trailer it would push the truck towards the lane of the passing truck. I quickly got in the habit of looking my left rear view mirrow and anticipating the movement.
This was happening with a truck that weighed almost as much as the trailer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
A high speed differential is probably more of an asset in cases like this. The real culprit is the lack of distance between the vehicles. Some truckers just like to skim trailerists to see what they can do but with wide vehicles and narrow lanes and a bit of surprise, the venturi effect can really ruin a day.

This is one case where trying to speed up to straighten out is probably not the best idea as it keeps you alongside the other vehicle longer. It is also not a good idea to put too much into keeping a straight line, either when just staying in lane is good enough and usually safer.

Glad to hear they were able to survive a high speed crash. It is indeed a tragedy that the incident will make it difficult to get back into the RV lifestyle.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Where in California is this miricle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
California has a 55mph speed limit for towing vehicles, and trucks.
I often cursed this, as 62mph is a much more comfortable speed for me, but at the risk of getting a speeding ticket. Now after reading this story, I am very glad that we have this speed limit. It keeps the big rigs under 70mph, usually, with less impact on innocently towed travel trailers.
I am glad that the couple towing the Airstream is ok, but sad at teh same time that it would have to end their RV fun. Can't blame them, though. This is scary stuff.
We live in Northern California an hour east of Sacramento. I traveled US50, I80 and I5. If a big rig is traveling below 60 he is in slow heavy traffic or having mechanical problems. Cars and trucks travel I5 75-80 routinely.

Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
SW US is FAST!!!!

Neil -

Your experince is also mine. The traffic is CRAZY at 75 or 80+ MPH. That is when the HP is out giving tickets like candy....

When they aren't around, it is 'all bets are off' !!!!!!!!!

We have I25 running into town just east of here and after a long slog up into Sedillo Hill west of here, the trucks, RV's and cars 'just let it fly' on the downhill grades.... Been passed by Class-A's with toads at 95+!!!!

There are even 'special haulers' that are doing 85+ when they come through here.... The "wide load" cars/trucks need to get the heck out of the way when they come down these grades!

I turn in licence numbers and call numbers listed on the rigs every trip into town! HP knows me on every call!!! Proud to be known! Nail the bas*ards! We have speed limits for a reason.... Even the Wally rigs roar through here!

Probably have a reputation over at Wal-Mart - No LOW prices for him since he is costing us $'s with all his calls....

Not trying to sound like a ninny here but... This stretch of highway is one of the higest fatality stretches in the US per vehicle mile driven. It gets closed down every week, at least once for fatal accident investigation. In fact, they have institued a 'safety corridor' along here to try to reduce the speeds.... See 2nd and 3rd sentances above.

Good luck!

Yeah right. You would think with gas/diesel at near all time highs, that there would be moderation. NO DEAL. If anything, it is the opposite. "I believe I can fly..."

Look for me in the slow lane, with either corporate or SHP on the line. Figure I am contributing to a safer tomorrow. I'll wave as I pass you sitting there with the flashing SHP lights in your rear view.... You probably won't see me.

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I hope I spell this right...but run a google search for the "Bernoulli Principle" it shows how when a large object like a truck passes you there is a cushion of air that pushes you away, but then there is a vortex/vacumn that will suck you back towards it. Might give some insight into what is happening.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote