Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Motorhome sizes vs license

I was at the RV show yesterday and noticed something kind of scary. I hope that the sales guy was lying to me on this one. I saw a "motorhome" that was a Freightliner cab with a tandem axle and dualies at the rear. Thing had to have a gross weight at something around 40,000 Lbs Air brakes and the whole nine yards!!! I looked in the cab and man it was a semi tractor not an RV.

The salesman tells me that you do not need any special license to drive it!?!?!!?

I have to have a Class C to drive the "little" 26 foot straight truck at work. If it had air brakes I would need an air break endorsment too.

Does this scare anyone else?????
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Ted,

He probably meant you don't need a CDL licence to drive it. Here's the lowdown for Illinois:
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu.../dsd_x1429.pdf
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
till,
Unfortunately the salesman was basically right. I have a Class A (CDL) in NC with Hazmat endorsement. In NC you are not required to have a CDL to drive recreational vehicles, fire trucks or military vehicles. It amazes me the number of bus type RV's out there and the person at the wheel has little or no training in handling a vehicle of that size or complexity.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I too, have a Class A (CDL), with quite a few endorsments as well, in Ca. At least these new bus type rv's have air dryers, but what about those that have s cam brake's?
I guess they can call one of those roadside mechanic's, when the brakes seem weak or weird (ever roll over an s cam ?).
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Up until last year, you could drive one of those, if you owned it, but you couldn't legally drive a 3/4 ton pickup without a CDL in our state. By law, you can drive as big a motor home as is legal to operate on the highway, and you can do this with nothing more than your operator's license. Pretty scary, especially when you conjsider that most RV owners are retirees that have never driven anything bigger than a minivan.