Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2002, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Cool well, I did it

On saturday I flew to Columbus, Ohio and traveled to Harrrisburg, Ohio. I looked at a 1981 Excella
and the owners demonstrated that everything worked and told me all that had been done and repaired or replaced and if anything did not work. A test drive later I decided to buy.
My son-in-law and I drove it back to Atlanta.
we spent the night in a flying J at knoxville.
arrived back in Griffin on sunday afternoon.
no problems on the way back.

when I got home my wife came out and looked it over and said she liked it.

so time will tell if I am the loon of the year or a smart shopper. Recycling is good right ??
Old 11-17-2002, 08:19 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
congrats on your new 1981 Airstream Excella Motorhome. You are way ahead of many of us, if most of the system worked at the time of purchase.
Now comes the next fun phase: discovery.
Whenever you get a chance, I would be curious to know if the rear airbag system on the 81's still used the 4 valve leveling system.
(actually 2 leveling valves and 2 solenoid valves)
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
oh yeah the ice maker does not work. at least they never tried to use it. so they didn't know if it was even hooked up...the original owner never used it also...
Old 11-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
You're batting 1.000 so far!

Your wife likes it! (Always important!)

It drove back with no problems!

I'm delighted for you. I'm glad an old unit is in good hands. It just breaks my heart to see these wonderful units (any Airstream) left to rot. Airstreams (TT's and MH's) are made so well and will provide many years of faithful service with TLC.

How fast did you drive back? On my first trip, I was hitting 75 mph and that nut Peter will never let me forget it!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
we drove back at 65-70. This was on I-75.
if we were slower we would get run over.

my goal is to run on us/state highways and leave the I roads to the truckers
Old 11-18-2002, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Congratulations!! We started with TTs and moved to our Argosy MH. I am sure you will love your new (to you) MH.

Now comes the fun part...time to get out and GO!!!

Quote:
How fast did you drive back? On my first trip, I was hitting 75 mph and that nut Peter will never let me forget it!
Fred, I am sure Brett has told you about the first time I drove our MH. When I got the speed up to 80 mph he would tell me to slow down. Yep, every single time. It was the next week he installed the cruise control.

The title of this thread is, "I Did It." So this seems like the appropriate place to post my little bit of news. I took the MH across the state last week, just Windsor and me.

I met other members of our WBCCI unit in Clermont, and then we drove to Christmas Airstream Park in Christmas, FL. Christmas is just west of Titusville/Cocoa.

I didn't hit any construction barrels, and only 2 or 3 orange cones.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
we are planning a weekender after thanksgiving when all the relatives depart.
as for driving through construction I followed a Winnebago and that driver kept the lanes clear.

Quote:
Originally posted by Edie G
Congratulations!! We started with TTs and moved to our Argosy MH. I am sure you will love your new (to you) MH.

Now comes the fun part...time to get out and GO!!!

I didn't hit any construction barrels, and only 2 or 3 orange cones.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I live in Atlanta, and bought my 82 motorhome in Ohio also. Flew up last year and drove it back, after doing the inspection at the airport in Dayton. It was a great ride back except for rain in the smoky mountains. It has been a learning curve ever since...bt a whole lot of good times as well.
I actually passed another Classic AS Motorhome going in the opposite direction, he flashed his lights and waved...I haven't seen another on the road since then.

(although I have seen a few off the road....campgrounds and dealer lots)
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
I have only seen one on the road. someone from paulding county
going to the race in Hampton in October. Never got close enough to see what year/model it was. It had wrap around rear window so I guess a rear bedroom.
this 454 didn't have any problems climbing into the Tenn. mountains, though I was expecting that area to be a problem.

too bad I have company comming for thanksgiving. that weekend would make a great first trip to check it out
Old 11-18-2002, 12:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
I meant to ask if this made you faster than a speeding silver bullet
Old 11-18-2002, 04:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I know what you mean about wanting to get out and use your new toy. My kids wanted to sleep in mine in the druveway when I first got it home. We ended up at Red Top Mountain for our first weekend, and had a great time. I didn't know how to hook up anything, and certainly didn't know how to dump the tanks. It was a learning weekend.
My next trip was a 7 hour drive into Florida, with a Wal Mart overnighter in S Georgia. That was different! We pulled into a super walmart at midnight, and slept until 7:30 when the lot clean up vaccuum guy woke us doing his work. After a stop at a scenic rest area to make breakfast we headed on to Ft Myers.
I loved the feeling of making coffee that first morning on the road, the way I like it, and in my own mug. Silly but true. actually after a year of traveling in the Airstream, I still get a kick out of that morning cup looking out the window at whatever scenery is there.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
morning coffee

Alan,
What is it about that morning cup of coffee while sitting in our Airstreams that we don't get at home or while sitting in a tent. I felt something entirely different when I sat down on the couch while sipping my first cup of coffee and looking down the hallway of my 31' Excella. I told myself that I had waited all my life to do this. No unzipping the tent opening, tripping over the lower entrance, pulling out the propane stove and connecting the hose before lighting it. My Cabela's Guide tent sits inside the camper and hasn't been used since Nov. '00 but I don't have the heart to sell it. It was the best of my tents and there may be times my kids may want to borrow it. Then there may be grandkids in the future, hopefully way into the future who might want to camp out in the back yard.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
Thumbs up tent as guest house

Craig,
We bring the tent for use as hiking and camping (Cumberland Island GA is my FAVORITE place on the East coast!!!---wishing for a red-eyed, buzzed-out smiley face right now,but will settle ) And NEVER expect to see an aircraft or an Airstream there ( The Savanah nucular weapons facility prevents non military fly-overs, that's how Kennedys avoided papanatzis' at their wedding on Cumberland a few years back).
This also provides extra housing for visitors (our poquita Casa del Canvas) and fly-in friends who want to borrow the beloved old tent-which has been more places than I!
Habitudinally, Todd
tod47d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Congrats on your find. Did you have a difficult time finding your MH? I havent seen many 81's. I purchased my 28' in Sept. Was completely original and in very fine shape. I have started the dawnting task of stripping and polishing. We had the transmission gone over re-sealed and then the master cylinder replaced. All systems are working fine, including that fine peice of Audio Equipment 8track player. The ice maker was not working but I found a place that fixed it for me for $60.00, it works well but it would be hard pressed to put out the 20lbs a day that the owners manual stated it will make. Have fun.
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Actually I found three one on Ebay located in Alabama that is relisted and had some damage from backing into a canopy i was told.
a 6.2 desiel (no turbo ) in Loudonville Ohio that had not been restored .it also had some dents.
the third was in Harrisburg ohio and had a rebuilt engine new tires and carpeting and new captains chairs and upholstery
I went to check out the third one and bought it.
the last two were found on the forsale page of the VAC web page

Quote:
Originally posted by jaiman
Congrats on your find. Did you have a difficult time finding your MH? I havent seen many 81's. I purchased my 28' in Sept. Was completely original and in very fine shape.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:37 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Thumbs up

Its been a long time since I was at Red Top Mtn. We like it there...I am thinking about a weekend at George L. Smith after Thanksgiving. My son wnats to go fishing. you are so right about that first cup of coffee. it makes the rest of the day.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:42 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Re: tent as guest house

I agree about Cumberland Island with its wild horses and isolation but is you wan t a little more isolation and 7.5 miles of beach all to your self try Sapelo Island. its is a little more difficult to get to but alot of fun. it is still undeveloped so far
Old 11-19-2002, 09:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
To show how weird I am...my wife will catch me gazing out the window at the Airsteam in the driveway...she's wondering what in the heck I am doing....
I'm either cruising down some nice "mental" highway, or planning my next upgrade/repair/maintain job.....
Old 11-19-2002, 10:42 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
I hear that. How many times have you been to Montana or Alaska or north Carolina or the rock bound coast of Maine and beyond.
this sounds like the Airstreamers version of the Nascar adv.
"About how bad do you have it???
A bad Day Camping is better than sitting here at work looking out the window , or A mind is a terrible thing to waste !!
We are lucky here in Georgia in that we can go each weekend to a different state park and most will be only a tank(even with a 454) away.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:26 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Peter,
you asked about the leveling system on a 1981.
it does have two solenoid valves and two leveling valves according to the airstream service manual.

John