Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2002, 08:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Pahaska -

Well, I disagree with HOW you reprimanded EDMATLOCK. All you could have done is ask him for specifics, clarification and details IN A NICE WAY. You have done nothing to advance the subject matter yourself by reprimanding Ed - all you did was make someone feel bad.

And who cares about cyber "rules" as long as we are being respectful? So what if someone writes in all caps? What - does it hurt the eyes? If anything, it makes it easier to see than the lowercase letters! (I guess I am "shouting" since I wrote that exclamation point -?).

As long as everyone is RESPECTFUL, that is ALL that matters.

FYI - I totally agree with Edie.
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:51 PM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Edie G

You missed my point entirely. What I said was that the ammonia leak could just as well have happened when standing still, say in the middle of the night. The fact that the MH was underway was irrevelant. The risk is inherent in an amonia adsorption refrigerator.

There was another recent post where an owner smelled ammonia while hooked up. He ran outside and jerked the power cable. The refrigerator, lacking 120v power, automatically switched over to gas, as it is designed to do, and caused a fire.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 10:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Pahaska

Let's agree to disagree. I feel the post was entirely relevant in a discussion regarding refrigerator modes of use.

I will admit, I usually agree with you and admire your high quality posts. But I disagree with every post you made to this thread today.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:18 AM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Edie G

No problem. Reasonable people often disagree.

Let me put it another way, though. I often dry camp overnight at a truck stop. Many times at music festivals, I dry camp for close to a week at a time. There are many posts here where people are installing solar so that they can dry camp for very extended periods, weeks or more. During all these periods, the propane is turned on and the refrigerator is running in propane mode. The risk of explosion/fire is just as present during these periods and the periods are typically much longer. Longer period = longer risk. In addition, during a portion of these periods people are asleep in the MH or trailer.

Should we tell everyone to never use the refrigerator on propane? I don't think so. Almost everyone would agree that the risk is almost vanishingly small.

Basically, there is nothing in the wheels going around that modifies the risk. In fact, the increased airflow that comes with travel might possibly prevent the concentration of amonia fumes from reaching explosive concentration and prevent an explosion that might have otherwise occurred.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:32 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Disadvantage of 12 volt operation

There is usualy a negative side to most things. Typically, operating on 12 volts, will draw 23 to 25 amperes from the coach batteries. If you have been dry camping all of your batteries will need a good charge and this will not happen if the refrigerator is operating on 12 volts. Further if one or more of the coach batteries has been discharged into a deep cycle you can end up with a destroyed battery. All three-way fridges have an automatic circuit which disconnects the box from 12 volts if the ignition key is turned off.
On the WBCCI Newfoundland trip you have to turn off the propane for from 6 to 17 hours depending on which ferry is being used. As long as the box is not opened the fridge will maintain a cold environment. Of course Newfoundland is not 110 degree in the summer.
What to do? I use the (1) turn off the fridge completely and don't open the box; (2) run the fridge on propane while driving; and (3) run the generator for 110 AC operation depending on the circumstances [low batteries, getting gas, ferry ride, short trip, hot summer temps etc.].
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 01:38 PM   #26
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
A/S Refrigerator

I have read all the posts in this regard with a great deal of interest. I can see both viewpoints about operating the Frig underway on the raod, but according to MY AIRSTREAM MANUAL.
There are safety locks and relays which switch operations from gas to 12V to 110, depending on the situation automatically.
There is no way the flame (gas) is on when you are on 12V, and there is even a 30 minute delay to returning to gas when the 12V is off. Apparently, from the way the A/S Manuial is written ( at least for Motor homes) it is intended that the Frig be placed in service while travelling. Of course there is no justification for running with the Hot Water Heater on while underway, or while fueling. But the A/S refrigerator system is absolutely safe while fueling and travelling UNLESS someone has altered the system installed by Airstream. I agree that for TOTAL safety, only closing the valve on the LPG tank would be totally safe, but 3=way refrig are manufactured and installed for highway use while travelling, and apparently, A/S intended that they be used that way, and their Manuals for Motorhomes reflect that position.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:43 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
The latest issue of Trailer Life (Dec.'02, page 74) has a Q&A about this issue. According to them, driving with the refrigerator on LPG is completely safe and no state has any laws prohibiting it.

This is contrary to what I have been told, but is a welcome answer that will make my traveling life less stressful. I'll now travel with the refrig. on LPG when I need it.
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:21 AM   #28
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
Good luck
Old 11-25-2002, 06:42 AM   #29
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
An article in the latest issue of Good Sam states traveling in a Motorhome with the refer on gas should be avoided.
So who cares which article is wrong or right, it's up to the individual to make the right decision for themselves and their loved ones.
One thing people should consider is the difference between pulling a fireball and driving in a fireball.
Winner, if a Motorhome is equipped with a 3-way refer, it is completely beyond me, why anyone would even remotely consider using the gas function while traveling. The 12V function is only effective and reasonable with the motor running and the alternator charging the coach batteries and supplying extra voltage to the refer.
There is no other situation when using the 12V function would make sense.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
(FYI I chose to edit a few of the above posts so ast to keep this thread on track and eliminate uneccessary pokes- no offense or personal slights intended)

To quote Trailer Life mag this month- "experienced Rv owners will use their judgement and decide what is best, as to running your refrig on gas, there are no laws against doing so in any state at the present time".

So y'all do what you think is best for you and yours. It is terrific to have this forum for different points of view concerning this and so many other topics both controversial and not.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:59 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Run the fridge while traveling?

RE: 12-Volt RV Refrigerator Mode Useage:

Quote:
. . . If a Motorhome is equipped with a 3-way refer, it is completely beyond me, why anyone would even remotely consider using the gas function while traveling.
My '64 Overlander always travels with its 3-Way Refrigerator in the 12-volt mode. I don't think that there is any reason why anyone with a 12-volt mode option would want to travel in any RV with the refrigerator on LP when the 12-volt mode is available. Of course, I have the history of Murphy's Law when it comes to fuel stops as per my earlier post.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I will agree on the murphy's- my dad owned a gas station- car repair biz for many years, and only once had a small fule spill due to someone driving out with the hose still in their tank...
hope your unlucky experiences are over in that area!!
Old 11-25-2002, 10:34 AM   #33
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We bring ice chests when we go for longer trips, and keep the perishables in there. We use the ice later for drinks. Block ice lasts for several days in 110degree heat in a decent ice chest. I open the chests only for seconds at a time - no browsing for snacks. My fridge gives me no options in this regard, so I got used to the ice chest method. My 110 system in the fridge is not working, and it will not stay lit while driving, so I just put some blue ice in the freezer to help it along later, and light it up once we get there. It usually cools down to the mid 40's in just 3 or 4 hours.
After reading the posts in this thread and using common sense, I doubt I would run the propane while driving. I will buy a 3-way fridge when the budget allows for it and then feel safe while driving with the fridge on. I am, however, wondering about the safety of 25 or more amps travelling through the entire rig through the 7-way connector to the fridge heater, with the pigtail moving around etc. I might get a very secure single pole connection system once the 12V fridge is a reality.

BTW:
The posts in this thread feel sort of incomplete, and a bit confusing. I would have rather read it before editing and dealt with whatever was there. I am not sure I like the moderators editing the posts. It is easy to click to another post if offended. It's impossible to get the feel of the post if edited by another person. It should be up to the member to edit her/his own posts if asked by other members, or perhaps the moderator's duties should be to make suggestions of edits, instead of being allowed to make choices on what we can read and what not.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:53 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Uwe-

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the safety issue regarding pulling "25amps . . . through the 7-way connector to the fridge heater with the pigtail moving around, etc."?

What could happen? Fire?

How to avoid this?

-Emily
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 07:17 AM   #35
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Emily,
The 25 A would be a maximum current that would flow from the tow vehicle to the refrigerator when it is being used on 12V. It is a considerable current, and one needs to make sure that the wiring and connections are very secure, to avoid excessive heat, fires and sparks. You typically only find currents this high flowing to the battery from the alternator, and perhaps to the dash a/c system, or electric radiator fans of tow vehicles. It is not an extremely high current, but higher and more constant than most things powered in a car or truck.
I would make sure that the charging wire for the 12V supply from tow vehicle to trailer is of sufficient size to handle this load, and that the pigtail and it's connectors are free of corrosion and are in a very good mechanical condition. I could see how on older rigs ( like mine) with looser contacts and/or corrodet pins problems might occur. The pigtail on my trailer moves around quite a bit when turning corners, sort of tugging at the vehicle side connector. The combination of this movement, the high current, possible corrosion, and loosened-by-age contacts would worry me enough to take extra safety measures before connecting a 12V refrigerator.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
UWE- sorry if the editing bothers you, but then what is a moderator for if not to moderate?
I edit only when I feel that the post has references in it that are offensive to some other member, and serve no purpose other than to poke at someone or someone's ideas. However if the posts are sparring back and forth over an issue and it makes sense then it stands. I am not prudish, by any means...
I hope to help keep this forum a pleasant and engaging place as it has been thus far.
Thanks for your involvement.