Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #21
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
RV Storage

Does anyone know of a place close by PHX where I could store a 28 ft MH for a month or two....until better weather. Still up in the air if I'm even going to get this MH...people still not co-operating. I plan to call the police today see if they will go over and check the VIN for me. Even the VIN that these people gave me does not look right. For one thing most MH Vins I've seen start with an M, probably for motorhome. The one they gave me starts CPY.

Thanks
Charles
Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2
Does anyone know of a place close by PHX where I could store a 28 ft MH for a month or two....until better weather. Still up in the air if I'm even going to get this MH...people still not co-operating. I plan to call the police today see if they will go over and check the VIN for me. Even the VIN that these people gave me does not look right. For one thing most MH Vins I've seen start with an M, probably for motorhome. The one they gave me starts CPY.

Thanks
Charles
Charles,
A couple of possibilities on the VIN they might be using the Chassis number vs Body number. I have run into this before on a "converted" truck.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Of course this is all 20/20 hindsight but I had my PO fax me a copy of the title before I boaded my flight to MD to inspect and drive away. There were things about the coach that didn't match the auction on eBay but minor enough not to be an overriding issue.
It's often a rocky road with folks who have not bought or sold vehicles much and a certain level of trust is always up to the buyer. From what you've said of the process to date I'm very much on the low side of what is often described by others as being too trusting.
The photos you posted did get sent by the seller right? I just wonder if they don't feel like they've left money on the table and have sellers remorse.
Time will tell. I for one would just like to go and secure it, get it out of their hands and then figure out getting it home. Once you get your hands on it you'll be able to tell in short order if it's road worthy.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #24
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
I'll start by saying IT'S A LITTLE BIT BRIGHTER DAY TODAY.
I called the Apache Junction Police Dept yesterday....pretty much a waste of time. They told me they could do nothing until I get there and if PO would refuse to give up MH. I ask....well can you at least drive by the house and check the VIN number for me because I felt the one I had was boogus. They said no they couldn't .... I said I know you're busy....just asking you to drive by when you happen to be in neighborhood....they said no they couldn't. Finally the officer said he would run the VIN just to see if it was on a 1978 Argosy MH. Yiiiiipee....it came back correct. I breathed a nice long breath inward. Of course that info by itself does not get me the MH.
I then left the PO (the so called Pastor) a phone message saying again that day I had not recieved the title and I was thinking of legal action. (the only reason for me saying that was because of the many messages I had sent that went unanswered...and the many promises PO had made that he just did not come through with). Anyway....later that night I got email from PO....he was very upset with me....but he sent me a copy of a postal reciept showing he has sent a registered letter to me....I should get the title today. I've got my fingers crossed. One problem I think caused this whole thing is that the PO had never sold anything on Ebay before. Communication is so very important in Ebay transactions. I guess he thought that oncehe had my money he did not have to do anything more. I won't required much more of him if he would have sent me the title two weeks ago....when he originally said he would. Oh well.... I have learned from this.
Have a great day
Charles
Old 01-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
tn2---don't allow this guy to put a guilt trip on you --- you have every right to expect him to hold up his end of the bargain in a timely manner. had he delivered the vehicle and you delayed payment i think you would find him as suspecious as you as you've been of him. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #26
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Update

Well at long last I got the MH moved to Dillon's RV City. Not so sure Dillon's is where I should have taken it to but I am just happy to have it out from under the control of the PO. I plan to have Dillons go through it to try and make it road worthy. I was kinda discouraging when Dillons called me and said..."don't know how much you know about this MH". I say Why? He says well for one thing IT's Old. I tried to tell him it's not pronouced OLD but Classic. I'm pretty sure I'll put more into this MH than it originally cost me. I like to do machanical type work....and as my wife has said....you can only repair so many weed eaters LOL. It will be a challenge.
I leave on Monday to fly out to PHX....so the fun is about to begin.

Charles
Old 01-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #27
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Dillon RV is the only Airstream service facility in the Phoenix area, but I have never been to the facility. Oasis RV is an excellent service facility, but they are 100+ miles down the road in Tucson.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #28
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Dillons is charging me $500 just to do the inspecting....to see what they think it needs... The MH just came up to PHX from Tucson by PO. Since I would be going through Tucson I originally thought I'd take it to Oasis....but someone scared me out about tires so I elected to go to Dillons. Then I find out that Dillons doesn't even do tires....they take MH someplace for tires. It's terrible trying to do this stuff over the phone
Charles
Old 01-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello tn2 ,seems like you need to get to your rig and look it over and go to a tire shop that can fit up the new rubber ,and then go to where you feel that your going to get taken care of . you don't need any RV place to put on tires
just one that can do it ,its not special cause its a motor home in regaurds to
the tires (Im sure you know that ) but get over to it quick .
Happy youve finally got it out of AP junction

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #30
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
If I were there that is exactly what I would do as far as the tires go. I just felt that I had to do something to get the MH moved from PO....Dillons was the closest one....and they offered to go pick it up....so I feel I owe Dillons some piece of the work....but I agree it doesn't sound like Dillons is really the place to go for major service. I would think they should be able to do all the fuild changes....maybe the tune up. I'm hoping that the air bags can just be aired up and capped off some way.
Another couple days I will be deep in the mist of MH repair.

Charles
Old 01-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
The bottom line is that even if you overpay for the service you'll know, if you check behind them, that the work was done. Do check from top to bottom the work they say they have done. Take the work order and a pen and check each item. It's not like you'll be able to go back if you find something they missed later.
My coach had a MD state inspection 3 months before I bought it. I wondered how they missed the front air bags being competely shredded? Just like aircraft annual inspections you can pay for paperwork or actual mechanical inspection and repair.
When you check it out take your flashlight and borrow a creeper to check the work below. Lots of oil changers forget to lube the drive shaft and suspension.
The rear air bags should be fused from the main panel to the compressor. The leveler switches should be lubed with spray lube too. Don't be tempted to drive it far or fast without the bags inflated. Most truck repair shops can do the rear bags as they are pretty common American Carrier parts.
Remember to drive slow and keep that radio turned off until you get used to all the noises as you drive, sound tells you a lot about what's going on before anything bad happens.
Check the rear pumpking to see if the check/fill bolt has been off during the inspection... all the normal tell tale stuff....
Hope the journey is smoother than the purchase and that you are pleased with it when you see it.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I live beteen Interstate 44 and Old Route 66 in Oklahoma if you decide to drive and need a resting place. I am about 10 miles north of Interstate 40 if that's the road you're taking. Whenever you decide to take your Argosy home, remember there is an Argosy owner on your way. PM me if you need any help around central Oklahoma. Oh, by the way, I decided to skip a flight to MN to see my husband because of the huge storm moving in here last night. NOTHING SO FAR........AND I'M DEPRESSED
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #33
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
No Snow in Oklahoma

Hurrah for no snow in Oklahoma.... Thanks for the weather report. Actually I have been watching that weather over there as well. I lived a couple years in Tulsa and know that those ice storms can be bad. Thanks also for the rest offer but I'm coming up through Texas via Dallas and Texarkana on Hwy 30.....don't connect up with 40 until Little Rock. I'm sure by the time I get to that part of the country I will need a rest....I only hope the weather doesn't get bad.
Have a great day...and Hey....winter can't last forever
Charles
Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #34
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Hey Glen

I know this has nothing to do with airstreams but you mention annuals on airplanes....do you fly or connected with aviation in some way...just wondering....I used to do those annuals you speak of.....the good kind....not the paperwork kind.

Charles
Old 01-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Charles, indeed I've had a little aviation experience. I had my 15 months of fame back in the late 80's as an aviation photographer. I worked as an editorial shooter for the commercial aviation publications of the day. If you go back to 88-89 you'll see my work on any number of magazine covers.
I graduated to the sales and brokerage side a bit later and landed in Florida. I managed to get all my time, 1500 hrs and a multi ticket without flying a "hobby" hour.
I keep trying to get back in the saddle but time and money don't come together at the same time it seems. Somebody else always paid the way back then.
I can't even find much time to shoot anymore, even though I just bought a new 4x5 a few months ago.... but that'll change here soon.
Hope the trip this week goes smooth. Go slow, you'll get there.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #36
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Mh

Well I'm all packed....ready to head out tomorrow morning bright and early. Have to take my wife to a doctors appointment first then its on to Nasville to catch my flight. Get this.....I have to fly to Charolette NC ( thats on the east coast) to catch a flight to PHX. That was the cheapest one way ticket on US Air. Think one way from Tennessee to PHX was $126 dollars. By the time everything is fixed on the MH $126 dollars will be one of the cheap items of this trip. I'm always interested in what things cost....and like reading what others of you pay for your MH upkeep....so I'll let you know later what some of the expenses are.

Charles
Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #37
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
aviation

Glen

I wanted to add.... I retired about two years ago from the FAA so anytime you want to talk aviation I'm all ears. I'm a life long reader of Flying Magazine (and others) so I bet I've seen your work.

Charles
Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Charles, it's Saturday and we've not heard from you.... I'm taking this as a positive. Figure you'd be on the road with no computer and making your way home. If you got stuck down there we'd have heard from you somehow I bet.
Let us know how the oddesy has unfolded..... when you arrive home.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
It's late Monday night.... wonder where Charles is tonight???
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #40
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Argosy MH

Hi to all you nice people....YES.... I finally made it home...What a trip that was. One thing I know for sure....there is a GOD and He took care of me!
That motor home was next thing to being a total loss.... I'm not kidding. Don't know what I really expected in a 29 year old vehicle but all I can say is the PO Greatly misrepresented that MH. When I first saw it ...in the shop in PHX I had to recall to myself that grown men don't cry over that sort of thing. So I don't keep you guessing any longer.... The MH run like a top all the way home....not one problem....well I take that back....one windshield wiper fell apart (of course it was brand new...put on by Dillon's) But due to my good luck I never needed the wipers at all. The new tires turned out to be one of the cheaper things....six tires for just a little more than $1000. Actually all I had done was complete fluid change on all fluids....lub and filters changed....tune up...plugs etc. By the time I finally escape from Dillon's I plunked over $5000. Seems like every task Dillon's did cost 500. There's signs all over saying $112 per hour and 10 hour minimum. I didn't push it on the way home.....drove about 60 all the way....took 3 1/2 days to drive the 1647 miles. I would average about 500 miles per day.
I have started work on restoring the old gal already....she is in such bad shape....I will try to put some pics on line. Sure hope you people are going to help me fix this thing up....LOL.... one thing I need right away is two panes of glass. The big glass at the rear end is broken and one of the little curved sky lite windows is broken. Any one have experience with replacing and where to buy them. It's good to be home....now the labor of love starts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	31593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	31594